Easy Desktop Icon Management

Chaser

There's been a number of threads lately about new ideas for desktop management, alternate frontends etc with all manner of brilliant ideas expressed and their pros and cons debated and if they are worth pursuing but I've seen it mentioned at least a few times, that some folk find it kinda difficult with xfce, to simply move a PND icon about, to organise the one desktop/workspace we currently have to play with.

Its a minor thing to even bother doing but for those that want to shift an icon, by god is it difficult via stylus and nigh on impossible with a mouse hooked up aswell. Or is it just my two Pandora's?

It kinda reminds me of this classic Griswald moment

As I just cant seem to get em to go left, or any other direction for that matter. Sometimes they play ball sure but surely this should be a simple affair?

I know the proper answer here, is I should find out how to make the modifications to the OS to do this simply myself but before I do, is anyone out-there aware of a simple tweak or setting that will allow this to be as simple as a desktop PC's desktop environment, of click and drag (that actually works, as here it doesn't)?

Or any ideas as things for me to read up on, so I can create a script that will add a right click menu option of "move icon(s)", which then renders the icon(s) freely moveable, either by stylus, nub, or perhaps d-pad style, turning the desktop into a sliding puzzle style surface, until you re-right click and select "save/restore desktop icon layout"?

For what its worth in laugh factor I will post this anyway.

So to let me get this straight. You want a interface similiar to the Android Home Screen?

it would be possible to get generally what you're looking for if anyone decides to revive the Enlightenment desktop for the Pandora... e17 sports options that would generally give you what you're looking for. I'm actually surprised that there isn't much out there in the realm of talks for alternative desktops like e17 or LXDE... we all know that KDE and Gnome are too heavy for the Pandora... maybe even running Metacity would work out to your favor... can't think of any other DEs or WMs that have decent eye candy or a generally eye-catching appearance at the moment, but I'm sure plenty are in development... I will admit, I haven't gone searching for DE talks too heavily around here or the official forum, so I could have overlooked some stuff.

Thanks guys but no I've explained badly as usual. I've never owned anything android so I cant make the comparison but I just want to be able to easily shift icons about on the desktop and perhaps save their layout for if something messes them up. Such as SD Mass storage mode sometimes can.

Its no real issue though and I shouldn't have posted it but I had previously, and up until late yesterday, found it a PITA to move icons about and had seen a few others mention it in the past.

However I just found it not too bad for a change but it does require battering your touchscreen to death in the process and I have just 1 angle of current use-ability, due to lcd cable death, which is 180. That's 'if' I hang my Pandora upside down and then open it smoothly enough, which seems to re-seat the cable. So I'm on dicey enough turf as it is.

It just seems very hard to shift PND icons about the desktop thats all.

why not RMA (as far as the cable issue goes) Your question is valid as it's a usability question (at least I think it's valid). I recall XFCE being pretty easy to manage icons on the desktop with drag -n- drop functionality, but I have yet to try it out on the Pandora (still no email that mine has shipped :( ). I'm sure others who have can chime in on that.

I´ve kinda answered the RMA issue in another thread but I will in time (damn difficult to live without :)). Like to see how instant Pandoras pan out for the first batchers first and see if I can get the same unit back, bar cosmetic case base plate, new nubs and new design cable as its reliable, fast and a <100# so may hold interest in future (though new base means new sticker and I guess not original first run parts). Not that I ever plan to sell her.

Icon issue just seems a real pain compared to a desktops ease, you´ll see what I mean unless it is just this Pandora.

The icon issue is a pain. I couldnt even move my one existing icon on my desktop to the lower right, in the end because of my sheer frustration I just deleted the icon . >_>
Here's an odd tip tho if you still want to move it.
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55574-move-desktop-icons/page__p__898467&#entry898467

Last edited by a moderator:
You sir are a scholar and a gent! That's the thread I recall people griping about the issue in before but I must have missed dgames brilliant method, as that makes things a breeze. Thank you very much :)

Should I edit the thread title as [SOLVED] as it certainly works fine for what I was after?

Back