Doom V8 Rereleased?? Am I Misunderstanding?

bast525

Hey was downloading some files today from the archives here, and noticed GPDoom V8 listed under the Latest Files section. Apparently this is an updated version that Craig just put up two days ago, and he lists it as BLU + compatible.

Um... Doom V8 was ALREADY BLU+ compatible :(

So... what's the change? It was Doom V10 that us BLU+ users needed... so we can play Doom II, Doom 64, and other wads that weren't working with V8. Also, V8 has the sound bug where the sound effects dont work right, if at all.

So... it doesn't make sense to me for this to be V8 again... what's the deal?

EDIT: I just downloaded the file and tried it again, still the exact same thing. Sound doesn't work properly, only doom.wad (doom 1) works at all.

It's because it's listed as new everytime EvilDragon uploads stuff, he probably just uploaded v8 last night is all

Somewhere there is a V8 which works perfectly (and lets you load wads) I've no idea what happened to it, it seems the only version still around is the beta of v8 with the sound bug.

Very odd.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

*sigh*

yeah I know... I've looked all over and downloaded V8 from several different places and all had the same issue.

Craig... please fix V10 to be BLU+ compatible sometime soon? Or release the source to another devver who can do it?

I've got a v8 zip file with this as part of the readme:

"Thy Ultimate GP Doom V8 - August 11th.

Changes V8:

The classic Doom music is now supported thanks to Robert Brown!

The Doom sound menu can now be used to increase/decrease music and sound volume.

The sound bug should now be gone forever as this is a new sound engine, no clicking either :)

This version can only run in 133MHZ, but slower modes will return in later versions for
battery life :)"

If this is the needed archive file I can mail it if you PM me.

EDIT: PS it looks like I downloaded it at the end of August. I don't remember any wad loading issues with it.

nope, all the ones I've downloaded have had the exact same readme, and all had the same problem

I seem to have 4 versions on my HD, sizing at 269, 271, 273, and 598 KB... (maybe not in order)

maybe from zip files gpdoomv7, gpdoomv8, gpdoomTEST.zip, and gpdoomv9

the history from the V9 final doesn't mention more than one version of v8, but there *was* 2 versions of v9, it says.

was this any help?

edit: heh, I also seem to have a .fxe of v0.5 if anyone wants it...

I never saw any mention of two versions of V8, but this isn't the first time Craig has mentioned a 'beta' and the 'real' one. I wonder what needed to be changed that ended up making V9 and V10 incompatible with BLU+. Well if you guys have multiple versions why not try them out and see which one works?

V8 was the first to have working music, but the sound effects do not work or work very sporadically at best in the 'beta'. V8 should also be able to load Doom 2 and other wads, but the versions I've found will play doom 2 with VERY severely messed up graphics, and no other wads.

So if you've got a V8 that does these things right PLEASE share it with us BLU + users!!!

Back