Easy Overclocking

bast525 posted on Apr 25 2005 at 05:36 AM said:
Trooper - you f'ing rock dude!!! Run that marathon!! If this doesnt' convince anyone that this is not as dangerous as some would like to convince us, then nothing will. Seriously though I personally, greatly appreciate the lengths you are going to to test this out... you are the bravest of all of us since you are not too concerned if your GP dies or not... so thanks for being such a great guinea pig!

I'm on Day 6 here, probably played about 12 hours total? Not continuously of course. Running things on average of 170mhz, still able to go up to 180-184 w/o lockups (depends on the app). Now I take this thing to work with me every nite in a GBA carry case, and am NOT gentle with it, toss it around into my car onto the desk at work whatever... so the graphite seems to be 'sticking' to the resistors just fine as nothing has changed.

Jcabrer - you f'ing rock too dude!!! For having this wonderful idea... I now play my GP32 a LOT more than I was since getting a PSP... now I have hardly touched the PSP in almost a week.

Thanks bast, But i think the credit should go to Jcabrer, Without him this would not have been possible, Well a least not yet anyway. I`m just taking advantage of the fact that i have 2 Blu`s and if she does die (which i doubt very much), She will be sorely missed. But i won`t be without a GP32.

Just like to say a very big thank you to Jcabrer for bringing this idea to us and injecting new life into the GP32`s of the people who have done this mod. Which has made alot more games an emulator alot more playable.

Jcabrer, I salute you, Thanks mate.

Quick update: It is now 33 hours since the Marathon (bast :lol: ) started etc, Well you know the rest.

Btw: How long do you think i should keep this going ?. I may have to look into buying shares in our local electricity company as she is showing no sign`s of ever giving up. :eek:

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried the mod, rubbed my GP32 on a #2 pencil.....f!*k me it works, 180WPM, me and the pencil are writing like Shakespeare ;)

My GP32 has a pretty naf speed but I think I'll wait till PSP has been out a while and then I'll pick me up a 180MHz gp32_console for a hopefully cheaper than present price.

trooper posted on Apr 25 2005 at 07:06 AM said:
bast525 posted on Apr 25 2005 at 05:36 AM said:
Trooper - you f'ing rock dude!!! Run that marathon!! If this doesnt' convince anyone that this is not as dangerous as some would like to convince us, then nothing will. Seriously though I personally, greatly appreciate the lengths you are going to to test this out... you are the bravest of all of us since you are not too concerned if your GP dies or not... so thanks for being such a great guinea pig!

I'm on Day 6 here, probably played about 12 hours total? Not continuously of course. Running things on average of 170mhz, still able to go up to 180-184 w/o lockups (depends on the app). Now I take this thing to work with me every nite in a GBA carry case, and am NOT gentle with it, toss it around into my car onto the desk at work whatever... so the graphite seems to be 'sticking' to the resistors just fine as nothing has changed.

Jcabrer - you f'ing rock too dude!!! For having this wonderful idea... I now play my GP32 a LOT more than I was since getting a PSP... now I have hardly touched the PSP in almost a week.

Thanks bast, But i think the credit should go to Jcabrer, Without him this would not have been possible, Well a least not yet anyway. I`m just taking advantage of the fact that i have 2 Blu`s and if she does die (which i doubt very much), She will be sorely missed. But i won`t be without a GP32.

Just like to say a very big thank you to Jcabrer for bringing this idea to us and injecting new life into the GP32`s of the people who have done this mod. Which has made alot more games an emulator alot more playable.

Jcabrer, I salute you, Thanks mate.

Quick update: It is now 33 hours since the Marathon (bast :lol: ) started etc, Well you know the rest.

Btw: How long do you think i should keep this going ?. I may have to look into buying shares in our local electricity company as she is showing no sign`s of ever giving up. :eek:

Trooper
go untill your house gets a power failure lol

Ok, I couldn't resist trying this, so I had a go on my GP32 non-lit 166MHz.

