Dreamcast Appreciation Thread

Paradox

oh em gee
Website
Visit site
yay, i love the dreamcast, and i'm still buying games for it to build my collection.
its the last console i ever bought, and probably ever will buy. (ok, the gp2x is a handheld)

the next-gen systems like PS2, Gamecube, and XBOX (yes, i still see those 3 as next gen..as ive never really been interested in them, to me, it seems like they only just came out..and now theres xbox 360, ps3, etc O_O)

not sure why im not attracted to the newer consoles...maybe its just something about SEGA. if i was a billionaire i'd buy the rights to dreamcast and make a dreamcast 2!
it would run linux, and be commercial based but also give loads of homebrew support :) can't lose with commercial and homebrew :))

nice to see theres still some small communities who homebrew for it etc.

anyone ever play Planet Ring? or PSO? (duh, who didn't? :blink: )

let the random dreamcastery begin :lol:

I am a big Dreamcast fan too, and I see it as the defining benchmark in consoles. Before the DC, there were very obvious advances in consoles with each new machine that was released but since the DC the improvements have almost plateaued. You need a HD TV to notice any significant improvements brought by the XBox 360.

The better quality DC games still do not look dated and the emulation and homebrew side of the DC is also excellent and does not require chipping.

My only criticisms of the DC is that it is noisy, the rumble packs were a poor feature, and the memory cards are rubbish (they do not store much, the battery runs out on them very quickly, and the LCD feature is practically useless).

the noise from my DC never bothered me once the game got going.

never used a rumble pack, but i thought the VMU's where awesome, albeit, the batteries did run out very quickly (did that cause you to lose all your saves? i forgot)
i enjoyed the little minigames on the VMU's, ok, so it wasnt the most practical thing, but nothing on the dreamcast was, it was just so new and everything was different, the closest thing to dreamcast looks like it will be the nintendo revolution with its bizzare new kind of control pad, nobody else had the guts to do anything different.

I love the DC! I couldn't afford one when it was big, but about a year ago got a used one for 25 bucks. Best 25 dollars I have ever spent!!! :D

I have a monitor beside my desktop computer. It has a Dreamcast and a Turbo Grafx 16 hooked up to it. I keep Power Stone in the Dreamcast almost all the time. It is one of the top fighters, I believe, for the system. I have a PS2 and a Game Cube, but I am a Sega & TG 16 fan deep down in my roots when it comes to systems. I just wished that Sega had given the system a longer life span. I think the majority of the games for it are of high quality. and fun. :D

Indeed the DC was and still is probably one of Sega's greatest consoles. Despite the fact that I picked the PS2 over it I still gave it respect when my brother bought one... hell I played it more than HE did. The fact that vertical and horizontal Shooters continued to be made for it up until this year shows how much love it got from those that did own it. When Sega decided to charge for PSO that was one of the saddest days for me as I had a lot of fun playing that with friends even over 56k.

Dreamcast is my absolute favorite console ever. Sadly, I didn't pick it up until it had already failed (not that my buying it would have changed much). Sega really did put everything into making that console great. If there was a genre poorly represented, they filled it with something better than anything the competition had. Sega really cared about their fans back then (stupid Sammy...).

Shenmue I and II are, in my opinion, the two greatest games ever made (and sadly probably the best that ever will be made).

In the UK we didnt have to pay for PSO because we had a late release :)

the Europe PSO servers are still going!

I am not quite sure myself why the dreamcast failed, i have read a lot of sites which claim it to be down to poor marketing, and bad advertising (IE: it was never advertised, im pretty sure i never seen an advert on TV for it once, ever)

i saw plenty of adverts.

infact the adverts landed them on the UK consumer rights show Watchdog. The adverts made claims about the online play available to owners that were grossly exagerated, the adverts were then soon pulled off the air.

if i remember correctly it involved a load of kids trying to hit bell in the sea with stones, then some cool kid covertly sniped the bell with his slingshot, brining immense praise and love unto the small girl who it looked like had hit the bell.

the cool kid pocketed his slingshot and walked into the sunset a happy man

Paradox posted on Feb 11 2006 at 09:45 PM said:
if i was a billionaire i'd buy the rights to dreamcast and make a dreamcast 2!
it would run linux, and be commercial based but also give loads of homebrew support :)
We have that already, its called a PC.

However, i too am a big SEGA and Dreamcast fan and still buy games for it.
My two Dreamcasts are somewhat knackered, i have to readjust the drive every other month, but they ´re still great :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Still play my Dreamcast's now (have 5 of them, too lazy to unplug them from each room ;) ). I would heartily recomend people to still get one (only about £25 each), as there is still a great community based around it :D .

Tony

Dreamcast was the only system I ever waited in line for--9/9/99. 0400 in the morning, it was me, my best friend and the two girls that neither of were sure exactly which one we were 'with'. It took me 3 weeks of returns to get a copy of Airforce Delta that worked--but it was a great game.
I think I played Soul Calibur for *Months*.

For a while I was mass producing fairly professional looking EMU CDs and selling them in bars for $40--I made a good couple thousand bucks... Here come the 'piracy is bad' flames.

Ahhh, memories...

Other memories of Sega Dreamcast:
Those crazy asian-style rocketskate ads for Jet Grind Radio
San Francisco Rush 2049, arcade racing done right
Grandia II--a top-three RPG of all time
Crazy Taxi--"what did that song just say?"
Ikaruga--the 'they're still making these?' game

I have 3 DC's these days (I find them for $6) and just about every game I can think of--in either real or 'backup' form. Usually both. Of all the systems I own, I have the most fond memories of my Dreamcast. It was one heck of a technological leap above what came before--these days it's not so clear.

PSyMastR posted on Feb 12 2006 at 12:25 AM said:
Dreamcast > PS3 & Xbox 360
The ps3 wasnt even released yet. Let's not make claims if you cant support them.

Now you could have said:

Dreamcast > xbox 360

and you would have been right there. It IS a fact after all :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The signature/member title says it all. Dreamcast truly is one of the best systems. Shame it kinda comercially flopped.

I just completed area 5 of Rez today, I'm so proud. I'm still mega lame at Jet Set Radio though, stupid helicopters with their stupid rockets...

Best Games:
Ikaruga - "damn, I died. again. I was sooo black when that bullet hit me."
Jet Set Radio - "feck, those crafty Poision Jam hoodlums seem to be getting away."
Rez - "Woah, oh so pretty, tee hee hee"
PSO - "feck, I've been hacked again."
Shenmue - "wow, that voice acting really is lame. but it's still oh so sweet..."

:EDIT: Planet Ring, oh how I had fun playing that. Didn't it free with a magazine or something?

Back