Dvd Region

Horscht

Banned?
Website
Visit site
Hi

i want to buy a DVD with the region code 1. However, I live in germany, which basicaly means i got region code 2. Now, i found a text on the internet on how to unlock my stand-alone DVD-player to read any region code. But before i go and buy something that won't work on my Player, I would like to test a region-locked DVD. But I don´t have access to one. Is there some way i can make my own region-locked DVD out of a video file or another DVD?

thanks in advance

Horscht

DVDDecrypter allows you to set Regions... Just set it to Region 1 :)... Or was it DVD Shrink :huh: :huh:

anyway, one of the 2 lets you set regions :)

image001.gif

8 Regions in total. #7 is unused & #8 is used in airplanes. :)

mattmagoo posted on Dec 22 2004 at 02:26 PM said:
plus regio 0 which is compatible with everything

Region 0 is same as Region Free :)

Last edited by a moderator:
mattmagoo posted on Dec 22 2004 at 03:26 PM said:
But hardly ever used, even movies that have been released 25 years ago still get a regioncode so Europeans have to buy more expensive DVD's.

I have unlocked my stand-alone player the same way and it plays all regions I try (actually, that's just region 1 and 2) , if you can find the same information at a few different places it will work out just fine.

raven posted on Dec 22 2004 at 05:33 PM said:
But hardly ever used, even movies that have been released 25 years ago still get a regioncode so Europeans have to buy more expensive DVD's.

Most Music DVDs are Region Free.

Last edited:
alright! My DVD-player is now codefree. However, right after I entered the code, it refused to read Region 2 DVD's (well, very bad, isn't it?), But I tried it a second time and now it works. Perhaps this was to scare cosumers off, or something. Thanks Steve-O for telling me the program names.

EvilDragon posted on Dec 22 2004 at 08:22 PM said:
raven posted on Dec 22 2004 at 05:33 PM said:

Most Music DVDs are Region Free.
You are right about that. I wasn't thinking about music DVD's when I wrote my post. Still, if region codes are only there to ensure people can't buy movie DVD's from another region before those movies are released in cinema's or for rent in their own region there is no need for region codes on older movies.

I'm just a bit skeptical about the explanations for the region codes, the only region free movie DVD's I have ever seen were discs with material that had already been released into the public domain.

raven posted on Dec 22 2004 at 10:35 PM said:
Still, if region codes are only there to ensure people can't buy movie DVD's from another region before those movies are released in cinema's or for rent in their own region there is no need for region codes on older movies.

It's not only that.
In every country, a different distributor has the license rights for the movie.
If the DVD publisher wants to release it in a country, he has to pay for these licenses.
If it'd be codefree, he would have to pay in EVERY country for the license fee... but, for example Americans don't need the movies in other languages. If the American publisher would have to pay to all the distributors in the world, the DVD would be more expensive for the Americans.

A second reason for the region codes:
If you live in a country like UK, Germany or USA, you could buy DVDs from smaller, less rich other countries pretty cheap. They DON'T want you to buy them cheap, as they'd lose A LOT of money...

Last edited:
EvilDragon posted on Dec 22 2004 at 10:45 PM said:
raven posted on Dec 22 2004 at 10:35 PM said:
Still, if region codes are only there to ensure people can't buy movie DVD's from another region before those movies are released in cinema's or for rent in their own region there is no need for region codes on older movies.

It's not only that.
In every country, a different distributor has the license rights for the movie.
If the DVD publisher wants to release it in a country, he has to pay for these licenses.
If it'd be codefree, he would have to pay in EVERY country for the license fee... but, for example Americans don't need the movies in other languages. If the American publisher would have to pay to all the distributors in the world, the DVD would be more expensive for the Americans.

A second reason for the region codes:
If you live in a country like UK, Germany or USA, you could buy DVDs from smaller, less rich other countries pretty cheap. They DON'T want you to buy them cheap, as they'd lose A LOT of money...
Okay, that's about the best explanation I have ever heard/ read about the region code system. So far the only explanations I found focused on the cinema and rental releases and protecting that market. I still don't see what's wrong with me buying my DVD's from a third world country for 1.5 dollars though ;) (<-- means I'm kidding)

Unfortunately the way this system works means I can only get certain DVD's from a different region (if the publisher thinks there is no market for it here) and will have to play it on hacked/flashed hardware and hope I will still be able to play them in the future.

Before you ask: I collect animation and a lot of classic animation DVD's are not for sale in Europe. To me it seems a bit silly I have to remove the region code system from my DVD player to play a DVD I buy and import when at the same time my player plays DivX which is (let's be honest) almost only used for 'stolen' movies.

I do get the point(s) in your explanation ED but the system leaves a lot to be desired IMO.

some players are already designed to be region free. that ps2 dvd is fully legal, they sell it in places like argos, and my dvd player plays ntsc and pal ones anyway

Goity posted on Dec 23 2004 at 09:01 PM said:
some players are already designed to be region free. that ps2 dvd is fully legal, they sell it in places like argos, and my dvd player plays ntsc and pal ones anyway

Yep, and they're totally legal.
From the money of every codefree DVD player sold goes a tiny bit to the different DVD publishers.

Last edited:
Back