Double Sided Lcd Mod?

Megamixman

I know there are LCDs, especially in the mobile phone market where the LCD is double sided. The Images are not independent, but it's a nifty idea.
Anyone know if such a mod is possible?
I'm thinking switch the Touch Screen to the outside, so you could close Pandora, and have the screen on the outside be Touch Sensitive. When you want full controls you could open it up. I think the main problem to this idea is the backlight. If the backlight comes in from the sides, then it should be doable, although I don’t know how well it would work since the LCD is designed to work without the reflector (might just screw up outdoor viewing).

Megamixman said:
I know there are LCDs, especially in the mobile phone market where the LCD is double sided. The Images are not independent, but it's a nifty idea.
I'm thinking switch the Touch Screen to the outside, so you could close Pandora, and have the screen on the outside be Touch Sensitive. When you want full controls you could open it up. I think the main problem to this idea is the backlight. If the backlight comes in from the sides, then it should be doable, although I don’t know how well it would work since the LCD is designed to work without the reflector (might just screw up outdoor viewing).
Patented. Much like the swivel screen. Nice idea, really- and quite doable, I suspect, if it weren't for that.

LED backlighting has gotten to the point where something like that is very doable indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Megamixman said:
No, nothing about that plan is possible. Even if you were able to hack apart the LCD and remove the actual display without destroying it or the touchscreen film, what you had left would not be viewable unless you held it up to a bright light.

Svartalf said:
Patented. Much like the swivel screen. Nice idea, really- and quite doable, I suspect, if it weren't for that.

LED backlighting has gotten to the point where something like that is very doable indeed.
The technology exists, but see-through LCDs are designed differently than regular transmissive panels. I think he's asking if he can make a dual sided display out of the included panel. That's just not possible.

You could source an identical LCD and mount it on the outside (bear with me, I know I'm on a limb here). There wouldn't be room to recess it like the inner display. Any case mods would also reduce the structural integrity substantially (you'd be working with the section of case that has the most force applied to it through opening/closing).

It would also need some sort of (probably complicated) switching function to swap LCDs when the lid was closed.

A big job, possible in theory for a very skilled person, but fraught with danger. Have to say though, on paper it sounds pretty nifty. :)

Chip said:
No, nothing about that plan is possible. Even if you were able to hack apart the LCD and remove the actual display without destroying it or the touchscreen film, what you had left would not be viewable unless you held it up to a bright light.
Sigh, i was afraid my suspicious would be confirmed. That being said, taking apart the LCD isn't all the difficult. It is actually quite doable. Ask anyone that has made an LCD projector. I've seen some made from GBA LCDs back when LCDs were expensive and people still used CRTs.

I can't even seem to find a source of dual-sided LCDs online. Happen to know any sources? I'm basically up to the challenge of changing the panel. Maybe i should go ahead and swap the screen and controller for a capacitative setup as well :p.

Megamixman said:
....The Images are not independent...
Somebody plz correct me if i'm wrong, but the pandora has dual video output(or whatever it's called)

Did you ever think in the possibility of making an external lcd screen that connects on the tv out?

Zoppe said:
Megamixman said:
....The Images are not independent...
Somebody plz correct me if i'm wrong, but the pandora has dual video output(or whatever it's called)

Did you ever think in the possibility of making an external lcd screen that connects on the tv out?

It's easily possible.

In fact, it would be very DS-like, since each screen could display different things. Time for someone to do some crazy photoshops. :p

Dual LCD's are only supported when they are "smart" displays (ie. have their own RAM and an 8-16bit interface). "Dumb" panels like the ones in most electronics (Pandora, PSP, GP2X, N8x0, etc, etc.....) take up the entire video port.

Also, I have taken apart one of the panels for Pandora just to see how it was made and modifying it for viewing on both sides isn't likely due to the polarizing and diffuser sheets inside and the white LEDs on a flex board glued to the bottom of the glass substrate. :)

is there enough room in the top part of the case to add an identical second lcd on the outside, and have a switch to change the output from the inner lcd to the outer one when the lid is closed?
im not saying this should be done for the actual pandora, but more asking how possible it would be for a hack...

MWeston said:
Also, I have taken apart one of the panels for Pandora just to see how it was made and modifying it for viewing on both sides isn't likely due to the polarizing and diffuser sheets inside and the white LEDs on a flex board glued to the bottom of the glass substrate. :)
wow...that's a mouthful

MWeston said:
Dual LCD's are only supported when they are "smart" displays (ie. have their own RAM and an 8-16bit interface). "Dumb" panels like the ones in most electronics (Pandora, PSP, GP2X, N8x0, etc, etc.....) take up the entire video port.

The Polarizers actually aren't a problem. The order of polarization makes no differance, when you're talking about standard lighting or sunlight. It only matters when you're talking about special polarized light sources or lasers.
The fact that the backlighting comes from a reflected surface off the back is the problem though. Not all LCDs backlight in this faction. A good fraction backlight through the side of the LCD, which would make the mod feasible.

Since the modding the LCD isn't an option, anyone know of a source for Dual sided LCDs. Also, Mweston, do you know if there are any data sheets for the LCD? Manufacturer Part #? I honestly think this would be a good mod, that would add a lot of functionality.

Megamixman said:
MWeston said:

The Polarizers actually aren't a problem. The order of polarization makes no differance, when you're talking about standard lighting or sunlight. It only matters when you're talking about special polarized light sources or lasers.
The fact that the backlighting comes from a reflected surface off the back is the problem though. Not all LCDs backlight in this faction. A good fraction backlight through the side of the LCD, which would make the mod feasible.

Since the modding the LCD isn't an option, anyone know of a source for Dual sided LCDs. Also, Mweston, do you know if there are any data sheets for the LCD? Manufacturer Part #? I honestly think this would be a good mod, that would add a lot of functionality.

Um, the polarization and how the light interacts with it is inherently necessary to the LCD for it to function. Namely light must enter one polarizer, go through the liquid matrix, and then through the front polarizer.

If you send the light to the middle of the LCD how will the matrix be able to rotate the polarization? You would get a blank image (or if you wore polarized glasses you may see something.)

(I have played a lot with polarization http://picasaweb.google.com/nubie07/3DMonitor , and disassembled my fair share of LCD monitors http://picasaweb.google.com/nubie07/Portab...aAudiovoxD1500A )

I don't really get the point, why not just put in a swivel so that it could convert to tablet? (you wind up with only 2 buttons and a touchscreen either way, if there was a dpad this might make sense). Or source a special "double side" LCD?

I honestly wish there was a section to this forum called pandora mod theories(Just like general talk and development). I honestly think a swivel screen idea would be more effecient and would save power and strength, but again (Chip said it best) we need tools, man power, time, money and possibly lawyers to make parts like these public. If in the future anyone makes modds, post them with tutorials ;)

-Spadoof

i wonder if you could just connect two tft's to the same port and have a on/on switch which cuts the power line of one?

Back