Release Emu EX Plus Alpha ported to the Pandora

So, how well do these emu's work in comparison to the ones we already have in existing categories(SNES,Neo Geo Pocket, NES, Genis, ETC.)?

Chris
That's probably a very interesting Subject, you can start some comparison review, per machine, of the existing emulators for the Pandora, comparing side by side, feature, sound quality, video quality, accuracy, speed of emulation...
From what I know from using these with android, these have more features than on existing emulators. NES.emu has proper Zapper support, Snes9x has mouse and SuperScope support, and MSX.emu is much easier to set up.
Features are awesome, but if the emu runs sub par(speed wise), then no amount of features is going to improve the overall experience. Hopefully as ptitSeb as suggested, someone will do some side by side comparisons so we can see how these perform along side fan favorites. Thanks for the hard work and effort, this is looking promising.

Chris

Also, an interesting feature of this emu is a "Benchmark" mode. I don't really looked at what it does, but it gives you a FPS given a rom file.

What I can say is that, for Snes9x build 02, build optimizations where missing. The bench gives sub 60fps results. With build 03, I have more than 200fps on standard SNes games.

Basicaly, with the obvious exception of Saturn.emu, all emu should (with build 03) provide fullspeed performances without Frameskip, with probably GBA not completely fullspeed also (I haven't checked much this one).

Finished uploading Build 03.

For this batch, the Compiler Optimizations are set to -O3 -ffast-math, I uploaded the Saturn.emu package (link in 1st post), and the Snes9x have 2 versions in the PND. The 1.53 is the one that was there before. The 1.43 is the new (older) one. It is much faster, so if you want more speed, swithc to this one (but I don't think Save states are interoperable).

that was it, I honestly think this is the best snes emulator on the pandora now. Even at 600mhz OPP3 and frameskip 0 it runs "too fast" on some games. Defiantly running at over 100%

Last niggle, I promise, but there might be something wrong with the "auto" frameskip because it catches my eye where it will drop below 60fps every once in a while. Not horribly noticeable and it's at the point of nitpicking for sure.

I'm trying out the other ones and I think gba.emu is running a little slow too, not sure if that's a limitation thing or if the same optimizations are needed for it as well.

fantastic work man!

Looks good but i have some problems:

GBA.Emu: I needed to put 44khz instead of 48khz, or the emu will crash with segfault.

All emulators i tried have artifacts on menus.

Tested on 1Ghz with 1.53 updated, no beta drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good but i have some problems:

GBA.Emu: I needed to put 44khz instead of 48khz, or the emu will crash with segfault.

All emulators i tried have artifacts on menus.

Tested on 1Ghz with 1.53 updated, no beta drivers.
I don't have all this (I have just retested GBA.emu, at 48KHz). I tested on a Rebirth and a CC but I don't have a GHz. Maybe with the newer beta drivers it will be fixed.

gba emu crashes after 5 minutes playing on a Pandora 1GHZ, tested with diffrent games, any idea that helps?

problem was sound sample rate 48khz, i use now a lower rate, that works fine, no crashes,

:) great emu, nice work

Great to see these ported to the Pandora. Proper out of the box controller configuration and a bit of optimization and the Pandora will have the best suite of emulators in the biz. 

One thing I've noticed (am I alone in this?) the Gamma in the emulators seems a bit low.

WOW! Awesome work.  :wub:   This emulators are my favorites in Android.

One Question:

Supports external USB gamepads? (As Android versions)

Thanks!!

Great to see these ported to the Pandora. Proper out of the box controller configuration and a bit of optimization and the Pandora will have the best suite of emulators in the biz.
I agree entirely with this statement. It gives a lot of systems the much much needed polish for end user experience.

Completely solves the number 1 thing ive been complaining about for years.

2013 is turning out to be a great year for emulation on the pandora. Starting off with drastic, & ppsspp, now yabause and the rest of the .emu series and looks like well also see a fixed dosbox and a mupen64plus sometime soon.... very great year indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any chance that the Saturn Emulator could be made a little bit (or more) faster?

I dont know if this has been reported already, but try running fast in Super Mario World and you'll notice the black bar at the top - normally not visible - becomes visible through flickering. (tried in fullscreen, frameskip auto, v.1.43) It's a relatively minor issue, but it is still slightly annoying, so a bug fix would of course be welcome!

I dont know if this has been reported already, but try running fast in Super Mario World and you'll notice the black bar at the top - normally not visible - becomes visible through flickering. (tried in fullscreen, frameskip auto, v.1.43) It's a relatively minor issue, but it is still slightly annoying, so a bug fix would of course be welcome!
What are the key combination you use? Also, what version of Pandora you have (+ firmware version and SGX drivers used if not the default ones).

Is vsync something that is likely to be implemented?
For now, vsync just use the eglSwap vsync, that you setup with eglSwapInterval. If it's not enough, I may try to plug-in the "fb sync" that Pickle as created for his great eglport.

Back