Emulation - NES

Uploaded an update (r2) which should fix savestates. However the bug was in save code (corrupting internal structures that define save format), so old savestates will be incompatible, unfortunately.

Thanks for the update! I am curious how you fixed the savestate issue, so when you have a chance, could you push your changes to your public git?

Hi,

Am I the only one experiencing slowdowns with this emulator ?

I have tried two games so far, SMB1 and Excitebike. They work well for a while then they slow down, like under heavy frame skipping, and resume fullspeed after a moment...I tried turning frame skipping off, lowering sound quality, overclocking, without success :(

This is happening on a Rebirth Pandora with latest hotfix installed.

Bye and thanks,

Magic Sam

Does someone tried the NES emulation of MEKA? It is supposed to include one but I haven't tested it yet (no NES Rom on my Pandora)

@magic_sam, how long does it generally take before you start noticing slowdowns?

@magic_sam, how long does it generally take before you start noticing slowdowns?
@TrashyMG: it doesn't take long. To give you a rough estimation, I just have enough time to reach the second level in SMB1, or the third race in Excitebike, before it happens. It lasts for a few seconds, maybe a minute, then everything works fine again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once I get home, I'll see if see anything similar.. I have a rebirth unit on the latest firmware as well.

I played Excite Bike for a good 10 minutes and found out two things.. I seem to hit every mud puddle and I didn't notice any slow downs.

this is my setup running @ 600mhz

Code:
Frameskip: 0
Software filter: none
Hardware filter: none_up
scaling: 4:3 scaled
Accurate renderer : Off
Enable Sound: On
Sound Rate: 44100
Region: Auto
Turbo rate (Hz): 8
Confirm savestate: writes
Save Slot:  0

@ TrashyMG: this is weird, I have the same setup...

@ notaz: do you want me to post the output of "ps -A" ? Maybe there's some process running in the background, but I really don't know what it could be...

I have tried a lot of things: turning WiFi off, deleting appdata folder and gpfce.pnd, booting former 2.6 kernel, changing region setting to PAL, running GPFCE under OpenBox or Minimenu, etc... still no luck :(

I've noticed something new though: when the problem occurs, ghosting is even more visible than before. Could it mean something ?

Bye and thanks, Magic Sam

Well if you post more info there is more chance I can help (would prefer "ps axf" though).

If you are desperate you can reflash, but I guess you'll want to avoid that.

If you got problems with the speed, try fiddling with the frameskip options, the "Auto"-Setting does not work too well sometimes.

I had the same problem with gpfce-gp2x.

There's quite a lot of issues with "The Simpsons - Bart Vs the World" It's driving me mad and can't complete the game.

A lot of NES emulators have these problems, not sure if i've mentioned these before.

First one is a major one which renders the game un-completable.

On "The Sphinx" stage you cannot climb up the Sphinx, you can only go left and right and way off the Sphinx.

Save state  (FC1) has been included (To replicate, jump on the Sphinx and press up then left or right) 

Second issue: Throughout the game you collect pellets to throw in bags. These pellets are supposed to be a limited number but in the emulator the number doesn't go down. Fire pellets in the save state instead of climbing on The Sphinx.

Third issue: Not really a major issue but there's graphics corruption around the game too, (see FC2 for example).

There's probably more, the game is derp but heaps of fun :)

Simpsons, The - Bart Vs. the World (U).fc1.zip

Simpsons, The - Bart Vs. the World (U).fc2.zip

Attachments

• Simpsons, The - Bart Vs. the World (U).fc1.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 174
  • Simpsons, The - Bart Vs. the World (U).fc2.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 160
Back