Do You Think It'll Be Possible

someboddy

Still Fresh
to program and compile on the Pandora itself(since it runs on Linux has a keyboard)? It will be really awesome if we the GamePark(or anyone else) make a compiler and an IDE to run on the System.

Well, you can program and compile on the gp2x, so it shouldn't be a problem on the Pandora :)

All you'll need to do is use a text editor on the Pandora to make the source and makefile, then you could run the compilers from the commandline.

It'd be a lot nicer to program from the pc though.

I expect I shall make a brainf**k interpreter with a GUI though. Hours of fun!

Python and PyGame (or any other library) would rock on the Pandora :) Since it is a scripting, no lengthy build time waits no matter the size of project.

yaustar said:
Python and PyGame (or any other library) would rock on the Pandora :) Since it is a scripting, no lengthy build time waits no matter the size of project.
I second that one. The Pandora has enough mhz that it shouldn't be too hard to get decent python performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
there is a new gameframework called löve (love.sourceforge.net) They are in heavy development and the games can be coded in lua. Distribution of the games will be possible with .tar-archives renamed .love and are directly interpreted. Tutorials are released frequently, so even beginners should get a fast start in gameproduction.

yaustar said:
Also: PySoy, which will hopefully make it possible to create well-performing 3D games in Python with ease. (Though I haven't tried it yet, so it might suck for some reason)

what's the problem? for c/c++ programming you need nothing more than a good texteditor and a compiler. Both will be easy to implement. An IDE on such a small display would be senseless. don't understand why you seem to have a preference to java instead of python. Python is platformindependent, powerful and modular. That's exactly what a linux-handheld can make best use of.

Python will be awesome. I can work on games whereever I am!

The only reason I couldn't do the same with c++ is because of compiling. I suppose it wouldn't be THAT hard, but python just makes it so much simpler :) And Psyco takes care of any speed problems.

Actually I think it'd really rock if Pandora shipped with *everything* you need to make a game for it, already installed .. gcc, editor, make tools, etc.

I mean, come on .. its the 21st Century, and computers are *still* being decoupled from their development environments? Give it to us onboard, yo! Don't make me your devkit bitch just coz you don't think it'll fit inside!

I want gcc on-board, at least! :)

someboddy said:
to program and compile on the Pandora itself(since it runs on Linux has a keyboard)? It will be really awesome if we the GamePark(or anyone else) make a compiler and an IDE to run on the System.
I was going to ask the same question but thought I'd be flamed. Glad you weren't afraid to ask this question.

Back