Downgrading For Compatibility?

mentalmummy

Still Fresh
Got my GP2X from gp2x.co.uk, love it but noticed that it has firmware 3.0 and CraigAmp and also a couple of emulators do not work on it, sometimes giving just a black screen and sometimes starting but not allowing any key presses.

Would it invalidate my guarantee to downgrade to firmware 2?

I`d like to be able to use some of those nice skins but if something went wrong and I brick it don`t want to lose my £129!

Thanks.

Dave

I advice you to make sure first that the reason those apps are not working is broken compatibility, which is something I doubt.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to upgrade their fw2.0 anyway. At best, it includes a new look and collection of tweaks. At worse, your shit stops working. Hmmm...

Craigamp isn't working on 3.0? What on earth could they have done to cause that... i'll look into it.

It ran twice but would not accept any input from pressing any buttons, the other times I tried it did not load and left me with a black screen until I switched the GP2X off then back on with on / off button at the side.

I have read the program is very good so am looking forward to using it, I know with firmware 3.0 the nand memory is full with games and sample videos but would that have any effect as the program is being run from a 2 GB SD card and not the built in storage capacity of the system.

I The only thing I can think of I might have done that could have any effect is that I had used Skin2x to apply some skins not realising that I had to use skins specific to firmware revision 3.0. I don`t imagine that would affect any programs though as the built in programs and PicoDrive, DrMD, PowerManga, MameGP2X, FishyNES, BareFist Fighter and GP2Xhandy work fine.

However if that has had an effect I cannot do anything about that as I cannot find the original skins now, when I went to 3.0`s skin option and chose default skin it does not return the original skin but I think that has something to do with the fact I used Skin2x as being new I did not know of the inbuilt skin utility.

Thanks.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Back