Ds Emulator?

DS emulation is hard. Even if something turned up which could emulate the DS, it would be unlikely that it could manage everything (perhaps anything) you want to run, and would have the obvious problem of there not being much screen real estate on the Wiz. Buy another DS.

Well, I know Yoshihiro made a DS emulator for the Psp, but I don't think it's open source or if it could be ported to the Wiz. Plus, I've never actually seen Yoshi's emu so I don't know how it plays without a second screen.

Isn't there talk of a possible Ds emulator for the Pandora?

Orion4874 said:
Well, I know Yoshihiro made a DS emulator for the Psp, but I don't think it's open source or if it could be ported to the Wiz. Plus, I've never actually seen Yoshi's emu so I don't know how it plays without a second screen.

Yoshihiro didn't make anything, he ported DesMuME. And predictably it ranges from very slow to absurdy slow. Games like Yoshi's Island DS that don't use a lot of DS CPU time are only very slow, but still far too slow to be playable, IMO.

Orion4874 said:
Isn't there talk of a possible Ds emulator for the Pandora?

Anyone can talk about anything, that doesn't really mean it holds any significance. Nonetheless, Wiz isn't Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
Wiz isn't fast enough.

Are the processors close enough that you wouldn't need to emulate them? I know they both use arm processors, but I don't know if they are compatible or what level of compatibility they might have if they are. If they are, and you don't do sound, could the wiz then just emulate the video chip or is even that just too advanced for the wiz to handle?

SONY said:
GENERAL EMULATION POINTERS:

To emulate a game system, the system to run the emulator on must be 7 times as powerful(as I've heard)

Is this true? B)

No that's crap, just some random figure someone invented to make themselves look smart. My GBA had a (simple) SNES emulator on it, and there's no way it was 7x more powerful. Besides, different machines are more powerful than others in certain areas, for example an amiga was much better at processing GFX than a high end PC back in the mid 90's, though the PC supposedly had more raw power - different systems act in different ways and there's no simple ratio that can be applied as to what's needed to emulate a completely different kind of system.

PS. Don't listen to me, I know nothing.

TitanUranus said:
No that's crap, just some random figure someone invented to make themselves look smart. My GBA had a (simple) SNES emulator on it, and there's no way it was 7x more powerful. Besides, different machines are more powerful than others in certain areas, for example an amiga was much better at processing GFX than a high end PC back in the mid 90's, though the PC supposedly had more raw power - different systems act in different ways and there's no simple ratio that can be applied as to what's needed to emulate a completely different kind of system.

PS. Don't listen to me, I know nothing.

SNES on GBA was generally not fullspeed - sometimes far below - had no sound, and had the benefit of having the video emulated in hardware. Having said that, in terms of instructions per second GBA's CPU can handle 10+ million on a good day (optimized ARM code running from IWRAM). With SNES you probably won't see more than 1 million in code that's useful for much. In terms of quality of instructions, ARM's way may more capable and will almost always get the same sort of thing done in fewer instructions, especially if it's ALU heavy code. So actually, GBA's CPU is typically way more than 7 times more powerful than SNES's. Unfortunately people don't really say CPU when they're using these silly "N times" comparisons for emulators, but they mean it implicitly.

Back