Doom - Blowing My Wad

skarmachild

Website
www.curiositylabs.co.uk
Sorry for the odd title, but it has relevance folks.

I have Doom (wow) on the GP2X, along with many WAD's (since I have the Ultimate Doom Collection), is there anyway to - when you boot up Doom for the GP2X - select what WAD you want to load?

Nope :)

But you can write a quick script that will allow you to select which one you would like to play.
i.e

cd /prboom
exec ./prboom -iwad nameofwad

cd /usr/gp2x
exec ./gp2xmenu

something like that will do.

Couldn't you use that little selector program GNGeo2x and GPFCE use to load ROMs and pick CPU clockrates, sound samplerates, etc.? Just have it run the prboom GPE with different commandline parameters for WAD files. Although I suppose you'd really have to compile it with that. Probably more hassle than you'd want when scripts are so easy to write.

Couldn't you use that little selector program GNGeo2x and GPFCE use to load ROMs and pick CPU clockrates, sound samplerates, etc.? Just have it run the prboom GPE with different commandline parameters for WAD files. Although I suppose you'd really have to compile it with that. Probably more hassle than you'd want when scripts are so easy to write.

I found a way to do it. Just make a folder for each of the WAD's with the necessary files in each, it does take up about 8MB additional space, but it works perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
btw, have somebody had half-life wad working with prboom? I can't make it load. I get only black screen and then I'm comming back to the main menu. I'm using Mk1 with fw2.0 if it helps

I found a way to do it. Just make a folder for each of the WAD's with the necessary files in each, it does take up about 8MB additional space, but it works perfectly.

Yeah but come on, that way clutters up your SD card (thats the way I did it too at first). If it works for you great but it looks so much cleaner if you uses scripts. :)

I wish a nice Doom was ported to the GP2X. The one on the GP32 was much better with a WAD selector etc. The GP2X one is a quick linux port hopefully some day there will be a better GP2Xized one.

Preferably one with selectable clock, optimized engine, full sound, music/MP3 support (too much?) or even external midi support for alternate music sources. *Nod*

Just a thought.

I wonder how portable "Doom Legacy" is.

I don't mean to be speaking out of topic, but I haven't gotten any feedback on my doom/doom2 conversion that I submitted like 2 months ago for the 2006 gbax comp.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried it, and if they did, what did they like, not like, were there any problems??

The reason why is because I was thinking of doing another release, but it seems pointless if nobody isn't even going to try out my mods.

DSR

I don't mean to be speaking out of topic, but I haven't gotten any feedback on my doom/doom2 conversion that I submitted like 2 months ago for the 2006 gbax comp.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried it, and if they did, what did they like, not like, were there any problems??

The reason why is because I was thinking of doing another release, but it seems pointless if nobody isn't even going to try out my mods.

DSR

You made a Doom mod? Ooh.

@DaveC: Yeah it would be cool to have a selector but it seems to run just fine without being gp2xized. I fear it falls under the if it aint broke don't fix it matra :)

@WinterKid: What sounds are missing? Music is supplied by an external source. MP3 support would Rock! and I don't think its to much to ask.:)

To both : I've been wanting to make a small frontend. If you guys really think its worth the time Ill start working on it.

Question has anyone tried to underclock the gp2x before running doom? it might not need the full 200mhz.

@DaveC: Yeah it would be cool to have a selector but it seems to run just fine without being gp2xized. I fear it falls under the if it aint broke don't fix it matra :)

Yeah but it is a big hassle to have to name everything to "doom2.wad" if you want to try different ones especially if not near a computer. With the other GP32 one you could set all options and select the wad you want right from the menu without having to faff with card readers and juggling filenames.

A wad selector for this game would be great. I have yet to get any third party wad files to work for this program. Not sure if I'm downloading the wrong wads or my script is wrong.

Has anyone found a simpsons wad that works with this program?

I've tried Aliens TC with no problems(which uses custom graphics, sounds and dehacked patch) and it ran great: I just copied, renamed and edited the prboom.gpe file to do what I wanted.

Here's what i used for aliens TC:

#!/bin/bash
./prboom -iwad doom.wad -file alitcwad.wad -deh alitcp19.deh
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu

You just make a .gpe file for each wad you want to try and run those instead of prboom.gpe. A launcher would be better but this isn't so bad if you've only got a few favorite TCs

I've tried Aliens TC with no problems(which uses custom graphics, sounds and dehacked patch) and it ran great: I just copied, renamed and edited the prboom.gpe file to do what I wanted.

#!/bin/bash
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu

You just make a .gpe file for each wad you want to try and run those instead of prboom.gpe. A launcher would be better but this isn't so bad if you've only got a few favorite TCs

Is it possible to use GP32 Doom mods on the GP2X.

Yeah but it is a big hassle to have to name everything to "doom2.wad" if you want to try different ones especially if not near a computer. With the other GP32 one you could set all options and select the wad you want right from the menu without having to faff with card readers and juggling filenames.

Oh... Just noticed my first post sounded like you had to have them named doom2.wad to work. Sorry, Ive edited my first post for clarity.

Is it possible to use GP32 Doom mods on the GP2X.

Why? Are they somehow different to normal Doom TCs?

The actual port is irrelevant as long as the wad doesn't use port-specific features: If the wad is Vanilla doom or prboom compatible then there should be no problems:

#!/bin/bash
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu

I tried this script to run the ultimate doom wad (doom3) no worky just black screen. What Am I doing wrong?

#!/bin/bash
./prboom -iwad doom2.wad -file doom3.wad
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu

I tried renaming the wad to doom2.wad still no work. I guess it doesn't like the wad format or something. I guess wads used for the GP32 don't work.

Does anyone know where to get non-commercial HB wads that work like the Simpsons wad etc?

Back