GP32 Dosbox?

I thought bhole had already been ported to the Dreamcast... bhole being another dos emulator.

Fellow as in the one with 512kb of x86 assembler in the source?!?

You're a braver man than most, methinks!

They are (The fellow team AFAIK) converting (and have been for at least the last 6-12 months) chunks fellow from assembler to c , Which should make things easier, Says he who can`t code. :p

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
Fellow as in the one with 512kb of x86 assembler in the source?!?

You're a braver man than most, methinks!

The latest release that I'm porting only has around 260KB of x86 assembler. Shouldn't take that long to manually convert to arm asm ;)

I appologise Squidge, I thought you might be working on the C port of fellow to the GP2x, My bad, I wasn`t in anyway be-littling the project and hope it never came accross as such. I am currently going through Evildragons Fenix tutorals, For which i hope to code something on the GP2x, And that is making my head spin a little, So i appreciate a little of what you may have to go through. All the best with you fellow project.

Trooper

Hey, If you know of a C port of Fellow, I'm all ears :) But the versions I've seen still have a few hundred KB of assembler.

Maybe I should write an x86 -> arm 'cross' assembler ;)

Hey, If you know of a C port of Fellow, I'm all ears :) But the versions I've seen still have a few hundred KB of assembler.

Maybe I should write an x86 -> arm 'cross' assembler ;)

Now THAT would be amazing...

I presume, of course, that you'd have to make sure each opcode took the same ammount of time to go through, else the program's internal timers would go screwey (i.e. if there were one opcode that could be mapped onto another directly, and another which took 6 steps, you'd presumably have to insert 5 waits after the mapping to keep things balanced). Or not... honestly don't know.

Hang on a tick, wouldn't that open the door for reverse engineering old games a LOT easier? As in decompiling something to x86 ASM (as you might expect to get from, say, the Jazz Jackrabbit executable), running it through a converter, and (after some tweaks to display/sound/input routines - assuming you can find them; I imagine that'd be the hardest bit) simply re-compiling?

Somehow I doubt it because it'd have been done sometime during the GP32 lifespan, but I can't quite see why not. Apart from the legal issues of course (doubt Epic would be desperately pleased if the .exe from Jazz were used to generate a game for a new console - especially if they wouldn't be making anything from it).

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it, didn't you try to do something like that some while ago?

Tobriand: What your talking about is binary to binary translation. Yes, it would work, but the main problem with using it on executable code is that it is extremely difficult to work out what is code and what is data. Working on the source is very much easier as there's a clear distinction.

aapje89: There's about a 1% chance of it happening. Rewriting it instead has more chance.

An example of a b2b project would be:

uqbtTranslators.gif

The latest release that I'm porting only has around 260KB of x86 assembler. Shouldn't take that long to manually convert to arm asm ;)

Despite your smiley I salute anyone that can make light of such huge task. Good luck Squidge the handheld emulation world will revere you if you can pull this one off. :)

virtualpc is a vm, not a emu

That is not true, at least for the mac (which the poster referred to a G3). It is a completely emulated pc.
Virtual PC is a VM. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Machine
It may or may not be a vm on a pc, but on a MAC it is a completely emulated machine. The original poster stated G3 which is a PPC MAC processor which is not compible in any way, shape or form with an intel processor. VPC was purchased by Microsoft and is now a windows product, so it may be a vm now, but not on a mac. It would be like trying to run snes software on a GP32 natively.

Not to burst a bubble, but a VM == EMU pretty much; you can hum and haw over specifics, but both are general terms referring to pretty much the same thing. ie: A Vic-20 emu is a 6502 virtual machine hosting simualtion of machine specs like a vic-20. A Java VM is a java-bytecode virtual machine hosting simulation of a machine with garbage colleciton, GUI, etc.

jeff

Couldn't we bribe M$ with a couple of billion dollars to give us the source to Virtual PC? ;)

Back