Dreamcast Emulator For Pandora?

Clad said:
Zarneth said:
Clad said:
What could be possible though would be that the day the Pandora huge sales drive Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony out of the hardware market, Sega might consider porting it's dreamcast title on the Pandora.
Unfortunately world war III is more likely. (Probably started by Microsoft and co.) :p
My friend, you really lake Fatih.

Err, I mean, Faith.

Oh you mean lack, I was like "huh?!?" at first.

Oh yeah Gates is about done, Microsoft could take a turn into the "Dark-side" under Bolmer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont remember but think that the dreamcast's GPU was a power VR

Karel Jansens said:
Game_over said:
Oh yeah Gates is about done, Microsoft could take a turn into the "Dark-side" under Bolmer.
There is a darker side??!!

Yeah, Microsoft just been building on their own success; Microsoft was never really on the Dark-side under Bill. Having such a big company you will always be thrown with anti-trust, class-action, and other types of suite at you. They just were able to deal with it. There is always some element of greed in ones success, but that's always on both sides, there is never a 100% good guy in the end. Play Mass Effect :rolleyes:.

MS was never some evil empire; they're a company and that's how capitalism works; they did some things I don't agree with in the name of competition but nothing even approaching 'evil'. And let's face it, the reason Linux never works as well as XP out of the box is because there isn't a huge company with enormous market share whose livelihood depends on it working as it needs to. The faults is has are fairly minimal considering how much hardware it has to support too....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast

CLX2, 7.0 Mil polygons/second peak performance, supports Trilinear filtering. Actual maximum in game performance (with full textures, lighting, gameplay, etc.) of over 5 Mil polygons/second.

Brutal GPU. I doubt this OMAP can emulate that.

Fishing Rod A motion sensitive fishing rod was released for the few fishing games on the system. The fishing rod can actually be used with SoulCalibur and Tennis 2k2 like the Wii Remote.

Cool!

Kramy said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast

CLX2, 7.0 Mil polygons/second peak performance, supports Trilinear filtering. Actual maximum in game performance (with full textures, lighting, gameplay, etc.) of over 5 Mil polygons/second.

Brutal GPU. I doubt this OMAP can emulate that.

Fishing Rod A motion sensitive fishing rod was released for the few fishing games on the system. The fishing rod can actually be used with SoulCalibur and Tennis 2k2 like the Wii Remote.

Cool!

The OMAP uses a PowerVR-based GPU too, maybe it can be an advantage if accessing at low level and using the DSP for whatever.

The fishing rod thing is mostly a funny thing, those games not supports the device and it's just a tricky thing that isn't usable with those games. I think the menu hack offered with Puyo Puyo Fever had something more interesting about the fishing rod. Never trust Wikipedia stuff totally, it's full of lies and inaccurate information all time.

Stealth Bagel said:
MS was never some evil empire; they're a company and that's how capitalism works; they did some things I don't agree with in the name of competition but nothing even approaching 'evil'. And let's face it, the reason Linux never works as well as XP out of the box is because there isn't a huge company with enormous market share whose livelihood depends on it working as it needs to. The faults is has are fairly minimal considering how much hardware it has to support too....
Linux works no where near as well as Windows does. Like some people have said on this forum, if you want drivers you have to either find them (most likely on another PC) or write them yourself. Linux is intended for a different group of people, never a substitue (IMO) of Windows. Really the Mac is Windows competitor. Even with big company backing Linux wouldn't make it, too much effort to get things to work for it.

People just don't like Microsoft because of how wealthy it has become.

JakeK said:
Stealth Bagel said:
MS was never some evil empire... BLA BLA
Linux works no where near as well as Windows does.
BLA BLA

Please keep this on topic, use another thread for Windows VS Linux wars :)

What devs think of using the OMAP's PowerVR for making Dreamcast emulation easier? I have no clue so I ask if possible to do :)

atomicthumbs said:
I'd think that (as an extreme generalization) a megahertz for a CISC CPU (Xbox's Celeron 733) is worth more in terms of power than a megahertz for a RISC CPU (ARM). Of course, this doesn't take into account the various features of each, and the various coprocessors, etc. on the OMAP.
Yuck, don't make that generalization. Clock rate is restricted by the slowest path some signal might have to travel (between sequential logic); the microarchitecture is much more significant than the ISA in determining how clock rate relates to performance (i.e. how many stages does the pipeline have, what is the effect on branches and misses in the cache, does the processor utilize out-of-order execution, how many functional units does it have, etc.). Without knowing how the two compare, you shouldn't make sweeping judgments about performance using the clock speed.

I'm assuming you were trying to generalize about relative performance between RISC and CISC processors using clock speed--you could have meant that some percentage change in clock speed on a CISC processor has a greater effect (with all else held constant). No comments on whether the latter is true, but I suspect there's little difference and it would depend on the instruction mix :) .

I think you don't really realize how powerful is the dreamcast.
It's quite like saying that PS2 emulation is possible on the Pandora...

Ayla said:
I don't know, that's why I ask. But maybe because the GPU of the OMAP used is an evolution of PowerVR, that can help in not need to emulate that part of Dreamcast.

I just want to know it that could be technically possible and if could help a lot in emulating Dreamcast on Pandora :)

timofonic said:
Ayla said:
I don't know, that's why I ask. But maybe because the GPU of the OMAP used is an evolution of PowerVR, that can help in not need to emulate that part of Dreamcast.

I just want to know it that could be technically possible and if could help a lot in emulating Dreamcast on Pandora :)

Look, it may be an evolution, but it isn't the same.

It's like saying the 7300GT is an evolution of the 6800ULTRA. Same architecture, but one is made to consume way less power, and has worse specs, and newer features.

To emulate a dreamcast GPU, using all the fancy tricks like cross-compiling code and running it natively, the Pandora GPU would have to be about 12x faster than the PSP GPU. How likely is that? :unsure:

However, the Pandora GPU does have OGL ES2.0 support, so even if it can't match a Dreamcast's raw poly fill rate, it should be able to provide spiffy effects for any commercial games.

timofonic said:
No. There will never be a DC emulator for the Pandora that will run at anything close to a useful speed. That is the answer.

Ayla said:
Not quiet. The Pandora outclasses the Dreamcast, but not the PS2.

I think Chip has the bottom-line. It's the only certain thing in this thread.

OMAP3430 doesn't outclass the Dreamcast's capabilities by enough to even begin to consider the feasibility of emulating it; the very concept is lunacy.

Stealth Bagel said:
OMAP3530 doesn't outclass the Dreamcast's capabilities by enough to even begin to consider the feasibility of emulating it; the very concept is lunacy.
fixed :D

Back