Dpad Not Working Correctly

marioweezer

Still Fresh
First off, I hate posting things like this and the last thing I want is for it to be considered negative! I love my Pandora but I'm just looking for advice on whether or not I should send it back for repair.

I've just received my second unit (the left nub failed after two weeks on the first one). The shoulder buttons were initially quite stiff but seem to have loosened up after a few hours play.

However, the main cause for concern is the dpad. While it was perfect on my original unit, this one seems to be overly sensitive when you push it to the left. All you need to do is apply the tiniest bit of pressure and it will register a click (or several!). With any other direction I have to press it firmly, which is perfect. The problem I have with the left dpad click is that it makes some games uncontrollable. In particular, the Game and Watch series really suffer as they require precise timing. As my dpad is so sensitive it's very, very easy for it to register 2-3 left clicks at once.

Now, I've searched around the forums but I can't find anyone else with this issue. Is it something that will likely sort itself out over the next few days or does it definitely need to be sent back for repair?

Thanks for your help if you can! :)

Check his : http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55923-unresponsive-controls/page__view__findpost__p__905068

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link. I´ve done the input tests and I know where the problem is now. If I press diagonally-right (slightly more towards the down key) it claims I`m pressing L, D & R on the DPad! How is this possible?! Is it a case of a broken keymat or something else?

It`s really noticeable when playing Street Fighter 2 on the SNES as it´s impossible to do Ken´s spinning kick. Had no problem on my previous Pandora so it`s not my terrible gaming skills!

marioweezer said:
Thanks for the link. I´ve done the input tests and I know where the problem is now. If I press diagonally-right (slightly more towards the down key) it claims I`m pressing L, D & R on the DPad! How is this possible?! Is it a case of a broken keymat or something else?

It`s really noticeable when playing Street Fighter 2 on the SNES as it´s impossible to do Ken´s spinning kick. Had no problem on my previous Pandora so it`s not my terrible gaming skills!

Can you gently pull up each side of the dpad and make sure the nub is in the cup? It might just need adjusting (this is easy to do, does not require you to take the unit apart).

Thanks for the reply Craig - much appreciated :) I've pulled the DPad in all directions and it feels like it's definitely in there correctly. Tried moving it around a bit more vigorously but the input tests show the same thing - L, D & R are all reacting at once when you press diagonally-right. Any ideas?

marioweezer said:
Thanks for the reply Craig - much appreciated :) I've pulled the DPad in all directions and it feels like it's definitely in there correctly. Tried moving it around a bit more vigorously but the input tests show the same thing - L, D & R are all reacting at once when you press diagonally-right. Any ideas?

You need to pull it up and actually hold your pandora at eye level and look under the dpad and make sure that they are all 'in' it sounds like one of them isn't, probably left.

They're all definitely in as I've held it up to a light while doing it. I wonder if there's something underneath this causing the problem (possibly a similar green goop as experienced in the link sebt3 posted?)

Well, the boards are from the same batch, but maybe a few produced in line had that green poo on there.

Thanks for the help everyone :) I think I'll have to send it back as I just can't play certain games. As I mentioned, the main one is Street Fighter II on the SNES. It's almost impossible to do Ken's spinning kick or uppercut as the dpad seems to register a left click somewhere in between - therefore stopping the move.

Here's a picture of the input test if it's useful to anyone:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53032221@N02/4893736580

Back