Dosbox 6.1

it's far above not-worth-the-effort and close to zero-usability with that slow emultaion, but still *possible* (like gpquake..)
i think for gfx-emultaion you have at first to think over that vga has as highest 640x480, so even if it looks crappy you have to leave some pixels out for speed (1/4 of the total..)
or you just allow mode13 and leave mode12-emulation out
also you could catch vga-memory-access and write it into a framebuffer instead i think
sound could be left out completely which would speed up the whole thing
but then there is the cpu..
well, we wont get very higher than 286's speed with emulation, so we could just emulate that instead of going for a Pentium1
and then again, to speed the whole thing up you can make special versions which emulate different interrupts for different games (i'm sure some can be left out..)

well, you'll end up with an emu at least capable of emulating some apps with a decent speed

@ the moment i have 3 projects to finish *ducks* so i'll look at this in about 2 years :D

(i bet my ideas fail at an essential point)

If you shot for basic 286 emulation you could cut a lot of stuff out of DosBox, right? And 286 emulation is all we need to play greats like Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, Bio Menace, Jill of the Jungle, Solar Winds, Crystal Caves, Paganitzu, Monster Bash, Mystic Towers, Secret Agent, and Overkill It would be a dream come true to play OMF 2097 and Jazz Jackrabbit too, but that might be a little much....

You could remove:
VESA
Herc, CGA, Tandy emulation, if necessary VGA since EGA should be fine for some of the classic Apogee games
80386, 80387
Debugger
Mouse and Joystick emulation (map GP32 buttons to key presses, onscreen keyboard for DOS navigation)
emulation of memory above 640k, or maybe 2 MB total
Sound Card emulation (Adlib, SB, GUS, CMS, Tandy, Disney) emulate PC Speaker only
emulation of parallel ports, serial ports, etc.
possibly protected mode
MSCDEX and removable media

There's a lot of stuff that isn't needed for what people want a DOS Emu for.

Back