Drmdx V5b7a Released

WOW! Many thanks, Notaz ... guess there's no reason now to not upgrade.

I have a wild idea: maybe GPH could release a damn firmware that doesn't break all the software already released for their machine? Then this sort of thing wouldn't be necessary.

slaanesh posted on Oct 26 2006 at 06:57 PM said:
Quasi-related: I think Hu6280 1.07 is broken with 2.1.0 as well. Or is this old news?

Yeah, only one piece of software.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ravnos posted on Oct 27 2006 at 02:29 AM said:
Quasi-related: I think Hu6280 1.07 is broken with 2.1.0 as well. Or is this old news?

That we know of yet. Probably be more.

I don't really see much of a reason to upgrade anyway. The old FW works fine without the animated menus. Gmenu2X is better anyway.

DaveC posted on Oct 26 2006 at 10:37 PM said:
Ravnos posted on Oct 27 2006 at 02:29 AM said:

That we know of yet. Probably be more.

I don't really see much of a reason to upgrade anyway. The old FW works fine without the animated menus. Gmenu2X is better anyway.

I've read that Gneogeo runs smoother and batteries last longer with teh new FW. I'm going to hold out for a bit though until these blurbs are confirmed ...

I can confirm gngeo running a lot smoother with the new firmware.. can't say I've noticed any increase in battery life.

For those that think using gmenu2x is a reason to not upgrade.. the addition of command line options to run default menu apps, such as the File Explorer, improves the functionality of gmenu2x.

slaanesh posted on Oct 27 2006 at 01:57 AM said:
If you edit the ini file and turn off Squidge's hack it runs fine :)

I can also confirm Gngeo is running smoother.

It seems like the performance increase is related to faster loading from the sd (correct me if i'm wrong). You still get fps drops but they're for a noticably much shorter period of time. 60FPS seems to be sustained for longer due to 2.1.0 firmware.

Updating takes about 15-20seconds, for me its a worthy upgrade! :D

DrMD was only broken because it referred to a specific memory location that was broken in 2.1, and GPH improved the SD communication somehow in this release, things that make a lot of accesses to the SD card seem to have considerably improved performance.

That's why you upgrade :) Thanks for upgrading DrMD to work notaz

TelcoLou posted on Oct 27 2006 at 02:40 AM said:
I've read that Gneogeo runs smoother and batteries last longer with teh new FW. I'm going to hold out for a bit though until these blurbs are confirmed ...
I didn´t try this, but do you remember how many people thought their emus would run faster after they installed the new eurofirmware on the GP32? Someone said the new FW was faster, by which he meant loading times, and everybody (well, not me) thought the performance would be better...

subcon959 posted on Oct 26 2006 at 10:27 PM said:
This explains it, then. They implemented the MMU hack as a kernel module. This will break compatibility with some apps, like the ones that already use the MMU hack internally. Craig had told me that you'd be able to switch the module on/off in a menu, apparently GPH didn't feel like bothering. Thanks GPH.

Epicenter posted on Oct 27 2006 at 10:34 AM said:
subcon959 posted on Oct 26 2006 at 10:27 PM said:
This explains it, then. They implemented the MMU hack as a kernel module. This will break compatibility with some apps, like the ones that already use the MMU hack internally. Craig had told me that you'd be able to switch the module on/off in a menu, apparently GPH didn't feel like bothering. Thanks GPH.
I'm pretty sure that the MMU hack is not included is this release (to be verified). IIRC, Hu6280 didn't benefit very much from the mmu hack anyway, it was allready very fast without.
The issue with application that used the hack internaly is that they access a precise adress in the memory to override some kernel code. Whith a new module, this adress has changed, and the old code can't work.

Back