Dungeon keeper on qmenu?

char

I've seen some videos of DK one of my favorite games ever. Essentially I would download DK gold? From gog.com? And download qmenu? What would be done from there? No tutorials or anything from there on out. Happy hump day

I have it (classic dos version with CD image) running under Dosbox, but it runs too slowly, even on 900Mhz. The Pandora doesn't have enough power to emulate 486/586 systems properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even a 1ghz?
I have this in my GoG account, been meaning to give it a try on my 1Ghz.. 

I'll try both DosBox (easier to setup) and Qemu with ms-dos or freedos bootup.

Just so you know, yes you can get the dos version running you have to install dos and set it up with a mouse driver and once you have DK installed it is on the lower end of playable. scrolling is juddery, etc.

So yes it's possible but whether it's worth it...

I think Ingoreis has a gameplay video of this running on his Youtube channel?

Hey let me know trashy. I REALY wanna give this a go.
It seems GoG does some odd things to imitate the install CD.. so I need to figure out how to make it mount the CD image which isn't a real CD image for it to play the game..

you can look right at their dosbox confs and see exactly how to set it up
I need to look at it in more detail, the same imgmount commands don't seem to work properly on the Pandora.. I could eventually get it mounted, but the game still didn't recognize it as a legitimate CD.

Maybe i can make a Installer for the GOG Version.

Have it @ home but tried it not yet.

A Dungeon Keeper Qemu Install PND would make this more easy for all ;)

Maybe next Week when i have Holiday ;)

I can only tell you how I got it running.

I've got the original version of DK (no GOG).

1. I made an image → KEEPER.ISO

2. I mounted an install directory and the cd image in Dosbox (on my Linux PC, but it should work the same way on the pandora)

like this:

mount c "./"
imgmount d "KEEPER.ISO" -t iso
D:
setup.exe

3. I ended with a directory containing 2 items:

KEEPER ← directory

KEEPER.ISO

4. To run it on my PC, I wrote this batch script which can be directly run with dosbox:

mount c "./"
c:
cd KEEPER
KEEPER.EXE
exit

5. My pandora's dosbox is configured that way that it automounts sd-card/pandora/appdata/dosbox/games/ as C: . I cannot recall if that's default config or if I have set that option manually.

Anyway, I placed the game in there and changed my batch file a little bit:

Code:
cd KEEPER
KEEPER.EXE

I have the GOG version running under Qemu, I wonder if it's faster under dosbox or qemu though? I can't 100% remember how I got it running, but I either extrcted all the data files from the GOG cd image, or else I simply placed that image file into the data directory and altered the config files to point directly at it (or a mix of both possibly). Apologies for the vagueness of my reply, it was a while ago now and I'm typing from work (ssh!). Hopefully this might help point someone more knowledgable than me in the right direction.... :blink:

I have the GOG version running under Qemu, I wonder if it's faster under dosbox or qemu though? I can't 100% remember how I got it running, but I either extrcted all the data files from the GOG cd image, or else I simply placed that image file into the data directory and altered the config files to point directly at it (or a mix of both possibly). Apologies for the vagueness of my reply, it was a while ago now and I'm typing from work (ssh!). Hopefully this might help point someone more knowledgable than me in the right direction.... :blink:
Interesting, if you're using Qemu and wine, then that would be the windows version, if you've got 3D acceleration running that might make a difference.

Because of the resolution on the Pandora, I'm not sure how much difference it's going to make between the two versions. The windows version is somewhat higher resolution, but on a screen size this small, I'm not sure how noticeable that would be.

The Windows version has a resolution of 640x480, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Back