Does Opening The Pandoras Case Void Warranty?

zacaj

void main()
Website
zacaj.com
Would opening the Pandora's case void its warranty? Also, will some parts of the Pandora sortof fall off when the case is opened?

zacaj said:
Would opening the Pandora's case void its warranty? Also, will some parts of the Pandora sortof fall off when the case is opened?
1) The Distributor or OpenPandora Limited likely has discretion.

2) Yes, probably the fiddly keys, controls and buttons, but not the Analogs, they are soldered to the board.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a fair question considering that modding is almost encouraged. I'd go along with nubie in saying that they will probably use their discretion on each individual claim.

zacaj said:
Each case will probably need it's own examination. If you fry the Pandora whilst modding it, then it would obviously void the warranty, but if it looks more like a manufacturing defect, then more likely to be replaced minus your mods.

Of course, not opening the case at all gives you the best change of repair/replace under warranty :)

I remember Craigix saying something along the lines of the keys falling out if you pull the case apart incorrectly. This may include the action buttons too, but everyhing else should be stuck down quite well.

finally a thread that makes sense.
I have been wondering the same thing

yeah, i'd hope that modding it, at least if you know what you're doing won't void the warranty. I've been looking at adding extra shoulder buttons... really accurate ps1 emulation, here I come!

Seventh century BC: "Will opening Pandora's box bring chaos upon the world?"

Twenty-first century AD: "Will opening Pandora's box void the warranty?"

How times have changed.

Gruso said:

How times have changed.
LOL

Gruso said:

How times have changed.
sigged

If it's a hardware defect then the replacement will be coming from TI, not OpenPandora Ltd (though the customer will return the unit to OpenPandora Ltd). Therefore I would highly doubt that they will honor warranties if the hardware itself has been modified.

Pleng said:
If it's a hardware defect then the replacement will be coming from TI, not OpenPandora Ltd (though the customer will return the unit to OpenPandora Ltd). Therefore I would highly doubt that they will honor warranties if the hardware itself has been modified.
The only TI hardware on board to my knowledge is the OMAP, all the wifi and circuit baord aren't TI, unless you know something I don't, like TI is producing them based on MWeston's PCB files (not out of the question, considering it is TI).

If it is TI, then I guess as long as there isn't an obvious problem, like a direct short caused by some debris or poor soldering, or a part physically damaged while outside the case. then I don't see why they wouldn't replace it.

This kinda makes me wonder what type of replacement parts will be available for us thumb-fingered hardware hacker types. (Although I suppose it would be best to just email ED or Craig and see if they will sell you whatever you broke, no need to advertise parts, after all we aren't planning to break it).

so opening the case won't void the warranty? what about...

STATIC ELECTRICITY

dun dun dunnnnn...

"Open Pandora". It's not just a name, its a command.

Desktop PCs seem to allow you to open them & upgrade them without loosing their warantee. I don't see why the Pandora should be different.

Kyosys said:

STATIC ELECTRICITY

dun dun dunnnnn...
What about it? Anyone with the knowledge of modifying Pandora will hopefully know how to protect themselves from it. People who don't know how to mod will hopefully want to keep there device in working form, so will not mess with it. They already know how it looks inside, so that shouldn't raise any curiousness.

Kyosys said:

STATIC ELECTRICITY

dun dun dunnnnn...
Don't open it in front of this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wimshurst_machine.

Point taken though. Usually if you have a good reason to open it you know better though.

Thankfully a lot pf people who don't know better will post on here, then their claim can be denied if they break something being stupid. So if we didn't do it they will be more likely to fix it.

If you open it right will they ever know you opened it? ;)

nubie said:
Kyosys said:

STATIC ELECTRICITY

dun dun dunnnnn...
Don't open it in front of this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wimshurst_machine.

Point taken though. Usually if you have a good reason to open it you know better though.

Thankfully a lot pf people who don't know better will post on here, then their claim can be denied if they break something being stupid. So if we didn't do it they will be more likely to fix it.

If you open it right will they ever know you opened it? ;)

most have some form of seal

magicman5421 said:
yeah, i'd hope that modding it, at least if you know what you're doing won't void the warranty. I've been looking at adding extra shoulder buttons... really accurate ps1 emulation, here I come!
Yea, I plan on waiting until some modder comes up with a really effective and stable 4 shoulder button mod. Then I might look into doing it.

Gruso said:

How times have changed.
Sigged.

-God Ginrai

DAP said:
"Open Pandora". It's not just a name, its a command.

Desktop PCs seem to allow you to open them & upgrade them without loosing their warantee. I don't see why the Pandora should be different.
Mine had a seal on it. 'Breaking this seal voids your warranty'.

Back