Dual Shake Functionality Tacked On At Last Minute

PSyMastR

\m/O__O\m/
Website
Visit site
That's the impression given by a Eurogamer interview with Warhawk developer Incognito. One of the questions posed in our controller comparison editorial was in relation to how long ago the decision had been made to enhance the PS3 controller with automagical motion sensing capabilities. The article states that the developer only got their hands on the technology within the last two weeks, but the actual response given by Dylan Jobe to one of the questions is far more telling. When prompted about how long they had actually known about it, Jobe responded with, "We've really known officially for about a week and a half, and we did the final tuning just a couple of days ago."

A couple of days ago? Yikes.

Note to PS3 game developers: The PS3 controller has motion sensing abilities. Just thought you might like to know.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/05/09/dual-sha...at-last-minute/

Shikaku posted on May 10 2006 at 10:55 AM said:
This is silly. If they add both vibration (which I hate A LOT) AND motion detection, wouldn't they interfere with each other...?

I would assume they would not use them both at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
all i know is that Nintendo is releasing a new WII controller that looks like the Playstation controllers only rounded, if it is compatible with WII games and i don't have to use the magic wand to play WII games, then i will be sold on the WII.

sorry double post, but i'll make use of this mistake and post the picture and link when i find it again.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6149763.html

But i don't understand why this is needed if Gamecube controllers are already supported. Picture is too big to post, just click on the link and click on the picture. I like it, it looks comfortable, but i'd still rather use the game cube controller.

Angel posted on May 10 2006 at 03:21 PM said:
sorry double post at but i'll make use of this mistake and post the picture and link when i find it again.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6149763.html

But i don't understand why this is needed if Gamecube controllers are already supported. Picture is too big to post, just click on the link and click on the picture. I like it, it looks comfortable, but i'd still rather use the game cube controller.

Sony may have stolen the motion technology, but it looks like Ninty stole the see through buttons.

Angel posted on May 10 2006 at 02:21 PM said:
But i don't understand why this is needed if Gamecube controllers are already supported.
Because not everyone has a Gamecube controller, plus you can sell the new controller for lots of money, plus it may be wireless.

Plus, it looks like its more geared for SNES play, as the cube controller is a bit weird with the x and y being above to the right, instead of being traditional SNES layout.

nickspoon posted on May 12 2006 at 07:26 PM said:
The controller plugs in to the bottom of the remote, so yes, it will be wireless.

what the... seriously? I would think they would make it plug into the gc ports. I dont see how having a controller attached by wire to another controller is convenient at all; weird

Im pretty psyched for the Wii; i hope the games work. To be honest, its the only sytem I can afford, but if they can really pull of this controller thing- that would be awsome

i thought that particular controller the remote sat inside it like the deamcast memory and that it was the nunchuck controller that plugged in from the bottom...perhaps i was wrong :(

The idea is that the cable, being plugged in to the bottom of the Wiimote, can be shorter but at the same time the connection will be more flexible. No need for extension cables.

Also, if all these next-gen consoles have built-in wireless controller support, surely I could go into a game shop with my controller and control the demo units? :p

triksR4rabits posted on May 12 2006 at 06:10 PM said:
what the... seriously? I would think they would make it plug into the gc ports. I dont see how having a controller attached by wire to another controller is convenient at all; weird

Im pretty psyched for the Wii; i hope the games work. To be honest, its the only sytem I can afford, but if they can really pull of this controller thing- that would be awsome

The port on wiimote can take many different types of controllers including another wiimote. The drum game demo that used two wiimotes was awesome at E3. The retro controller has a mistery switch at the top. Even the Ninty rep didn't know what that does, but it's supposed to latch to something, he thought.

The half of games that I've tried seem gimmicky, and forced the control on me, but wii sport baseball, wario ware, mario galaxy to name a few showed solid promoses. Zelda and Metroid worked well in overall, but they seemed to go overboard.

After trying PS3 controller, calling Sony copying wiimote is a bit of stretch, IMO. I think, PS3 controllers motion sensor will be used as much as analog buttons on PS2, anyway. It felt 100% gimmicky on warhawk demo.

I'm just wondering, have Sony EVER had any genuine ideas of their own? I mean besides the EyeToy and having a DVD player built-in to a games console, what have they done, all by themselves, really?

Back