Dual Screens With Pandora?

Consequence_9

have you realized that rock stars always seem to l
LCD-4300U_04[1].jpg

lcd-4300u.jpg

LCD-4300U_Specs.jpg

How cool would this be!? A second 4.3" 800x480 screen via usb!

Source

Its got a standard mini-usb port on it (just btw), I'll look around & see if i can find any linux usb-monitor drivers.

Well, I believe more people would find it interesting to buy some kind of USB graphics card to get DVI or perhaps even HDMI output (should be easy to convert DVI to HDMI). That fixes what some people believe to be Pandora's worst flaw.
Also, I think the vanilla Linux kernel has drivers for USB graphics adapters (and displays).

nice idea I guess, but.. "19 800 Japanese yen = 198.1782 U.S. dollars" I don't think I want to pay that much for a small screen when I can get a 22 inch one for my desktop for that much.

Etinin said:
Well, I believe more people would find it interesting to find some kind of USB graphics card to get DVI or perhaps even HDMI output (should be easy to convert DVI to HDMI). That fixes what some people believe to be Pandora's worst flaw.
Also, I think the vanilla Linux kernel has drivers for USB graphics adapters.
That's been discussed a bit, and it's not likely.
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=43349
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=44185
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...mp;#entry586910

The last link is a post from MWeston, recommended reading.

A second 800x480 display via USB just might be possible though. I'd like to think so, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is quite awesome. B) Also somewhat useless and insane... If something like this is available for less money (~100€) and includes a touchscreen, I'd probably get one. Could be great for 2 player games on one Pandora. The other dude gets the USB screen and an USB gamepad. :D Fun local Quake sessions. For extended fun, add more screens and gamepads. I wonder how many the Pandora could handle simultaneously. :blink:

OrR said:
This is quite awesome. B) Also somewhat useless and insane... If something like this is available for less money (~100€) and includes a touchscreen, I'd probably get one. Could be great for 2 player games on one Pandora. The other dude gets the USB screen and an USB gamepad. :D Fun local Quake sessions. For extended fun, add more screens and gamepads. I wonder how many the Pandora could handle simultaneously. :blink:
Haha! now that's an idea :lol:
have a quake party everyday at lunch in school :)

I've just found this one usb 2 vga, it looks so good that I'm almost ready to buy it.

D25-1100-out2-hl.jpg

another link, and another

If those would work... it would be plain great. I would no longer need to worry about attending conferences - I could show my presentations directly from pandora :) And everyone will be wondering, like WTF?? this device is smaller than that VGA cable it connects to. B)

Username said:
Cool but a little useless.
Well, you speak for yourself :) It will be extremely useful for me if it works. Pandora is a very small UMPC (you can't deny that ;)), and I'm attending like 7 conferences each year - carrying 3kg laptop with me is a real hassle, Pandora will solve that problem perfectly. And even better if I will be able to connect it to a projector - so no need to copy my presentation to some local computer.

Have a look at the threads I linked earlier, cosurgi. There are mixed opinions on those things, and we don't know how Pandora will go outputting a second display at 1024x768 or greater.

If it's viable though, I'll be interested in one too!

Personally I would love a usb screen. I would use it with both my laptop & the pandora as an IM screen, that way I could watch a movie on one screen & IM on the other without switching between the two. It would pretty much be strictly for home use, but thats really the only time I do either of those things. Plus it would make a DS emulator more feasible (plus it would be really sweet to have a huge widescreen DS). I agree with OrR though, I would really like it to be a lot cheaper.

I imagine the utility of a USB > VGA adaptor would depend entirely on the ability of the Pandora to be programmed to pass the screen data to the USB data stream without too much data manipulation.
My guess that it would be a rather complicated programming task, but I have no knowledge of the specifics.

From what I've read here about the SVGA output, the TI chip should be capable of some very competent video out right from the start. You may want to look into SVGA to VGA converters for your presentations, or just using the SVGA direct for projectors so equipped (most are, at least those at commercial conference rooms).

Unless your presentation requires small computer text, the SVGA should be fine.
Powerpoint presentations usually use large fonts, anyway, for viewing by people in a large room.

I just thought of something. You can get a usb touch pad, this and a begleboard, and a keyboard, and have a UMPC as it is :p

cosurgi said:
I've just found this one usb 2 vga

I've sent email to author of this webpage:

Strotmann said:
cosurgi said:
Can you tell me what is the linux driver that supports this usb2vga device?
I just ordered Pandora UMPC (uses ARM processor, http://openpandora.org/ ) and I would be really happy if I could connect it to VGA projector using USB port.

this driver: http://www.winischhofer.eu/linuxsisusbvga.shtml
which is also part of the vanilla Linux kernel.

The USB Controller in the Pandora must be then a Host Controller, not a
device Controller.

Best regards

That's great news for us. USB 2 VGA will Just Work ™ ! Becasue - USB on Pandora is a Host cotroller - isn't it?

Bus limitations make it unlikely, but still, promising. Just don't expect to get any reasonably high resolution at a usable refresh rate.

AireTamStorm said:
Bus limitations make it unlikely, but still, promising. Just don't expect to get any reasonably high resolution at a usable refresh rate.
I'd say it will be ok as long as you use it for presentations only. It will probably be useless for gaming and hd-movies.

I think all of those usb to video things don't even have their own gpus so it might slow things down too much to be practical...

Back