Download Pyra Debian OS (WIP)

Now that Firefox requires PulseAudio, I can see why that would be needed, not just for WebRTC voice calls, but IM applications like Skype, Discord, etc...

I dislike firefox (because of complexity of the code base, some stupid decisions as well as IMO unsuitable strategic direction). Fortunately currently it is easy enough on debian to avoid the distribution provided pulseausio or firefox package and either build your own version or use alternatives (although there are cases where the packaging choices made by debian maintainers make it (IMO) unneccessarily difficult).

Please provide instructions on how to install pyra Debian Stretch on Pandora.
4th post in this thread, aTc gives some directions. While it does work it's not really optimized to work on the Pandora. Also never tested the current Stretch release on the Pandora, but it should work.

For me the touchscreen didn't work at all though, nor nubs. So it's a bit hard to use.
Nubs should work, but you need to manually run a command to enable them in the right mode. Also the keymap is likely wrong too, think I had to migrate the xmodmap from the Pandora.

@Silent-Hunter

echo mouse > /proc/pandora/nub0/mode
echo mbuttons > /proc/pandora/nub1/mode

Should work

I'll give it a try tonight.

I was able to upgrade Pandebian all the way to Stretch though, and it works well with Zaxxon

When I executed "modprobe ads7846" to activate touchscreen, I got this error:

HsV9EPI.jpg

What does it mean and how to get touchscreen to work?

So, how did you get it working?

on my computer i used these commands to copy the files on the ext2-formatted SD:
sudo tar -xf pyra-debian-stretch-mate-rootfs.tgz -C /media/andi/df8514a1-a483-44f2-8225-969fb36b80a6/
sudo tar -xf pyra-rootfs-pnd.tgz -C /media/andi/df8514a1-a483-44f2-8225-969fb36b80a6/
sync

But after initial boot to setup username/password/timezone/... i just get this on the next boot:

OcKYwSIzn8Rjg24q8oTHZgm-k0PIjglZTohAZwtY9JY

Ok, i have installed new rootfs and new kernel but i got some problems.

TI OMAP5432 EVM, boot from sdcard with boot menue

I have a ssd hardisk with two partitions
/dev/sda1 contains older jessie pyra root fs
/dev/sda2 contains stretch root fs (from 2017-10-08)

Two Kernels available:
a) 4.6.0-letux-pyra+
b) 4.10.17-letux-zmatt-pyra

Booting with a) into jessie pyra root (sda1) works and network, hdmi and usb is fine
Boot menu:
menu label Debian GNU/Linux on Harddisk 800x480, kernel 4.6.0-letux-pyra+, SDA1
linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.6.0-letux-pyra+
append root=/dev/sda1 console=ttyO2,115200n8 rw rootwait earlyprintk fixrtc omapdrm.num_crtc=2 consoleblank=0 vram=12M omapfb.vram=0:8M,1:4M omapdss.def_disp=hdmi
fdtdir /usr/lib/linux-image-4.6.0-letux-pyra+
initrd /boot/initrd.img-4.6.0-letux-pyra+

Booting with b) works (sda1 or sda2), but no network, no hdmi output, no usb devices found
Boot menu:
menu label Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 4.10.17-letux-zmatt-pyra, SDA1
linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.10.17-letux-zmatt-pyra
append root=/dev/sda1 console=ttyO2,115200n8 rw rootwait earlyprintk fixrtc omapdrm.num_crtc=2 consoleblank=0 vram=12M omapfb.vram=0:8M,1:4M omapdss.def_disp=hdmi
fdtdir /usr/lib/linux-image-4.10.17-letux-zmatt-pyra
initrd /boot/initrd.img-4.10.17-letux-zmatt-pyra

Both file system contains
/usr/lib/linux-image-4.6.0-letux-pyra+
/usr/lib/linux-image-4.10.17-letux-zmatt-pyra

What have i to check?

Thomas

There is 'apulse' wrapper for alsa which gives a PA sink for programs that need it.

Also palemoon doesn't need PA.

Now that Firefox requires PulseAudio
ALSA miraculously started working again with FF. It's probably still deactivated at compile time by default, though - Arch explicitly enables ALSA support for their FF packages so it 'just works' for me. I just hope that the audio framework was not part of the big overhaul that comes with version 57... (Edit: Nope, ALSA is still working with FF 57 - still one hell of an awful update, though)

There is 'apulse' wrapper for alsa which gives a PA sink for programs that need it.
apulse is very specific and works only with a certain collection of applications, it was not developed to be an universal translation layer. When the time came that Mozilla kicked out the ALSA support entirely its Firefox compatibility was already broken again.

Last edited:
Back