E3 2017

Heh, same here once I got the funds. I'm intrigued by the 65W 1700. Price/performance is looking great
Edit: Looking forward to the APU models

I settled for the 1400+Gigabyte RX 560 to keep the price down, but definitely going big on the PSU to keep the upgrade path open. It will be very compelling if Raven Ridge APUs offer switchable graphics (like NVIDIA Optimus).

I've never been an AMD fanboy, but they're the only dGPU company that gives a damn about OSS graphics.

just read this somehwere about the new M$ device: "enhanced Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One games." Is the standard XBONE backwards compatible already!?
Because instead of selling you the same emulated titles over and over *winks at nintendo* or requiring you to litter your living room with consoles, you can play your old favourites on the same machine, with some improvements like probably 60Hz. Not interested personally, but that's a smart move right there. Right, Sony? *nudge nudge*

Last edited:
Outside of game engine work, ID software hasn't been directly tied to the Wolfenstein series for some time, the last game they were directly involved with is Wolf 3D: Spear of Destiny. The prior games were done by Raven Soft, Grey Matter, Splash Damage and now the latest games have been Bethesda.
Whoops. Well the game looks awesome regardless!

@kuru Looking at the list of release titles, there's already a nontrivial amount of Xbox 360 games on there. I doubt you'd be able to pop in OG Xbox or X360 disks and have them work. They did the same thing as Sony in regards to re-releasing past titles on the XBONE.

What would be nice is if digital downloads linked to your XBL profile can be re-downloaded on the XBOX ONE X without re-purchasing them.

... to move from 14/16nm FinFET respectively to their respective 7nm FinFET processes, which will represent a pretty significant increase in performance/$ from the current market.

To me it doesn't look like there will be huge performance/$ increases, because from the informatione available it looks like the the smaller nodes are significantly more expensive to design for and build while at the same time delivering less benefits in electrical properties compared to earlier steps.

Pokémon Switch Development Confirmed (even if it will take quite some "two months(tm) " zykles)
And Super Mario Odyssey end of Oktober 2017 instead of end of the year
No Infos on the farmin simulator 2018 for the Switch but still some good news

"N" had a rather solid showing. Mario looks great, Rocket League is a great game to acquire, and just some decent games for the year. Metroid Prime 4, no chance of seeing that soon, but at least announced. There is a Metroid 2 remake for the 3DS that looks solid, and is a pacifier for the time being I suppose.

I forgot about Wolfenstein, and the Spider-Man game, both looked great as well. Several decent games to get once I buy a PS4/NS.

Chris

OMG METROID PRIME 4 is coming!!! dev has not been announced yet but I'm hoping if I pray hard enough It WILL be Retro Studios (as soon as we have a date I'll be ordering a Switch!) I feel spoiled this E3 Michel Ancel onstage to confirm there is such a thing as Beyond Good & Evil 2 & it is in current development.. makes a pleasant change to not not feel quite as jaded as I usually do after a gaming show.

Last edited:
Well...I did ask for Nintendo to bring some heat...but good lord...

I'm with @Garrett. The moment they drop a release date, I'm ordering a Switch.

EDIT: date for Metroid Prime, that is

OMG METROID PRIME 4 is coming!!! dev has not been announced yet but I'm hoping if I pray hard enough It WILL be Retro Studios (as soon as we have a date I'll be ordering a Switch!) I feel spoiled this E3 Michel Ancel onstage to confirm there is such a thing as Beyond Good & Evil 2 & it is in current development.. makes a pleasant change not not feel quite as jaded as I usually do after a gaming show.

Retro's not doing 4, another team/company is, but they have 3 titles to go on, so hopefully they don't drop the ball. LOL

Chris

Edit: Here's the press release from over at NeoGAF:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1390949

Drat! it's not Retro doing MP4 but a yet unnamed 'new team' all may not be lost just yet though as it still has Kensuke Tanabe in charge and let's face it Retro was an unknown quantity when the first Prime released.. time will tell I guess.

