Emulating other Q3A Based Games

data079

Still Fresh
Hello,

I recently started using my pandora again after a long time of it sitting on top of my desk gathering dust and I must say that I am quite impressed with the new developments, most notably the ability to run some Q3A based games (Like the Jedi Knight series) and I got to thinking about two other games based on the same engine that I would like to be able to play on my pandora as well, so I wanted to bring forth this question to the community:

Would it be possible for me to, with or without modifying the code emulate or play the game Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force? I believe it should work since the file system and base engine is very similar to the jedi knight series, but I have very little experience with working on linux so I felt it best to ask the community.

On a side note if the other is possible I'd also like to get Star Trek: Elite Force II working as well, though it would be less likely to work due to the great extent that the base engine was modified in this game.

I'd appreciate any information or advice any of you may be able to offer and thank you for your time.

Most of these q3a engine games have been so modified from the original q3a engine that you can't easily swap the data in and expect it to work. The only reason we have RTCW, JediKnight II/III is that the source code was released for us to port it. If the Star Trek games ever get open sourced It's a fair to say it could be ported to the Pandora. Reverse engineering the games would be tedious to get working on another engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, I think I understand, but if I had the source code (which has been released for both games) how difficult would it be to get them working?

P.S thanks for the quick reply

I don't know the history of those games, if the sources HAVE been released.. I'd say it may be worth asking ptitseb if he wants to take a look at porting it as he's become our resident idtech 3 engine expert.

Thanks again, I hope that he will find his way over here. The two games source codes were released by the developer that I believe has now gone out of business, you can still find the code online though.

If there is any way it could be done that would be awesome. Thanks again!

P.S Help me ptitseb, you're my only hope!

Hum, the problem is, the sources that have been released are not the complete sources, but only a part (to make mods), unless you have found better ones.

I would love to ports them (they are very good games), but without the full sources, it's very difficult...

Best shot is Elite Force II, that should run on almost same base as JK2, and it's probably possible to reconstruct full sources with the released sources + jk2 base. Not sure it will work, not even sure is 100% legal do so... May be I'll try one day (it's on my "TO TRY" list, with many other things to try).

PS: Quoting Star Wars, nice move ;)

Thanks for the reply ptitSeb, I'd sure love to see that happen one day. I'll keep and eye out for a complete source and I'll also see about emailing my old friend Chrissstrahl from hazard modding, he'd likely have a better idea of the sources involved in EF2.

P.S

I'll try to see if I can fool with your jk2 system and get EF2 to (somewhat) work, if so I may be messaging you later for advice on how to proceed on as I don't know much about this stuff.

Thanks again!

Back