GP2X Dreaming Of Descent For The Gp2x

This is actually a GP2X footage made over the TV-out.
It plays fullscreen while this version also offers 320x200 Cockpit View.

It was played with 280Mhz overclocked (the game also runs very very nice at 250) and it REALLY runs very smooth but I admit the filtering on the video could make it a bit more smoother.

Also the movement is made with the GP2X controls. It's hard to accomplish it, when you play the game for the very first time since the stick isn't analog, but 1nf1n1ty already plays the game for some weeks already ;)

You guys are freaking amazing!!! :) This has to be the fastest running piece of 3D code on the GP2X to date :ph34r:

"Fast" depends on the rate of overclocking :) (200Mhz is IMHO not the best idea - but yet playable)
Also I admit I haven't seen the REAL big rooms with TONS of bots in the game. This could indeed go down a bit.

For me it's like: 200 Mhz plays ok. Stays smooth, but you notice slowdowns in bigger rooms and fights.
At 250Mhz even bigs rooms are fine for me but in fights with 5 or 6 robots, I notice it goes a bit down to 25-30 FPS.
I also turned down some detail levels so robots get a bit less dtailed on distance and very distant walls pop away so you won't see slowdowns in very long hallways.

Also as said: the video makes it probably "smoother" than reality. Well... it isn't much time anymore until dec 24th - then you will see :)

Khayman said:
Yono posted on Jul 20 2006 at 04:26 PM said:
If you have forsaken for PS, try it on PSX4GP2X and see if it runs.
Noop sorry.. it´s a pc game i have. did it go for ps to? i didnt know

Yes, I believe N64, PS, and obviously the PC (with online multiplayer) confirmed by the wikipedia page. Through the last 3 years I have been working on the PC version. It took about a year to port it off of directx and onto cross platform libraries. Lately I've been slowly looking into upgrading the engine. I think it would be rather easy as well to port it to Pandora. (http://fly.thruhere.net) Please see this POST also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to play Descent on the old DOS Kali network before there was a Windows port. That's right, I was blasting newbs back when some of you were still in diapers. ;)

Glad to see this port happen. For me though, it would be awkward playing it on anything other than a Sidewinder 3D Pro.

Berserk said:
I used to play Descent on the old DOS Kali network before there was a Windows port. That's right, I was blasting newbs back when some of you were still in diapers. ;)

Hah hah, me too .. we probably played against each other a fair bit, I imagine .. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back