Dreamcast Emulator Question

ultm8

Still Fresh
Is it possible to run dreamcast backups on a dreamcast emulator, is it? And if it isn't, is it possible in the future?

(naw)mcx said:
flash101 said:
(naw)mcx said:
It is possible in the future.

But it's also possible today.

:D
how,how,how!?

One quick search found me this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMupCITkGSs

enjoy :)

I like the song, makes me think of Intel.

@flash101 have you looked into using SBI (Self-Boot Inducer?) It's pretty handy.

Last edited by a moderator:
What emulator?
I thought all emulators booted any disk (burn correctly) and maybe ISO's?

Self Boot disks even boot of any UNmodified dreamcast - Why would they not boot on an emulator? :huh:

The person who started the topic (TC right?) is probably talking about emulating dreamcast on a computer (not sure though)

Also not all unmodified dreamcasts boot user made self booting disc. Something about the newer dreamcasts I think.

All Dreamcasts run burned stuff unmodified, so long as it's been burned at a low speed.

Mega5657 said:
The person who started the topic (TC right?) is probably talking about emulating dreamcast on a computer (not sure though)

Also not all unmodified dreamcasts boot user made self booting disc. Something about the newer dreamcasts I think.

Jourdy is correct.
They can all play unsigned code, by either burning SB (self boot) games or by the user creating a utopia boot disk.
The culprit it actually two sound files... They should have done better with their security.
I have two dreamcast's and I've had many more. One I have is from just before they died.

Dreamcast is a damn great console! It's a damn shame that most (I don't want to debate) of their games were either crappy small 3rd person shooters or PSX ports.

Any recommendations for good Dreamcast games that go unnoticed? Racketboy made good suggestions, I wondered if you had any others ;-)
Hate to go off-topic, but yeah, their security (or should I say lack of!) got Sega to leave the console business.

Jourdy288 said:
Any recommendations for good Dreamcast games that go unnoticed? Racketboy made good suggestions, I wondered if you had any others ;-)
Hate to go off-topic, but yeah, their security (or should I say lack of!) got Sega to leave the console business.

Good games: Virtua Tennis 2k(2), Marvel Vs Capcom(not unknown)...

Simpsons Quake!

MSR is a good racer.. Great racer, actually.

Jourdy288 said:
*snip*

Not really, it rather made the console more popular. What made Sega f*** it all up was their complete lack of understanding for the western market. As far as I remember there was little to no advertisement in Europe and the US. Due to the lack of copy protection the console homebrew scene was basically founded and lots of people bought a dreamcast for that reason only. Also, at the time, burning CDs wasn't as easy for everyone as today and blanks were still pretty expensive (at least over here in Europe). Sega released the last original game for the Dreamcast in 2007. Piracy is just a cheap excuse for their failure against the competition. The Dreamcast had a magnificient release line-up, it was the first console ever to feature online multiplayer and was overall just ahead of it's time. It failed because of the Playstation 2 being released:

quoted from wikipedia:

Sega always sucked at promoting their consoles, the Saturn was a failure, pretty much noone owned the gamegear (eventhough it could have been way better than the gameboy tech wise) and the Nomad was an atrocity. I am not even going into how bad the MegaCD and 32x actually sold and then crashed and burned.

EDIT: Lol, completely forgot to answer the actual question for games ^^.

Okay, if you want some fun for your DC/emulator, take a look at these:

Bangai-o (weird 2d mecha shoot-em-up originally released for the N64)
Project Justice (fun beat-em-up with awesome multiplayer capabilities)
Virtual On (awesome mecha simulation)
EGG: Elemental Gimmick Gear (Very nice jrpg)

there are also unlimited numbers of japanese shmups that will blow your socks off, just too many to name.

Ikaruga is a good one. I'm looking to try out EGG and Stupid Invaders, too.

Yeah Ikaruga is great especially in two player coop. REZ is also awesome but I am sure everyone knows that already ^^.

I have never played stupid invaders but heard a lot about it. It's a point and click adventure, right? I remember it coming out on PC as well if I am not mistaken. Time to fire up my dreamcast after a long time of catching dust...

Back