Editing .conf Files On The Gp2x

prairiefire

Ultimate Frisbee Nut
Website
Visit site
Anyone know how to edit a config file on the GP2X? It's just a text file with a different extension, but it would be useful to edit it on the device itself (such as changing my gmu configuration on the go, or gmenu2x for that matter.

Shikkers posted on Dec 14 2006 at 10:49 PM said:
if you are in insert mode:
(esc) :w
awesome. do you have a good link for me to learn these types of commands? also, if i want to delete a line of text (so i have hit backspace so there are no characters on a line, how do i delete the line?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I hate vi beyond what words can express. If you don't want to use vi, you can download nano2x which I fell is much more intuitive. But it doesn't work in sterm, you have to telnet into you gp2x from a computer (you can find instructions for that on wiki.gp2x.org).

Blah posted on Dec 15 2006 at 02:16 AM said:
Personally, I hate vi beyond what words can express. If you don't want to use vi, you can download nano2x which I fell is much more intuitive. But it doesn't work in sterm, you have to telnet into you gp2x from a computer (you can find instructions for that on wiki.gp2x.org).

Please no emacs vs vi argument. Thanks.

(BTW I use vi for everything)

Last edited by a moderator:
hilarious guys... another runaway thread.... the point is i'm not connecting to a computer. this is to edit files on the gp2x.. when i'm out. Shikkers, you've created a monster. Never used sterm before, or VI, nor unix... but i've taken your link and saved it as a .txt, (along with doing the same with the wiki that lists the controls for sterm0.4.1). now when i'm remote, i can at least check the commands, should i forget them. now i'm pretty determined to learn this stuff.

cheers,

Brett

when I am out and need to edit I connect my gp2x to my laptop and telnet to the gp2x and edit the files. If I can't do the connectI copy them to the SD card and then use my SD reader (I aways carry it, the $3.oo one) and plug the USB into an available machine and "wordpad" the file.

another option, although pretty slow is to use enexfi to rename the config file to a .txt extension and use a text editor (i have KdiTor, anyone know of a better one btw?), then go back into enexfi and change the filename back to the original.

when I am out and need to edit I connect my gp2x to my laptop and telnet to the gp2x and edit the files. If I can't do the connectI copy them to the SD card and then use my SD reader (I aways carry it, the $3.oo one) and plug the USB into an available machine and "wordpad" the file.
sometimes when i'm out i bring my card reader and my gun and i find the closest person with me who has a laptop and i make him edit the files. less weight to have to carry around.

While we're on the subject of .conf files, could somebody please give me a copy of their GP2X's resolv.conf file, I need to fix that file. Its in /etc/

Back