Dosbox For Dingoo A320

slaanesh said:
Alright it's almost done. Things are now beginning to work on the Nanonote and on the way I've found improvements that will work for A320 as well.

There are two minor remaining problem sfor the Nanonote:

Keyboard mapping isn't quite right.
There's no RED in the RGB of the display. I'm only getting Greens and Blues. This is most likely a little oopsy on my behalf.

RED question: In 32bit color, the color sequence is ARGB or RGBA, Did you mistake of the sequence? To verify this, you can set the A channel(transparency)to a middle value, and set the other channel to Zero. then see if the RED appearance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I saw the issues with RGBA/ARGB order.
This has been solved with some cunning re-arrangment of DOSBox internal structures to allow quick palette lookups without re-arranging when blitting images. There was also another issue with palette lookups which has also been resolved.
I can't actually test this at the moment but will do so when I am back home.

Also the scancodes issue is solved with Pickle's suggestion. Thanks! :)

So I am pretty sure that I will get the release out this weekend. Sorry for the delay - but I think adding the Nanonote support was well worth it.
In fact I find it easier developing for it with it's little keyboard - very handy.

If you aren't getting a Pandora, I think it's a great substitute if you are wanting a micro-form factor Linux device with built in keyboard.

@Pickle:
I notice the DOSBox code tests how many BPP to use and ends up using the highest value.
As a bit of a speed-up hack, I think forcing 8-bit mode seems to work okay.
Any comments?
Also I've added screen scalers for 640x400 and 640x480 modes which I think are essential (especially for 80 column terminal modes). The results are okay - you will need good eyes but better than clipping.

What does GP2X/Wiz DOSBox do for these resolutions?

Great news Slaanesh. Can't wait to try the frist release and see how run some games.

slaanesh said:
Also the scancodes issue is solved with Pickle's suggestion. Thanks! :)
Great, the pandora version had the same issue :)

slaanesh said:
@Pickle:
I notice the DOSBox code tests how many BPP to use and ends up using the highest value.
As a bit of a speed-up hack, I think forcing 8-bit mode seems to work okay.
Any comments?
Also I've added screen scalers for 640x400 and 640x480 modes which I think are essential (especially for 80 column terminal modes). The results are okay - you will need good eyes but better than clipping.

What does GP2X/Wiz DOSBox do for these resolutions?
Really all I did a quick solution and just hacked the resolution to not to exceed 320x240 (intro and prompt are just black). Wiz must be running at 16 bpp, forcing to 8 bpp has to give some speed up (maybe not a lot though)
Since you did the work with the scalars I think it be worth adding them to the wiz build. When your ready I can do a diff on your source and merge into mine.

Alright, I'm finally played my first game on DOSBox on the Nanonote and everything is working.

Yes, I'm playing "Elite" - well actually I'm watching the Cobra MkIII spin around whilst being serenaded to the Blue Danube via PC Speaker sound... :)

There are a couple issues still - looks like the Nanonote has less usable memory than the A320.
Using the Dyna Rec I can only allocate 1MB of PC RAM before it bombs out. On the A320 I can happily allocate 4MB of PC RAM.

I'll make a few tweaks to adjust this because the DynaRec cache is currently set to 4MB - which is probably way too much.

Once that's done I'll double check that the binary still works okay on the A320 and we're all set for some public test version!

I hope there are some other Nanonote users out there (apart from Mortys who I know has one) ;-)

slaanesh said:
Alright, I'm finally played my first game on DOSBox on the Nanonote and everything is working.

Yes, I'm playing "Elite" - well actually I'm watching the Cobra MkIII spin around whilst being serenaded to the Blue Danube via PC Speaker sound... :)

There are a couple issues still - looks like the Nanonote has less usable memory than the A320.
Using the Dyna Rec I can only allocate 1MB of PC RAM before it bombs out. On the A320 I can happily allocate 4MB of PC RAM.

I'll make a few tweaks to adjust this because the DynaRec cache is currently set to 4MB - which is probably way too much.

Once that's done I'll double check that the binary still works okay on the A320 and we're all set for some public test version!

I hope there are some other Nanonote users out there (apart from Mortys who I know has one) ;-)

I have a nanonote if you need some more people to test let me know

How do you know I've got a Nanonote Slaanesh ? ;) Maybe it's because of all the pressure I put on you :D
However, good work and thanks for your efforts.

If It runs Loopynes at full speed you can say goodbye to all other NES emulators on Dingoo... :D

Yep, here it is:

DOSBOX Public Test - Alpha

This is a Public Test Alpha.

I'm about to go to bed but:

* There is debugging going to the screen.
* Some things may not work or are not finished.
* There are no readme's included (yet). You will have to know how to use DOSBox. See the included dosbox.conf as an example.
* Most of my later testing was done with the Nanonote. A320 users, it's up to you to map and bind your own keys using a mapper.txt file (standard DOSbox feature).

More info soon.

Great fun. Sensible default key mappings too :)

Thanks Slaanesh!

Hi Slaanesh
How do you make the mouse to work ?
I've try Syndicate but even in the menu, it's pretty slow and the game crash when trying to launch a game...
Do you know if games using Dos4G are slower in dosbox NN than other one ?
However, great work for this first Test version

PS : In fact the loadings are pretty slow on my NN... Is it normal or my µsd is corrupted ? (Try at 336Mhz)

Wow, it works! :)

I'm running Might & Magic I full speed here — in fact, it's way too fast, I have to tinker with the DOSBOX config file to slow it down. I have no sound, but the emulation looks solid! Thanks a lot!

Orakio Rob said:

I'm running Might & Magic I full speed here — in fact, it's way too fast, I have to tinker with the DOSBOX config file to slow it down. I have no sound, but the emulation looks solid! Thanks a lot!

Do you use it on Nanonote or on Dingoo ?
Cause on my NN, every game I tried are pretty slow (i'm gonna try Might & Magic I to compare with you).

Mortys said:
Orakio Rob said:

Do you use it on Nanonote or on Dingoo ?
Cause on my NN, every game I tried are pretty slow (i'm gonna try Might & Magic I to compare with you).

Dingoo.

Somebdy succeed to apply VGAonly setting ?
And for me sound is pretty laggy (when Nosound=false)
I'm on NN

Back