Do I Have The Ability To Mod My Gp?

Fyvve

Website
Visit site
So i have no soldering experience save the time i tried to chip my ps2 and ended up ruining it. I have a FLU. I am pretty sure i do not have the skill to do the voltage mod but what about the glass screen replacement? Ive read the directions for disassembling the gp but i cant tell how hard it really is for someone like me. Mashmods dont work on gp's anymore so i am wondering if its possible to do these things myself. Is there anything i can practice soldering on or maybe some directions for doing soldering in general? Thanks.

Edit: I would also like to replace the hard plastic buttons with rubbery buttons like the start and select buttons. Anyone know anything about this?

Steve-O posted on Oct 15 2004 at 02:56 PM said:
personally I would say "Leave that Poor GP32 alone" :)

Yeah i hear you on that but i have a sickness. One that wont let me leave good enough alone. I think alot of us here have the same sickness.

Last edited by a moderator:
search the boards and find the post with mods gone bad from people that thought they could do it themselves, then make your decision, personally, i won't do anything myself, i don't have $150 to piss away on a new one.

Opening it and putting it back together isn't that hard.
You don't even HAVE to open it to do the glass mod.
You just have to be VERY careful removing the old plastic screen, unless you want scratches on your plastic cover or, even worse, on your LCD.

You absolutely do need NO soldering skills for that.

EvilDragon posted on Oct 15 2004 at 03:35 PM said:
Opening it and putting it back together isn't that hard.
You don't even HAVE to open it to do the glass mod.
You just have to be VERY careful removing the old plastic screen, unless you want scratches on your plastic cover or, even worse, on your LCD.

Umm, well how do i remove the plastic screen without opening the gp? I know i can get it apart, i just dont know if i can get it back together. The part i am most worried about is having to desolder the FLU part. Anyway, those are my concerns. I really dont think i would try the voltage mod but maybe i would if i had something to practice on first (an old modem? would that help me get an idea?) I just dont know how i would ever know if i was doing it right.

you know the old saying, "if it aint broke, don't fix it", you don't sound to confident in that you can do the job so why even try and mess up your GP32?

extremegamer posted on Oct 15 2004 at 04:27 PM said:
you know the old saying, "if it aint broke, don't fix it", you don't sound to confident in that you can do the job so why even try and mess up your GP32?

Yeah i know but i would like to get to the point of knowledge or experience or whatever that would allow me to do this with confidence. I just dont know where to begin (obviously not on my gp.) You dig? I have a broken GG, should i open it up and practice there?

aapje89 posted on Oct 15 2004 at 05:26 PM said:
with "voltage mod" do you mean the mod to see the voltage on the gp32 or the overclocking thing?

Overclocking (Changing the resistors)

Replacing the screen with a glass screen is fairly easy. But if you would rather smoeone else do it you can send it to me. :)

www.gp32z.com

heres what you do
go to the local hardware store, get a perscision soldering pen ( under 20 USD$ )
then get a big magnifying glass made for soldering ( ebay , cheap )
then get any old video card ( can be the worst piece of shit, you wont be using it )
practice soldering off and back on the indvigual ram chips and other things
remeber, a lot of the pins in the GP32 are .5 MM apart
could you solder that???
thats the question of the day
If you arent good, and want to waist 150 bucks, I can show you more fun ways

~Octavious

Fyvve posted on Oct 15 2004 at 02:32 PM said:
So i have no soldering experience save the time i tried to chip my ps2 and ended up ruining it. I have a FLU. I am pretty sure i do not have the skill to do the voltage mod but what about the glass screen replacement? Ive read the directions for disassembling the gp but i cant tell how hard it really is for someone like me. Mashmods dont work on gp's anymore so i am wondering if its possible to do these things myself. Is there anything i can practice soldering on or maybe some directions for doing soldering in general? Thanks.

Edit: I would also like to replace the hard plastic buttons with rubbery buttons like the start and select buttons. Anyone know anything about this?
I would recommend not adding a glass screen to your GP32 as it is a FLU and the light guide of a FLU is very easy to damage.
Search for light guide on the forum and you will see my post and the problems I had...

Coming from a micro electronics engineer, I would definately say, Don't mess with your GP32 if you don't know what you're doing.
There's all sorts of things that could go wrong. Even touching the board without proper precautions could kill your GP due to static.
I would have thought you would have learned a big lesson with the chipping playstation disaster.

If you really must mod it, get somone to do it for you who is qualified.

Clare.

ok, simply put... if you can find a light guide to put onto the glass screen you should be fine but trying to take the light guide off the plastic one or using it without will not have the desired effect.

I marked my Light guide.. I touched it and theres like a faint black mark on it when I turn the FLU on.. Is it possible to wipe this mark off some how (Maybe I just left a finger print on it)?

if your not confident dont desolder anything is my advise because if you do try your hands will probably shake and then you risk screwing everthing up either send it off to someone who knows what they are doing, or find a mate who is confiedent in soldering! but if you just want a glass screen get a BLU they are really good!

Back