Disable Post Count in Off-Topic or all together

Actually, that's easy. I can simply configure each single forum whether the post count should increase or not there.
That'd be pretty dirty though, and wouldn't improve the qualitative meaning (or lack thereof) of post counts either. Plus, it will probably leave many future users wondering. In other words, I wouldn't recommend doing this, at all.

I think you misunderstood what I was getting at.  I was merely giving an example.  My point is that post count and "veteran status" don't matter, but some people might give them undue consideration.

I understand, some people may give post count undue consideration. My point is that the solution is not therefore to hide the information.

I think you misunderstood what I was getting at.  I was merely giving an example.  My point is that post count and "veteran status" don't matter, but some people might give them undue consideration.

I understand, some people may give post count undue consideration. My point is that the solution is not therefore to hide the information.
Ok, so we probably won't agree.  I feel it is best to put everyone on equal ground.  Not everyone feels this way and it has caused issues in the past on other forums where I expected that long time members would be held to the same standard as others (if not a higher standard, since new people may need time to feel the place out and figure out what is ok).  Since I didn't ignore things that would have been considered unacceptable if they had been said or done by newer members when they were done by the more "senior" people and treated them appropriately for the situation it bothered a bunch since I wasn't "respecting their seniority".  In other words there were double standards, and anything done by those with a huge post count was considered acceptable.  I don't see that happening here, but if asked I will point out that it can become a problem, and I feel it is best to avoid it.

Ok, so we probably won't agree.  I feel it is best to put everyone on equal ground.  Not everyone feels this way and it has caused issues in the past on other forums where I expected that long time members would be held to the same standard as others (if not a higher standard, since new people may need time to feel the place out and figure out what is ok).  Since I didn't ignore things that would have been considered unacceptable if they had been said or done by newer members when they were done by the more "senior" people and treated them appropriately for the situation it bothered a bunch since I wasn't "respecting their seniority".  In other words there were double standards, and anything done by those with a huge post count was considered acceptable.  I don't see that happening here, but if asked I will point out that it can become a problem, and I feel it is best to avoid it.
Except that if people are going to discriminate on such a basis, hiding the post count won't stop it.   Regulars will still recognise other regular posters and newbies will still be labelled as newbies. This solves nothing. The post count is not a causal factor of any of the social issues on the board, so removing it counts for nothing.

-Neelix

Except that if people are going to discriminate on such a basis, hiding the post count won't stop it.   Regulars will still recognise other regular posters and newbies will still be labelled as newbies. This solves nothing. The post count is not a causal factor of any of the social issues on the board, so removing it counts for nothing.

-Neelix
I don't really feel like continuing with this.  I have already stated my position on the issue.  ED has already made his decision.  It is done.   

The example I gave wasn't a newbies vs regulars thing, it was about only expecting newbies to follow the rules while older members could do whatever they wanted.  Most people followed the rules, but some didn't and when called out on it some felt that older members shouldn't be punished while newbies should be.  Many of the regulars also felt this was wrong.  It doesn't matter if what I think is actually the best way to handle such a situation.  Some places do it anyway.  I feel it is a good choice.  Regardless of if this is the issue that led to the discussion here, the decision has been made here to get rid of post count.

The example I gave wasn't a newbies vs regulars thing, it was about only expecting newbies to follow the rules while older members could do whatever they wanted.  Most people followed the rules, but some didn't and when called out on it some felt that older members shouldn't be punished while newbies should be.  Many of the regulars also felt this was wrong. 

I don't disagree with having a problem with double standards.   You're right that there shouldn't be, and that doing something about it would probably be a good idea, but that still has nothing to do with having or not having a visible post count.   If you don't like seeing the post count, fine, just say you don't like it, I'm not going to argue with personal preference.   The majority of the very small selection of voters voted against it and I accept that, but if you think this is going to solve anything you are going to be sorely disappointed.

-Neelix

I don't think it will solve the problem it is expected to here.  On that you are absolutely right.  

So has this voting posts up and down stuff been changed/adjusted? It's a con-fusion...

Well, I now seem to be able to cancel out -1s with a vote up.  It does jump to +1 for a moment, but then back to 0, where it's meant to go, and it stays there.

I'm thinking of raising an issue that if you're on page n>1 of a thread and hit the 'sort by date' button, it jumps you back to the first page.  That's an annoyance if you've come to the thread to see the new posts.

Back