Does Someone Try?

To answer all possible routes this topic could take ... unless it dives into snail farming or something, which I won't entirely rule out.

#1, Yes, N64 emulators were 'copy-and-paste ported'.
#2, Yes they ran abysmally slow, about 1-2 FPS is pretty accurate and I'm kind of susprised they were THAT fast.
#3, Yes, a better port could be made with an ASM CPU core and a lot more optimization.
#4, No, it wouldn't run acceptably.
#5, No, the GP2X can't run an N64 emulator at acceptable speeds.
#6, The PSP only runs N64 games half-decently because of having a hardware 3D rendering engine and a similar CPU architecture to the N64, neither of which the GP2X has.
#7, Despite the name, food stamps are NOT edible.
#8, Cheese does not grow on trees.

Thank you, you've been a great audience, good night washington

If you still wana play N64 games badly, then go to pj64.net and download the Windows version of this emulator. Sure it's not your GP2X, but at least you can play those games on your PC at a very good speed. Project 64 is the best N64 emulator out there (For the pc of course, and to my best knowledge).

As for the GP2X, you can still play older versions of n64 games on your gp2x:

Star fox for SNES
Zelda For Gameboy Color, SNES, and NES
Super Mario Gameboy, Gameboy color, SNES, and NES
Mario Kart SNES , GBA (playable but not 100% yet.)
Doom (PrDoom , you need the original Doom WAD files , so this means you need to own the original pc version)
Super Smash Bros. (SmashGP) A super smash bro clone for the gp2x (it's not as good as super smash of course)

And if you don't like the games above, there's a lot of other good games for other emulated consoles on the gp2x. :) Metal slug etc.

Epicenter posted on Oct 28 2006 at 03:03 PM said:
#7, Despite the name, food stamps are NOT edible.

that made me laugh.

Last edited by a moderator:
icurafu posted on Oct 29 2006 at 09:04 AM said:
If PJ64 is too grunty, try corn with mario64.

btw, who compiled the n64 emulator? I tried and failed last year.
Just out of curiosity, which did you try to compile, 1964?

Yono posted on Oct 30 2006 at 11:35 AM said:

mupen64 - Honestly, I'm a great software engineer, but I suck with compilers.

I was using TinyGL and trying to hack the opensource graphics plugin to work with it.

There is a software plugin where the source was released, but I was unable to find the source.

icurafu posted on Oct 29 2006 at 09:02 PM said:
Yono posted on Oct 30 2006 at 11:35 AM said:

mupen64 - Honestly, I'm a great software engineer, but I suck with compilers.

I was using TinyGL and trying to hack the opensource graphics plugin to work with it.

There is a software plugin where the source was released, but I was unable to find the source.
I'm pretty sure that TinyGL is in the qnx port source, which was included with the distro. Lets see... http://mupen64.emulation64.com/mupen64-004-qnx-tar.gz

There is a TinyGL folder in a plugins folder. Hope that helps, sorry about your compiler problem, I'm not a coder myself so I can't help you out with that.

I'm not going to touch that again.

It's just not worth it.

Even if it doubled the framerate, tinyGL would lose so much.

I'm just interested how someone else got it to compile, and how they did it for sentalmental reasons. I wouldn't even bother downloading it.

Wasn't there some talk a while back about emulating the games instead of the actual system? Isn't that what corn did?

Anhaedra posted on Oct 30 2006 at 07:32 AM said:
Wasn't there some talk a while back about emulating the games instead of the actual system? Isn't that what corn did?

i thought about this too.
like if someone made a specific ocarina of time engine that spent all resources emulating this rom.

The rom uses the hardware, so to emulate the rom you need to emulate the hardware, and without trying out every single possible combination on every single level, you can just say "I'll only support X" unless you know the game absolutely doesn't use it.

N64 is possible, but will never be playable. Just admit people and get on with life. If you want portable N64 emulation that is playable, buy a decent Laptop.

Now, who was talking about snail farming?

plounted posted on Oct 30 2006 at 01:23 PM said:
Anhaedra posted on Oct 30 2006 at 07:32 AM said:

like if someone made a specific ocarina of time engine that spent all resources emulating this rom.

isnt that the basics of an interpreter file?

plounted posted on Oct 30 2006 at 07:23 AM said:
Then you'd just be writing an interpreter for the data files. Judging from previous experience working with Japanese games, I also doubt the game code and data are sufficiently separated to make this task trivial.

Back