Dropbox?

mazza558

Dropbox

This would be great to see on the Pandora. Save a document in a wifi area and when you get home it's already on your main PC. Get some files a friend put on, when you're travelling. It'd be awesome!

As far as I know, the plugin works for Nautilus, a Linux file manager, and is open source so could possibly be ported to ARM.

Dropbox isn't open source. It's available to all x86 OS's.

Your best bet would be to use the Web version to upload and download. Not as integrated but it will work through FF

This is already taken care of with kdelibs: There is KIO and SOLID to allow for remote file management.

To be fair, Dropbox is a turn-key solution across all OS's.

Yeah, dropbox is awesome. I use it to keep random files synced between 3 machines. I used to use svn for this sort of thing but I would always forget to commit. Dropbox makes it dead simple. Too bad it's not open source though :(

Phawx said:
Dropbox isn't open source. It's available to all x86 OS's.

Your best bet would be to use the Web version to upload and download. Not as integrated but it will work through FF
Dropbox's nautilus plugin is open source ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be interested, but as far as I can tell from the scarce documentation available it doesn't mount to a real folder, but instead expects there to be some client to connect to it.

sshfs and rsync are still better options for me.

The nautilus plugin has to connect to a daemon. This daemon is *NOT* open source, and thus highly unlikely of it being ported to the ARM architecture. I generally avoid Dropbox anyway because of the evil non-freeness. Not to mention they try to act FOSS friendly by having the plugin GPL'd, but having the actual important part a binary just ruins it :p

You could probably accomplish the same thing with a shell script with some of the inotify tools + rsync :p

Or you can use a gmail account and googlefs. That would be about 7 gigs storage.

greendots said:
Or you can use a gmail account and googlefs. That would be about 7 gigs storage.
Or Firefox addon Gspace though not as integrated in to your OS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back