Dvd Playback

palfrey

Still Fresh
Has anyone tried playing DVD with the GP2X? I don't mean ripped DVDs - I mean actual, straight from the disk DVDs, say connected via the breakout board and a DVD drive with a USB connector?

On a similar note, has anyone tried playing .avi's (divx encoded of course) or games from cd/dvd via the same route? I'm considering buying a gp2x as a the core of a "home media centre" thing, and being able to play DVDs, movies and random games would be very nice.

I asked the same question earlier and never got a reply, I was wondering mainly to know whether it can be used to test psx4all emu and for he same exast reason palfrey here is asking.

DVD is not possible at the moment, 'cause there's no fast mediaplayer for mpeg2 content and you have to implement a way of decrypting css by implementing decss .... which is illegal in some country's.
The other thing should work, if the cd/dvd-drive identifies itself as standard mass storage device. If not, support for usb-atapi bridges has to be build into the kernel or provided as module. I have to admit, that i could be wrong on the last part, 'cause i don't really know how a usb-dvd/cd-drive identifys itself .... i know there's a special driver for them in the vanilla kernel :)

Back