I tried drawing over the resistor several times with an HB pencil, but my GP32 wouldn't go over 166MHz. The surface of the resistor is shiny and the pencil lead was not sticking to it, so in a moment of sheer utter stupidity :blink: I scratched it with a screwdriver to roughen the surface!! Surprisingly my GP32 wouldn't boot at all after this...

So today I ripped out the R53 resistor and ended up attaching a new 470k resistor to the board with some blu tack covered in ground pencil lead (I'm a man who likes to do things properly! :D Actually, I don't have an appropriate soldering iron for such small components...). I was absolutely amazed when the thing actually booted up!

The interesting thing is that I tried all sorts of combinations while trying to get it working, including bridging the R53 gap with various amounts of pencil lead, and it didn't destroy my GP32. For the record I was using rechargeable batteries.

So I just checked the speed of my GP32, and it still tops out at 166MHz :p .

c0ncept posted on Apr 25 2005 at 11:27 PM said:
lol! At least its not dead :D

Totally agree! I won't be trying this again, 166MHz is fine for pretty much everything, besides I don't want to disturb that blu tack!

i've just clocked my flu to 204 mhz on dr md. any higher and it will crash midgame.

i'm sure with more fiddling i could get it higher, but it's good now i can play mortal kombat 2 at 60/60 fps!

Ok, This is probably getting boring now and i want to reap the rewards of my steroid induced GP32.

The marathon currently stands at just over 46 and a half hours with no snap, Crackles or pops to be heard.

When the 48th hour is reached i will consider the marathon officially over and the GP is all mine again. :D

Trooper

trooper posted on Apr 26 2005 at 01:44 AM said:
Ok, This is probably getting boring now and i want to reap the rewards of my steroid induced GP32.

The marathon currently stands at just over 46 and a half hours with no snap, Crackles or pops to be heard.

When the 48th hour is reached i will consider the marathon officially over and the GP is all mine again. :D

Trooper
What ammount of voltage are you runing through her?
When I first did this mod I just scribbled on it till I got 200mhz then got smart decide to check it with a volt meter but all the ones i have were analog so i went a bought a digital one and fallowing all the posts of how any thing over 2 volts = not a good idea, i cant even go 180mhz with the voltage out put of 2 :( .

Bourbon

Ok, It is over 48 hours now and i am going to switch her off once i have finished this post and give her a well deserved rest.

@ bourbon: Well i used an analogue tester (which is all i have), I was getting around 1.75 volts before the mod and around 1.85 ish after (very accurate i know). Thoughs measurements could be way off, But she has just done a 48 hour marathon without dieing, So im happy.

Well the marathon is offically over, 48 hours and 15 minutes.

Good night. :)

Trooper

Nice... 48 hours straight... unfortunately for those of us without voltmeters this does't mean 100% that our systems would fare so well since we've no idea what voltage we're all running, but I think this experiment is good proof that this mod CAN be safe and reliable and much easier than soldering resistors IMO. And with all the other 'evidence' so far it still seems unlikely this will cause any GP deaths. I dunno but after your test I've no doubt I'm going to leave mine modded like this permanently unless someones dies from it.

small update...

well it stopped working :(

heheh no it's not dead, didn't go poof or pop or any of those things... but it started locking up and doing all the stuff it was doing when I was expermenting with how much lead to put on the resistor, indicating too much voltage I guess? I'm gonna take the pencil off and see how it fares, guessing it'll still work just fine just no more 180mhz :(

So it is possible for the lead to 'wear off' I guess.... that sux... dont' want to redo this all the time.

EDIT: Damn I'm an idiot... I just made a nice headache for myself for nothing...

Well... the lead DIDN"T wear off... it was my f'ing BATTERIES! I kept forgetting to swap out the ones in there for fully charged ones, the ones in there now are the ones I've been playing on for the last few days with the higher clock speeds.

