Ubuntu Development Ide

hi inksmithy, whats the make error you're getting?
basically, instructions are good, just add an
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/open2x/bin
export OPEN2X=/usr/local/open2x

before you start as root....
(make needs to be run as root)

I was getting all sorts of bizarre things from SDL errors to there being apparantly impossible constraints. The most memorable was :

Code:
gcc: gengtype-lex.c: No such file or directory
gcc: no input files
make[2]: *** [build/gengtype-lex.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/alan/toolchain/gcc-4.0.2/build-open2x-stage1/gcc'
make[1]: *** [all-gcc] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/alan/toolchain/gcc-4.0.2/build-open2x-stage1'
alan@AlansLaptop:/etc$ gcc] Error 2

which was odd.

I ended up installing libtools and having another go at Oopos, which ended up working after disabling SDL_SVG in the makefile of that one.

I have a feeling the problem was that I am doing this on Edgy Eft rather than dapper, so I seriously do think you guys should put that on the wiki because thb, that system looked really good.

thanks heaps for your help, I will no doubt be calling on you again at some point.

Thanks for your help though, I think I will be asking for more of it in the future ;)

I was getting all sorts of bizarre things from SDL errors to there being apparantly impossible constraints.
i just got that too in svg lib, odd, worked on home machine.
just remove it as a make target from makefile as workaround.

your other problems very possibly stem from runningn make as root without having exported open2x and path, which would dump open2x-gcc etc etc in /bin....
have a bit of a housecleaning session and you'll probably be ok.

v. odd about the sdl_svg though....
same system @ home and work :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
poddy posted on Dec 4 2006 at 08:45 PM said:
I was getting all sorts of bizarre things from SDL errors to there being apparantly impossible constraints.
i just got that too in svg lib, odd, worked on home machine.
just remove it as a make target from makefile as workaround.

your other problems very possibly stem from runningn make as root without having exported open2x and path, which would dump open2x-gcc etc etc in /bin....
have a bit of a housecleaning session and you'll probably be ok.

v. odd about the sdl_svg though....
same system @ home and work :blink:

I ended up having huge difficulties getting an IDE to work with Oopo's toolchain and went back to have another go at open2x.

As you say, running that with sudo and trying to make it work just isn't fun at all. In the end, cleaning up and enlisting some help from oskude on #gp2xdev in efnet meant I got the toolchain to run beautifuly and compile the test program from svn,

Now if I can get the compiler working correctly in Code::Blocks I will be an extremely happy chappy.

I have been doing a bit of research about those particular SDL libraries and it would seem the version of GCC in Edgy and the version of glibc are somewhat incompatible. You can make them work, but its tough. The SDL_svg I just commented out in the makefile and it all worked nicely.

oskude made some notes while he was installing on his edgy system and I'm going to flesh them out a bit and put them in the wiki. Once I have figured out how to integrate the open2x toolchain into Code::Blocks I will put that on the wiki as well. Feel free to contribute if you have any ideas along that front. Unfortunately its not precisely the same as the wiki pages concerning Code::Blocks on Windows, not least because open2x renames the compilers...

thanks again for your help,

Alan

hiya,
don't use an ide, just use kate :)
for me the complete solution was as simple as...
1.) su
2.) nano -w ~/.bashrc
3.) export OPEN2X=/usr/local/open2x
4.) export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/open2x/bin
5.) ctrl-o
6.) ctrl-x
7.) exit
8.) svn co https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/open2x/trunk/toolchain toolchain
9.) cd toolchain
10. ) su
11.) make
12.) cd ../
13.) exit
14.) svn co https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/open2x/trunk/libs libs
15.) cd libs
16.) kate makefile
17.) #TARGETS += $(PREFIX)/lib/libSDL_svg.a
18.) su
19.) make

think thats it :)

If worst comes to worst, install wine. I know it works generally decent with dev-c++ if you don't turn on XP themes, although i remember a few crashes (Although i could still use the program, less of a problem, more of a slight annoyance.) Hopefully, Code::Blocks isn't too far away and you can use wine to run that and a GCC toolkit. Notice that if your doing any kernel work, avoid this because its really effing slow.

If you think this is a stupid idea, you'd be surprised. No, not that it will work, about how many other stupid things i do in Linux :) I'm trying to build a Knoppix based distro for gtkpod and some scripts and a daemon to keep it mounted. I learned how stupid I am with Linux. And owning an iPod would always help, mind you.

Tell me if that sketched out wine idea works. If you have to install it from source, download code-weavers source code and install for a GUI boost. And if you want it to work easier, the crossover package is cheap. Yeah, and if you think I'm a total retard, your probably right :)

edit: Oh, and screw everything :p when i broke my X installation because of nVidia problems, i ended up having to use Vim to edit all of my files. I wrote a very small program. If i ever submitted it, i would probably get beaten for it. Its that simple. (And my X problems were fixed after i upgraded my kernel and reinstalled the drivers :p)

Nmn posted on Dec 6 2006 at 01:05 AM said:
If worst comes to worst, install wine. I know it works generally decent with dev-c++ if you don't turn on XP themes, although i remember a few crashes (Although i could still use the program, less of a problem, more of a slight annoyance.) Hopefully, Code::Blocks isn't too far away and you can use wine to run that and a GCC toolkit. Notice that if your doing any kernel work, avoid this because its really effing slow.

