eBay

Just woke up today to find my pandoras here! YAY!  :D  However woke up to also find the seller canceled my freaking order of the welder. Guess he must've got his butt handed to him with the winning bid of 179.50  :angry:  That's annoying.. To say the bloody least. Oh well at least I won  vintage stitch welder for my modified  lincoln tombstone  welder I got from an old harley guy who used it as a Heliarc machine (welded frames engine cases side covers.. guy did everything with it.) (Came with a high frequency box hard wired to the positive lead. I opened up the system and removed the guts from the box and mounted them at the top of the system internally.  Looks like a regular welder just sounds like a tesla coil from hell!  :wub: ) .. I keep on gathering vintage welding stuff.. :huh:  Just got a book from 1949 for 10 bucks from ebay on welding. Covers Oxy and Arc.  That should be good. there's a lot of knowledge that's been lost due to it being "outdated." Or rather the techniques weren't passed down. Just like how oxy aluminum welding is a lost art. Steampunk,  Author, welder,  linux lover Aren't I just a lunatic?

I can't offer any advice as it appears all his items have been removed.

But, Ebay Buyer protection is TOP NOTCH.

From eBay:

"eBay and PayPal will be separate companies soon. We’ve updated the eBay and PayPal User Agreements and Privacy Notices."

How come PayPal will be a separate company now, yet still owned by eBay? I actually thought that, that was already the case, and has been so for as long as I can remember?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone, this morning I purchased something on eBay and this evening I received a message from the seller (I know, I know, I shouldn't really be showing you all my private messages, but meh)...

Hi there.

Your item has been shipped! All profit from our sales go towards helping refugees and asylum seekers in need.

Did you know that asylum seekers are able to enter Australia legally by any means avaliable including by boat.

Did you know that there are over 50 million people fleeing war and/or persecution of which nearly half are under 18.

The concept of queue jumping is a myth. There is no queue. At the current rate of resettlement of refugees it would take over 100 years to resettle every refugee.

Please consider the facts when forming a thought or opinion on this subject. Politicians and the media misfeed us.

Let's not lose our humanity. We can still change the world view of Australia from being a racist country to a generous one.

Hey everyone, this morning I purchased something on eBay and this evening I received a message from the seller (I know, I know, I shouldn't really be showing you all my private messages, but meh)...

Hi there.

Your item has been shipped! All profit from our sales go towards helping refugees and asylum seekers in need.

Did you know that asylum seekers are able to enter Australia legally by any means avaliable including by boat.

Did you know that there are over 50 million people fleeing war and/or persecution of which nearly half are under 18.

The concept of queue jumping is a myth. There is no queue. At the current rate of resettlement of refugees it would take over 100 years to resettle every refugee.

Please consider the facts when forming a thought or opinion on this subject. Politicians and the media misfeed us.

Let's not lose our humanity. We can still change the world view of Australia from being a racist country to a generous one.
Sounds like the seller wants Australia to be the melting pot and a superpower like the US ;)

Well, I'm not having a bar of it!!! I don't want invaders invading our convict island anymore I mean, there are enough outsiders living here as it is.
Yeah, they should kick everyone whose ancestors did not evolve in isolation there out.  I guess that means no more humans.  Sounds ideal to me.

On topic, I was recently reminded of a horrible transaction on ebay.  I think I have mentioned this here before, but I can't find it right now.  I purchased a set of handmade "books" that were going to be slightly customized (I chose specific contents that were included from a list).  I planned on buying many more things from this person in the future when I had money.  I don't remember what I paid, but it was at least a couple hundred dollars.  The maker/seller then said some family stuff came up, so I waited (so no refund from paypal I guess).  When inquiring after that there was always another excuse, such as the neighbor must have stolen the box when it was shipped out.  By this point it was obvious that the person was either full of shit, or didn't know how to deal with what they were trying to do (which I doubt, since they had been "selling" for a few years).  We continued back and forth some more, and I eventually was told that they didn't have the materials needed for the custom options I selected...printer ink.  I don't remember my reply, but I had paid to have it customized, so that was what I expected.  It had been many months by that point, and I was out of the country.  Whenever it was that the package and myself were both at my home at the same time I wanted to see what I had been waiting all this time for.  Of course they weren't packaged well, and a few pieces were badly damaged.  It was obvious they had been thrown together with little care, probably so I would leave the seller alone.  A year or two later I found out that the seller had been using this same scam for many, if not most, other buyers from their site and ebay.  There were some that have still received nothing even after several years, and many broken promises and low quality items for those that were delivered.  It reminded me of some things this community is familiar with.  This discussion was renewed recently because one of the few items that had actually been shipped was resold on ebay.  I can provide links if anyone is interested in more details.

