Doom 3

Dozer posted on Aug 6 2004 at 03:49 PM said:
I can't really see it running on my p2 350 :D. I'll aquire it anyway and try it on my mates pc. Then mug him and take his pc home.
:eek: DEATH BY PLAYSTATION!!!

...Phone the daily mail!

btw: This game is just demented!!! Has anyone yet got to the bit where this screaming guy is pinned to the ceiling with his guts ripped open? (It's 2nd or 3rd level I think).

Damn, I wan't to play it now but it's not the same at daytime.

Last edited by a moderator:
pubjoe posted on Aug 6 2004 at 04:13 PM said:
Damn, I wan't to play it now but it's not the same at daytime.
agreed....

its just not the same experience playing with the sun bouncing off the screen.

Doom3 should only work at nightime.

declaration posted on Aug 6 2004 at 04:37 PM said:
Yeah, they should have added "night" to the minimum requirements!

Kop_007 posted on Aug 6 2004 at 06:02 PM said:
Does anyone else thinks the weapons feel weak?
Yeah, I've got to agree a little bit. I've been praying for a return of Doom/Doom2's shotguns in an id game for 10 years...

"BOOOOM! .....chinkchink ...BOOOOM! .....chinkchink ...BOOOOM! .....chinkchink"

...Apparently, the plasma gun is the meaty weapon of choice in this game though (unlike the feeble feeling version from the originals), but I haven't found it yet so I can't comment.

pubjoe posted on Aug 6 2004 at 06:51 PM said:
declaration posted on Aug 6 2004 at 04:37 PM said:
Yeah, they should have added "night" to the minimum requirements!

Kop_007 posted on Aug 6 2004 at 06:02 PM said:
Does anyone else thinks the weapons feel weak?
Yeah, I've got to agree a little bit. I've been praying for a return of Doom/Doom2's shotguns in an id game for 10 years...

"BOOOOM! .....chinkchink ...BOOOOM! .....chinkchink ...BOOOOM! .....chinkchink"

...Apparently, the plasma gun is the meaty weapon of choice in this game though (unlike the feeble feeling version from the originals), but I haven't found it yet so I can't comment.
Minimum requirement "night" - that is a classic there.

Yep, the shotgun sound was brilliant. The new shotgun is no comparison.

What are the Barons of Hell like in the new version? (Its not pretty when you're low on ammo and have a shot gun and a door to hide behind)

Also is the chaingun revamped? (hoping its more like the minigun in Timesplitters 2 for GC)

As far as I heard, the chaingun is awesome and extremely powerful. Unfortunately the same can't be said for the weak, funny-looking machine gun.

Personally, I think the chaingun sucks. It sounds wimpy and only holds 60 bullets. The weapons largely disappointed me, more fire modes or more weapons would have severely helped this game. Also the sounds are ridiculous. I fired real rifles, I know how they sound like, and in video games it should be exaggerated. The chaingun needs more bass, the shotgun needs an echo and a deeper, fuller sound. The pistol is completely boring to listen to..... meh. Don't know, I just don't really like it....

Plasma gun sucks imo though i like the high pitched charge up sound
ok.....
my word of advice to any ati owners get Catalyst 4.9 beta you will be blown away... in the driver version info now it says doom 3 + some random version numbers instead of catalyst 4.7 and well now my 9600xt plays perfectly at high quality 1024 x768 haven't tried any others but its pretty fantastic at that detail level all thanks to 4.9 beta catalysts... i also only have 368mb of ram and i've got rid of the over clock on my 2500xp + it still runs great.

The Rocket launcher also isn't 2 great it just doesn't have the same feeling of power like in orignal doom the game is still pretty good but the moment your room isn't dark + the sound isn't turned up it feels pretty mundane and not exciting at all : ( despite all my negatives about the game its certainly one of the best games on release but i'm looking forward to half life 2 more : ) well actually im' looking forward to cs source more i just cant wait till august 13th now : )

unlucky posted on Aug 6 2004 at 11:25 PM said:
Plasma gun sucks imo though i like the high pitched charge up sound
ok.....
my word of advice to any ati owners get Catalyst 4.9 beta you will be blown away... in the driver version info now it says doom 3 + some random version numbers instead of catalyst 4.7 and well now my 9600xt plays perfectly at high quality 1024 x768 haven't tried any others but its pretty fantastic at that detail level all thanks to 4.9 beta catalysts... i also only have 368mb of ram and i've got rid of the over clock on my 2500xp + it still runs great.

The Rocket launcher also isn't 2 great it just doesn't have the same feeling of power like in orignal doom the game is still pretty good but the moment your room isn't dark + the sound isn't turned up it feels pretty mundane and not exciting at all : ( despite all my negatives about the game its certainly one of the best games on release but i'm looking forward to half life 2 more : ) well actually im' looking forward to cs source more i just cant wait till august 13th now : )
Sweet, I have a 9800XT 128mb.

Where can I get these drivers? Are they stable?

Bad decision IMO. Then again you could argue not many people are going to play the demo and NOT buy it, and most people are already buying it anyway. A demo wouldn't really capture the negative aspects of the game, but I'm sure overall it's good enough to warrant no demo. Hype-wise I mean.

I agree with unlucky though, HL2 is going to be not just good graphics-wise (well, inferior NOW but they were extremely good a year ago) but also the full package - gameplay, story, a decent and massive weapon selection, good AI (not just 'run at enemy flailing limbs') and a lot of playtime (at least 25 hours, which is Doom's total, but probably more). And a decent multiplayer without mods, let alone with. Counterstrike 2 is free :) And the mod community for HL is much stronger than Quake 3 IMO so you'll see mods faster and higher quality, although I have no doubt that Doom 3's mods are going to rock when mod authors become attracted to such a neat engine.

Back