If you think this is a stupid idea, you'd be surprised. No, not that it will work, about how many other stupid things i do in Linux :) I'm trying to build a Knoppix based distro for gtkpod and some scripts and a daemon to keep it mounted. I learned how stupid I am with Linux. And owning an iPod would always help, mind you.

Tell me if that sketched out wine idea works. If you have to install it from source, download code-weavers source code and install for a GUI boost. And if you want it to work easier, the crossover package is cheap. Yeah, and if you think I'm a total retard, your probably right :)

edit: Oh, and screw everything :p when i broke my X installation because of nVidia problems, i ended up having to use Vim to edit all of my files. I wrote a very small program. If i ever submitted it, i would probably get beaten for it. Its that simple. (And my X problems were fixed after i upgraded my kernel and reinstalled the drivers :p)

I don't think there is any such thing as being an idiot for finding a solution to a problem. A lot of people just give up and walk away, which is what I think is truly stupid. A solution may not be the most elegant solution and hardcore linux geeks may curse you for not understanding how the proper application of regex and inverse php scripting would have meant you were truly swimming with the penguins, but it is still a solution and it means you can go on and do whatever it was you were trying to do other than screwing around with the operating system.

That wine idea is a damn good one, but it came just too late, because I have managed to get the toolchain compiled (although not with SDL_svg, which is a shame - the time may come when I'm looking for that particular spanner) and I'm starting to delve into the code.

That said though, I think the solution of wine and Dev-C++ should go into the wiki as something for new linux users to play with until they want to try their hands at something more complicated. If I had thought of it, I would have done it, at least for a few weeks.

cheers

If you ever get Open2x working try compiling the libraries for it.

Fetch the libs folder from the subversion.
Change this libs makefile so it starts out like this:

Code:
 BUILD  = $(shell uname -m)
 HOST   = open2x
 TARGET = open2x
 PREFIX = $(OPEN2X)

FLAGS += CC='open2x-gcc'
 FLAGS += CXX='open2x-g++'
 FLAGS += CFLAGS='-O3 -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -mcpu=arm920t -I$(OPEN2X)/include -I$(OPEN2X)/include/libxml2'
 FLAGS += LDFLAGS='-L$(OPEN2X)/lib'

TARGETS += $(PREFIX)/lib/libImlib2.a
 TARGETS += $(PREFIX)/lib/libSDL.a
 TARGETS += $(PREFIX)/lib/libSDL_gfx.a
 TARGETS += $(PREFIX)/lib/libSDL_image.a
 TARGETS += $(PREFIX)/lib/libSDL_mixer.a
#TARGETS += $(PREFIX)/lib/libSDL_svg.a
#TARGETS += $(PREFIX)/lib/libSDL_ttf.a

OT: I need to look into the security of my network, just a second ago someone was moving the cursor on my other computer and attempting to download something :eek: I think I freaked them out though when I started bashing CTRL+ALT+DEL and killing processes (like VNC for example which I had configured with a password :huh:).

Blah posted on Dec 6 2006 at 07:39 AM said:
If you ever get Open2x working try compiling the libraries for it.

Fetch the libs folder from the subversion.
Change this libs makefile so it starts out like this:

Code:
 BUILD  = $(shell uname -m)
 HOST   = open2x
 TARGET = open2x
 PREFIX = $(OPEN2X)

FLAGS += CC='open2x-gcc'
 FLAGS += CXX='open2x-g++'
 FLAGS += CFLAGS='-O3 -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -mcpu=arm920t -I$(OPEN2X)/include -I$(OPEN2X)/include/libxml2'
 FLAGS += LDFLAGS='-L$(OPEN2X)/lib'

TARGETS += $(PREFIX)/lib/libImlib2.a
 TARGETS += $(PREFIX)/lib/libSDL.a
 TARGETS += $(PREFIX)/lib/libSDL_gfx.a
 TARGETS += $(PREFIX)/lib/libSDL_image.a
 TARGETS += $(PREFIX)/lib/libSDL_mixer.a
#TARGETS += $(PREFIX)/lib/libSDL_svg.a
#TARGETS += $(PREFIX)/lib/libSDL_ttf.a

OT: I need to look into the security of my network, just a second ago someone was moving the cursor on my other computer and attempting to download something :eek: I think I freaked them out though when I started bashing CTRL+ALT+DEL and killing processes (like VNC for example which I had configured with a password :huh:).

I actually did manage to get the libs compiled, once again mainly through the efforts of oskude and the guys in #gp2xdev and people like yourself who have been incredibly helpful.

As I say, I will be writing the process up in order to put it on the wiki for other linux noobs.

Just as a general question though, is anyone still working on open2x? is revision 181 as far as its likely to go or not?

cheers,

Alan

inksmithy posted on Dec 6 2006 at 08:11 AM said:
Just as a general question though, is anyone still working on open2x? is revision 181 as far as its likely to go or not?
paeryn uploaded a new sdl today, just checking it out now....

nothing in fact, the first build ended with error "open2x-ar : command not found", but at second make (without deleting the compiled files and without changing anything) it compiled just fine :huh:

Back