I think e-bay increased their cut from 10% to something like 10.5 to 11%. I might be wrong but it seems to be increased for some reason or other.

Getting greedier all the time.

I think e-bay increased their cut from 10% to something like 10.5 to 11%. I might be wrong but it seems to be increased for some reason or other.

Getting greedier all the time.
If paypal is splitting off, ebay needs some other way to make money so they can stay in business.  (I am not serious at all.)

Most billion and trillion dollar companies are greedy. I feel like looking at the Man in The Mirror sometimes and then actually go to Africa to help all the starving children.

^ They may be greedy, but quite often they are really inefficient, too. The large software consultancies I'm working with now have nearly twice the internal costs for comparable quality than the SMB I was working for before. It is actually very difficult to scale a business. If you do it wrong some costs will explode, because of larger than linear growth. And synergy is too often smaller than hoped for.

So yesterday I purchased a laptop.  It is around 4 years old, but I needed something cheap that can handle what I need to throw at it.  The seller only uses a shipping company that I have had issues with in the past, so I asked for them to make some special arrangements (insurance and signature request).  They did this for me and even dropped the BIN price a bit.  I know ebay is tough on sellers, so I hope they didn't do that for fear of a bad review (I was not trying to bully them).  I was thankful that they were willing to work with me on the shipping, and I had no problem with the extra shipping charges.  

There are some really great sellers on ebay, and I appreciate those that have time to reply to my messages and are willing to work with me with things like this.

I also bought a dock (it came with 2 power supplies, and the laptop came with 0, and with everything combined I still feel like I got a good deal).  That is coming via USPS 2 day priority, but it looks like the laptop, coming via FedEx ground, will be here first.  I need to install an OS (I am thinking Slackware) then get everything else set up.

That's very true. They basically are scared out of their wits by negative feedbacks.

Sellers have no power. Buyers have too much power.

Gone are the days when a seller could actually give a negative to a buyer...

^ They may be greedy, but quite often they are really inefficient, too. The large software consultancies I'm working with now have nearly twice the internal costs for comparable quality than the SMB I was working for before. It is actually very difficult to scale a business. If you do it wrong some costs will explode, because of larger than linear growth. And synergy is too often smaller than hoped for.
Consider yourself lucky to be working with better companies now.

A little while ago I checked to see what else the seller I mentioned had available.  It seems all of their listings are gone since when I checked yesterday.  They had a bunch of stuff, so I hope they didn't get pulled by ebay because someone was abusing how things work (sellers I know personally have had competing sellers and disgruntled/mailicious "buyers" screw them over before). 

I really don't know if it is worse having buyers or sellers abusing the other group.  I do think it should be possible to give a buyer negative feedback.  I am only a buyer, and other buyers running around like idiots doing whatever they want (bidding high, never paying) makes it harder for me if I am trying to get something uncommon or at a good price.

Same thing happened to me actually...only difference was I was actually the cause of it. The seller basically closed up shop and gave up. Left and probably made a new account. Started over all because I gave him 3 negs, lol. What a dickhead!!

Same thing happened to me actually...only difference was I was actually the cause of it. The seller basically closed up shop and gave up. Left and probably made a new account. Started over all because I gave him 3 negs, lol. What a dickhead!!
The seller I mentioned also sell through their web store (or they did...nothing listed available their now either), and have a 99.7% positive rating on ebay.  They actually did a great job, and were very professional about my special requests, the packaging is some of the best I have seen (better than stuff from Amazon and others), and they were great at communicating and checking on thigs for me.  From what I can gather they have far better customer service than the company that manufactured the computer I purchased.

Hmmmmm...the seller I ****** up now has 99.7% rating as well, coincidence?
Probably.  This seller has had negatives in the past and didn't seem to freak out about it.  Is your seller from the US?

Back