DPAD no worky!

slownsteady

Still Fresh
I replied in the past topic but I fear since the topic is now "Solved" no one will check the topic.

In any case this is my problem, I can not press left on the DPAD. Well I can press it but only with a lot of force. It is almost impossible to do any Up-left Down-left combination and forget about trying to just tap because it wont work at all. Could this be software/hardware? I tried to "break it in" but to no avail. I really hope this doesn't mean I have to send in my unit for RMA.

Try moving the D-Pad around a lot, especially in circles. Might be an extra bit of glue.

status update:

went ape shit on the dpad. still not working :angry:

the dpad seems to need a extra push of force in order to respond. its like this, you can press the dpad left till it stops (because that's as far as it goes!) the only way for myself to get it to work is to apply that extra bit of force to get it to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm quite certain this is something that requires a return. :(

To think that one extra minute spent checking that all the buttons worked before shipment would have saved me a couple weeks of headaches. :D

At least get the opinion of someone with more knowledge than I (say, Craig or EvilDragon).

You are right I'll wait til Monday to see if this can be resolved before I start emailing for RMA.

MY D-pad feels fine physically (not being stuck, moves around fine), but when actually using it in, say, Cave Story or a NES platforming, it does feel a bit sluggish to respond.

Is there a D-pad sensitivity? Tried searching on Pandora wiki, didn't see anything.

Might be the contacts are a bit dirty or the graphite on the keymats isn't perfect for the half-working button.

If you're not too scared to carefully open it (DON'T DO IT IF YOU'RE NOT EXPERIENCED WITH ELECTRONICS! If you break something here, it's out of warranty!), then you can check the keymat and / or the board.

The same thing happened to me when I received mine. I took it apart to look at the keymat (and almost lost the "X" button for good!) and found that the d-pad is a plastic housing on top of a plus-sign shaped rubber gasket with a hard plastic ball in the center. At the end of each arm of the plus sign, inside the gasket is a small rubber plug. These plugs contact the circuit board, and register when keys are pressed. That is, whenever you press a direction, the rubber gasket collapses slightly (giving you some squishy feedback) and the pad contacts the board.

I discovered that the "Left" direction on my d-pad was about a millimeter shorter than the other directions, which would require more force to contact the board.

I think the d-pad is integrated into the keymat, so you really can't seperate them. I emailed openpandora to requrest a new keymat and its apparently in the mail as I type.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I guess it isn't a rubber pad, but a graphite one? I don't really know.

Might be the contacts are a bit dirty or the graphite on the keymats isn't perfect for the half-working button.

If you're not too scared to carefully open it (DON'T DO IT IF YOU'RE NOT EXPERIENCED WITH ELECTRONICS! If you break something here, it's out of warranty!), then you can check the keymat and / or the board.

My apologies, are you asking me or slownsteady?

My experiance with small electronics is nil. My button physically feels fine, it just seems perhaps sluggish which is why i was curious if there was a sensitivity calibraton that could be done. Or perhaps its fine but i have to constant (other pandora) to compare it to to make that call.

Just got my Pandora, finally, and I'm very disappointed to say that my unit has the same problem with the left direction on my DPAD.

I guess I'm going to email for a new key mat, but I can't believe I'm going to have to go through this after waiting so long for my pandy :(

Back