Doom

sukhi-2006

When i'm starting doom it always play doom 1 how do i choose other doom wads. :angry:

Alex. said:
You turn that frown upside down, that's how :p

Get a decent text editor like Notepad++, make a copy of the .gpe that you run when you play Doom, and open the copy in Notepad++. Somewhere there you should see doom1.wad or whatever. Replace that with the wad you want to play, and save.
is there any other way of doing it, i didn't really understand that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, follow these steps:

1. Find the .gpe file you launch when you play Doom on your GP2X
2. Make a copy of that .gpe file (and keep it in the same folder as the original); raname it to NewDoom.gpe or something
3. Right-click NewDoom.gpe and open it with Notepad
4. Somewhere in there you will find some text that says 'doom.wad'. Replace that with 'doom2.wad' or whatever other wad you want to play.
5. Save the changes made to NewDoom.gpe
6. Launch NewDoom.gpe

Sorry I wasn't clearer before.

All my PrBoom.gpe file says is this:-

#!/bin/bash
./prboom > prboom.log.txt 2>&1
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu

I assume I don't need that log file line at all and can replace it with:-
./prboom -iwad newdoom.wad
Am I right?

Of course the config file can also be edited to specify a WAD name, but the GPE method has the advantage of being able to have multiple WADs in the directory and a seperate GPE for each.

Thanks, Lobo. I noticed you were very active in helping people on those other threads too.

I didn't like the ideas is there any other way of doing it these ideas are confusing for me.

It's not hard, just open the doom.gpe in a text editor. You can rename it *.txt if you want.

I don't want to run them on my pc.

When i go into text editor with my doom.gpe file do i change the name of this file.

If the contents of doom.gpe include "doom.wad" change it to "doom2.wad" or "plutonia.wad" etc.

You can save the file doom.gpe under any name, such as doom2.gpe.

If i named the doom.wad to doom2.wad then it will only play doom 2 is this correct.
Do i do anything to the doom.gpe file.
How do i get music working in doom games.

You really need to read the help files that come with Prboom (Right-click > Open With... > Notepad). Then re-read the posts from this thread. You got your answer numerous times already.

Look it's dead easy.
1. Create two new files in your prBoom directory on the SD card. The first one will be called "Doom.gpe" and the other one will be called "Doom2.gpe"

2. Open Doom.gpe and paste this inside:
CODE

#!/bin/bash
./prboom -iwad doom.wad
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu

3. Save the file.

4. Open Doom2.gpe and paste this inside:
CODE

#!/bin/bash
./prboom -iwad doom2.wad
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu

5. Save the file.

Now when you want to play Doom just choose either "Doom" or "Doom2" depending on which one you want to play.

To get music working you need to read the readme that came in the zip (README-GP2X.txt) and it will tell you what to do. I can't stress this enough: with the GP2X you MUST READ THE README files that come with the apps/games/emus! Always!

The doom.gpe files needs to created in prboom directory but i can't do that how can i make a new file in there it's impossible to do that,there are already files in that folder you can't write or create files in that folder.

open a text editor and type-in what Lobo said in the CODE boxes, And save each one with the names "Doom.gpe" and "Doom2.gpe" and you`re files will be created. :)

Now copy these files over to the prBoom directory on the SD card. :D

Job done. :rolleyes:

Trooper

I have the new gp2x f-200 just got it today.
I need some help how to install doom step by step guide.

Back