Discuss The Quotes Thread For The Blog

Mithrildor

I Haz Custom Title
Website
Visit site
In this topic you can discuss the quotes in the "Quotes thread for the blog" thread.

A few simple rules:

-Stay ontopic.
-Stay polite (aka dont flame Craig)
-Say about which quote you are talking (either summarizing whats in it, quoting someone who already explained about which quote he was talking , write its date and time or something else)

The quotes

Last edited by a moderator:
This was posted in the other thread:

Mithrildor said:
I think the chance of a major Hardware issue has lowered some more. Adn the 300 KB/s is the normal speed thats in specs I guess, so it sends a signal right at full speed.
It should be pointed out that the first part of this statement is entirely speculation and none of the developers have stated whether or not it's a hardware issue.

Mithrildor said:
But at the quote at post #125 in the quote topic ED kinda says the chance for a hardware issue is small.
Yeah but that wasn't in the post where you commented.

It is still possible that electrical noise could be interfering with the radio receiver even though the transmitter works. Let's wait and see what mweston says.

I'm a bit confused. There's a 5.5x drop in speed when going from the minimal kernel to the normal image, and they think it might *not* be a software issue? How does that conclusion get drawn?

benji_stein said:
I'm a bit confused. There's a 5.5x drop in speed when going from the minimal kernel to the normal image, and they think it might *not* be a software issue? How does that conclusion get drawn?

Well, say the minimal kernel doesn't enable all chips or run them at maximum speed. Then they'd give off less interference. Make sense?

I'm not saying it's true, just that it's possible (though seems unlikely).

Yikes - 45KB "peak" in minimal testing situation for WiFi turns to 8KB max (presumably "peak" also) with a full OS... no wonder OpenPandora got nervous and started offering wiFi dongles. That'd still be useable in 1995, but with the sheer volume of data for modern web sites that would be... bad now IMHO :(

45KB really is not all that bad. I think they actually said it was 45Kb(bits not bytes), which is abismal. That's slower than a analog modem.

^ It was confirmed that it's kilobytes. Check the quotes thread for the latest info.

@Mithrildor, maybe you should add a link to the quotes thread in the first post :)

edit:
And thumbs up for your dedication :)

I'd just like to point out, the WiFi is more than just slow, I believe it's been said it's also dropping packets.

I have an 8Mb/s connection here, but when it started dropping packets (my brother discovered bittorrent) it became entirely unusable.
I don't expect a 45KB/s connection to fare any better.

Aninhumer said:
I'd just like to point out, the WiFi is more than just slow, I believe it's been said it's also dropping packets.
I think that's why they said it was slow, actually, because it was dropping received packets.
So it's not like "our Wi-Fi is okay by 1995 standards", it's like "Our Wi-Fi is from 2007 and broken as hell, and it would have been broken as hell in 1995 too"

I don't get it, why can't people write kB like it should be? Lower case k and upper case B? And yeah, it's important to separate b (bits) from B (bytes). But ED confirmed it being bytes. While it is standard to write connection speeds in bits you usually see speeds in bytes when downloading things.

50 kB/s equals 400 kb/s. That's less then a standard 512 kb/s ADSL connection which should be OK for surfing the web but a pain to download anything on. We also don't have Flash support. However, 8 kB/s is equal to 64 kb/s which is barely faster then a dial up (56k) modem and while you can surf on that it's not exactly fast.

Mithrildor said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1dSj6s_apM&feature=youtube_gdata
I just wanted to say thanks very much for posting this in the quotes thread, Mithrildor. If you hadn't, I wouldn't have seen it - and the Atari 2600 was a system that I was hoping to see a working emulator for. :)

Portable Cosmic Ark, here I come.
grin.gif

Attachments

• grin.gif
    grin.gif
    352 bytes · Views: 92
Aninhumer said:
I have an 8Mb/s connection here, but when it started dropping packets (my brother discovered bittorrent) it became entirely unusable.

With mldonkey_server I've never seen packet dropping. mldonkey supports bittorrent too.

Prometheus said:
Mithrildor said:
I just wanted to say thanks very much for posting this in the quotes thread, Mithrildor. If you hadn't, I wouldn't have seen it - and the Atari 2600 was a system that I was hoping to see a working emulator for. :)

grin.gif

and it works at full speed! :D

to the wifi-topic: as it has already been said, it's only the rx which is very slow.. seems like an driver issue to me. (just my opinion)

Attachments

• grin.gif
    grin.gif
    352 bytes · Views: 91
Prometheus said:
Mithrildor said:

grin.gif

I do not get why people are so into Atari 2600. I can only suspect it has nostalgic value to those who played on one back when it was new. Or I haven't seen any of the good games.

Attachments

• grin.gif
    grin.gif
    352 bytes · Views: 92
Awakening said:
I do not get why people are so into Atari 2600. I can only suspect it has nostalgic value to those who played on one back when it was new. Or I haven't seen any of the good games.
Oh come on! E.T.! I love that little guy.

WizardStan said:
Awakening said:

wasn't E.T. the game, which atari buried in the desert?

LeChuck87 said:
WizardStan said:
Awakening said:

wasn't E.T. the game, which atari buried in the desert?
Yes. That's the joke.

Back