Last edited:
Drat! it's not Retro doing MP4 but a yet unnamed 'new team' all may not be lost just yet though it still has Kensuke Tanabe in charge and let's face it Retro was an unknown quantity when the first Prime released.. time will tell I guess.

I've always said "N" needs to put more young member's and college kids on their past franchises, as they breath new life in to some old tired concepts, and hopefully this is what we'll see here.

Most of what was done in BotW was suggested by young team members who play games across all kinds of platforms, not just "N" ones. And you got one of their fresher titles in God knows how long? Plus "N" is just slow as **** when it comes to game designs in general, so the more teams they have working, the better as far as I'm concerned. Just play 1, 2 and 3, and then go from there, and part 4 should be fine.

Chris

I would wager to say, that most of what was done in the new Mario, was probably from a game headed to the Wii U at some point, and then just got pushed back on to the NS. So at the very least, this game has probably had many extra years of development, so no surprise the games looks really creative and rather "new" along side some past titles.

Now lets hope it doesn't take another 2 gens to see a proper new 3D Mario game.

Chris

I doubt you'd be able to pop in OG Xbox or X360 disks and have them work.
Lol, they literally said you can pop in an OG disc and play it, during their conference :p And it already plays 360 discs (I've done so before). The only caveat is that the game needs to be on the compatibility list, since they need to work on each game individually to make it playable.

This E3, I was excited by a handful of games: Beyond Good and Evil 2, Metro Exodus, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, A Way Out, Spider-Man, Dragon Ball Fighter Z, and Metroid: Samus Returns.

I settled for the 1400+Gigabyte RX 560 to keep the price down, but definitely going big on the PSU to keep the upgrade path open. It will be very compelling if Raven Ridge APUs offer switchable graphics (like NVIDIA Optimus).

I've never been an AMD fanboy, but they're the only dGPU company that gives a damn about OSS graphics.
Will you be playing in 720p ? Isn't the RX560 too weak for 1080p ?

Now lets hope it doesn't take another 2 gens to see a proper new 3D Mario game.
I always wondered why they never made a true successor to Mario 64 since it was just great as it is and the same formula with better graphics and other levels would have been awesome.
I guess it was change for change's sake.

I always wondered why they never made a true successor to Mario 64 since it was just great as it is and the same formula with better graphics and other levels would have been awesome.
I guess it was change for change's sake.

Over the years, sometimes "N" uses their game resources to produce a second game in the same gen, but not very often. Majora's Mask comes to mind, Mario Galaxy 2 and the Spirit Tracks on the DS. But in these situations, the first title had to appear rather early, for there to be a second title in the same gen, so Mario 64 is for sure a title that had no reason not to see a second game on the N64. And once a new gen appears, then games are changed as a way to say hey, buy this title, as it wasn't possible on our last system. Otherwise, if it looks and functions the same, people ask why they need to spend another few hundred, when the game could have been done on the old hardware. So change often happens as a way to sell new games to new consumers.

I think that video might be true in regards to a company getting scared, as Mario 64 was a true game changer, and while I'm sure a second title on the N64 may have been well received, it may not have been as cutting edge, as maybe "N" would have liked, so it never got made. Or they had ideas they wanted to incorporate, but the N64 didn't have the horsepower to deliver what was wanted. I'm sure this happens more than not, but sometimes you here about these behind the scene situations, and sometimes you don't.

I thought Galaxy was amazing, and Galaxy 2 was just more of the same, with the dead weight removed, another excellent title, that while the same as the first, just took it to a whole other level. An exceptional sequel to say the least. Many may find it to similar to the first, but if Galaxy 2 is considered a bad title, because it doesn't offer enough "new" ideas, "N" could stand to have more repetition, as I thought it was a stellar release and one of their best titles ever.

Chris

Back