I only figured this out after I kept messing with the lead again trying to 'fix' it and finally decided to completely remove it and the GP still wasn't working... it comes on for about 15 seconds and then dies.... then I remembered that I was supposed to swap the batteries. Damn it...

So now after I get a fresh set in there I have to redo the lead on the resistors :( pain in the ass....

EDIT: confirmed.... batteries were dead. Got a fresh set in there, and redid (and redid, and redid, and redid... two hours of f'ing redoing to get this right!!!) the lead on both resistors, and now finally I can stably OC again, even better I can now OC a little bit higher :D to 192mhz stably (was 184mhz stably before)... so a good result of a stupid mistake... stupid dead batteries :p

just an estimate, 2300mAh NiMH batteries lasted me about 3 hours? Running emu's at anywhere from 166-180mhz.

bast525 posted on Apr 26 2005 at 11:50 AM said:
just an estimate, 2300mAh NiMH batteries lasted me about 3 hours? Running emu's at anywhere from 166-180mhz.

Thats exactly what I am running and I get about 3 hrs all at 166+ (playing at 180 dosnt seem to be making much difference) if I play other games or stuff at lower speeds then 4 hrs I would guess.

I have a regular Blu.

bast525 posted on Apr 26 2005 at 10:07 AM said:
small update...

well it stopped working :(

heheh no it's not dead, didn't go poof or pop or any of those things... but it started locking up and doing all the stuff it was doing when I was expermenting with how much lead to put on the resistor, indicating too much voltage I guess? I'm gonna take the pencil off and see how it fares, guessing it'll still work just fine just no more 180mhz :(

So it is possible for the lead to 'wear off' I guess.... that sux... dont' want to redo this all the time.

EDIT: Damn I'm an idiot... I just made a nice headache for myself for nothing...

Well... the lead DIDN"T wear off... it was my f'ing BATTERIES! I kept forgetting to swap out the ones in there for fully charged ones, the ones in there now are the ones I've been playing on for the last few days with the higher clock speeds.

I only figured this out after I kept messing with the lead again trying to 'fix' it and finally decided to completely remove it and the GP still wasn't working... it comes on for about 15 seconds and then dies.... then I remembered that I was supposed to swap the batteries. Damn it...

So now after I get a fresh set in there I have to redo the lead on the resistors :( pain in the ass....

EDIT: confirmed.... batteries were dead. Got a fresh set in there, and redid (and redid, and redid, and redid... two hours of f'ing redoing to get this right!!!) the lead on both resistors, and now finally I can stably OC again, even better I can now OC a little bit higher :D to 192mhz stably (was 184mhz stably before)... so a good result of a stupid mistake... stupid dead batteries :p

Are you going to keep it like that ~192mhz or fiddle around with it some more ?.

Btw bast: If the tv`s not working, Remember to check it`s plugged in before taking it apart. :lol:

Trooper

edwardar posted on Apr 26 2005 at 01:24 AM said:
Ok, I couldn't resist trying this, so I had a go on my GP32 non-lit 166MHz.

I tried drawing over the resistor several times with an HB pencil, but my GP32 wouldn't go over 166MHz. The surface of the resistor is shiny and the pencil lead was not sticking to it, so in a moment of sheer utter stupidity :blink: I scratched it with a screwdriver to roughen the surface!! Surprisingly my GP32 wouldn't boot at all after this...

So today I ripped out the R53 resistor and ended up attaching a new 470k resistor to the board with some blu tack covered in ground pencil lead (I'm a man who likes to do things properly! :D Actually, I don't have an appropriate soldering iron for such small components...). I was absolutely amazed when the thing actually booted up!

The interesting thing is that I tried all sorts of combinations while trying to get it working, including bridging the R53 gap with various amounts of pencil lead, and it didn't destroy my GP32. For the record I was using rechargeable batteries.

So I just checked the speed of my GP32, and it still tops out at 166MHz :p .
why are you doing this *** when you can solder? go the real(and secure) way.

Back