Dual Screens With Pandora?

What I would want is an e-ink display to plug in, so the pandora could double as an e-reader, the update frequency for it would not have to be good at all as only still images will be shown.

ShyGuy said:
Anyway, delay is always a possibility, but in many cases it's not so bad. I can feel maybe a tenth of a second delay, which does take a little getting used to, but it's not so bad that I can't beat most people in Smash Bros Brawl - wifi or otherwise. I was a god at PAX this year. XD

EDIT: I'd like to add that most upscalers or upscaling TVs would add a similar - maybe slightly smaller - delay. It's really not as bad as you say in my experience :p
Unless you are trying to play something like Guitar Hero/Frets on Fire/Stepmania/DDR or what have you. Found out real fast about the delay when I tried to hook up my ps2 to my brand new HD tv. And I could never get that damn calibration thing to feel right. Maybe it was just me fooling myself but it made playing with the lag, micro seconds of lag, impossible.

My biggest hope with the whole dual screen is to use the tv out put for the top half of the DS screen IF, and a big IF, we can ever even emulate the DS at a playable level. I would have my lower/touch screen half in my hand and the upper screen on my TV.

As for using an external usb game pad and an external screen for multi-player...I guess that is good for on the go but at least in home I will just output the video to a tv and have both of us use usb/bluetooth or whatever gamepads.

Last edited by a moderator:
dentrado said:
What I would want is an e-ink display to plug in, so the pandora could double as an e-reader, the update frequency for it would not have to be good at all as only still images will be shown.
Do you really see any use in that? The resolution of the Pandora's screen is very high, it should be difficult to distinguish individual pixels. The size is also pretty good, you should be able to put quite a bit of text on there. You can hold it sideways to get a portrait orientation. All that should pretty much make it perfect for ebooks and I could not justify carrying a big external device around with it that draws power and costs money, only for reading books. Of course, you can if you find a compatible USB device, I simply don't see what would be the point... :huh:

OrR said:
dentrado said:
Do you really see any use in that? The resolution of the Pandora's screen is very high, it should be difficult to distinguish individual pixels. The size is also pretty good, you should be able to put quite a bit of text on there. You can hold it sideways to get a portrait orientation. All that should pretty much make it perfect for ebooks and I could not justify carrying a big external device around with it that draws power and costs money, only for reading books. Of course, you can if you find a compatible USB device, I simply don't see what would be the point... :huh:

It's actually a great idea. First of all, if you've ever tried to read an ebook on a small screen, you'll know that it gets to be a pain. Second of all, the whole point of an e-ink display is that it uses very little power compared to normal screens. This is because it can keep an image on its screen without using any power; it only requires power when changing the image on the screen. You could turn the pandora's lcd off, and then use the e-ink display instead.

I read 1984 on the GBA and Cory Doctotow's Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town on my Neo 1973 so I don't know what you're talking about... ;)

The Archos 5 has a docking station that outputs HDMI, somebody should dissect this..

Back