Downfall

Alex.

Retired

Updated January 9, 2006, click here for change log

http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,27,2011

downfall-s1.png
downfall-s2.png

During the past little while I took a break from Slick and made this little falldown game. It can be downloaded from the GP2X.de File Archive. Features include colourful graphics, progressive difficulty, a hiscore table, and great music composed by Tympanic Productions.[cut]

Let me know what you guys think :)

- Alex[/cut]

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks wonderful. I'll try it when I get my gp2x this coming week ;)

Ooo I got all excited when I thought this would be a version of the MB Games classic Downfall! That used to be a family favourite...

®

thanks alex, very fun ... clean and simple, arcade action, good to pick up for a quick break :)

my only request: map the ball back and forth keys to the joystick and Ltrigger/Rtrigger as well as the A/B buttons. then people can control the ball however it is most comfortable for them. my thumbs already cramping.

X for pause can be annoying, i hit it accidentally. but i realize you want it close to the a & b so you can be back at the keys as soon as you unpause.

sound effects would add a lot of polish to the game, different sounds for when the ball was falling, when it hits a wall, and when you're rolling along a wall.

It would be great if you made your own little retro mini-games pack. You have good graphics style and I always felt like your games were solidly programmed. I'd be interested in contributing graphically, but I know you probably don't even need the help in that fashion :).

euro48k: I agree that a vertical screen orientation would work very well for this type of game, but I don't think that the GP2X's joystick is right for it. If it was a D-pad, then it would have worked very well, but as it is now fast left and right input are close to impossible, at least for me.

starpause: I'll work joystick and trigger controls in the next update, that's a great suggestion. I chose X for pause so that it's close to the action buttons; moving your thumb all the way to Start in the later stages of the game can be costly. Mapping ball controls to the joystick should fix the problem of accidentally hitting it during play. :)

saehn: Thanks for the kind words! My next game will be a lengthier one however, so I'll set aside mini-games for the next while.

what about the one in the mini game project?

thanks alex. your work never fails to impress (see my sig :p )
Indeed, but those two are ports from the GP32 ;) Never did I claim this to be an original game, just something I felt like coding because I enjoy playing falldown very much. I'm playing a Flash version of it in Firefox as we speak :)

Thanks for the comments and support everyone, this is such an awesome community :)

- Alex

very slick alex. i like that the colors change...gives you something to work toward :) also they don't change quickly enough that it's too easy of a goal.

i also think trigger buttons would be the best, but i like that you chose A and B too.

starpause: I'll work joystick and trigger controls in the next update, that's a great suggestion. I chose X for pause so that it's close to the action buttons; moving your thumb all the way to Start in the later stages of the game can be costly. Mapping ball controls to the joystick should fix the problem of accidentally hitting it during play. :)

yeah, i think Ltrigger and Rtrigger buttons will be the best for making the ball fall ... they are more responsive than the large-through joystick and your thumb will still be able to sit at X for pause. glad you're interested in player feedback, looking forward to future versions :)

Here's version 1.1 Final, meaning that I'll move on to other projects :lol:

Using L and R to move the ball really breaths new life into this, it just feels so intuitive even I was surprised. I even beat my old hiscore on my first try :D

http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,27,2011

And the changelog to go with it:

- ball moves with either of L & R, A & B, or LEFT & RIGHT, depending on your preference
- the hiscore input does not alter the first letter of your name if you happen to have held B pressed during the last moments of gameplay
- changed the blank space ' ' to an underscore '_' in the hiscore name input to make it easier to spot where the cursor is at all times
- added support for lowercase letters, all that caps was giving me a headache
- score is displayed on pause screen
- fixed the bug that kept some timers going while on the pause screen, causing the game's difficulty to advance while your score remained the same...
- IMPORTANT: please delete your old hiscore file (Downfall-scores.dat) from your SD, it may cause problems with the new version of the game

Enjoy and thanks for your feedback :)

- Alex

Back