Doom Wads And All That Jazz

grarap

Still Fresh
Hey all. I have all my Doom 2 stuff floating around on my desktop here, but unfortunately no Doom 1 which means that I cant give it a shot on my GP .... unless it's possible to play Doom 1 with doom2.wad? From what I can understand, the second Doom wad is identical to the first but with some added goodies for the sequel.

Doesn't doom 2 have totally different levels? - I don't believe they would have included the doom 1 levels in the doom2 wad as well.

ruckage said:
Doesn't doom 2 have totally different levels? - I don't believe they would have included the doom 1 levels in the doom2 wad as well.
Ah, I was always under the impression that the wad file just contained music and textures. Never mind then.

Last edited by a moderator:
grarap said:
ruckage said:
Ah, I was always under the impression that the wad file just contained music and textures. Never mind then.

The Ultimate Doom WAD is like the first one except with an added episode.

Last edited by a moderator:
The wad files aren't just music and textures, they include pretty much all the game's data. That includes monsters, level layouts, etc. You can find the original Doom on any number of abandonware sites, or you could purchase it, I think it's still available. I picked up a CD with Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom a couple of years ago fairly cheap. It's still available on id Software's website.

Back