Emulation Queries

Valeos

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
As I eagerly await my GP32 BLU, I have a plethora of questions pertaining to a variety of items regarding emulation. Nevertheless, I will do my best to only ask questions to which I cannot find a suitable answer to elsewhere. One of my primary questions at this point is:

Which emulators support compressed Roms? In addition, do these emulators support any other compression other than *.zip?

In addition, though I have seen answers elsewhere, I would appreciate if someone would be so considerate as to address the following question based on the current state of events:

Which emulators are most functional in order of ability. What I mean by this is which emulators have the support for the most games, can run at an acceptable (near full) speed, and have sound capabilities.

Though I have done some research on these topics here and on GP32Emu, I would appreciate input from some of you regarding these items. I try to avoid asking previously asked questions, but I highly respect the information that I have seen here, and would appreciate what you can provide.

Best regards,
Valeos

use the seach function
but question 1 i think the answer is no
question 2 nearly every emulator although snes is a tad slow
but always always always search first

Practically all emulators support zip files (with the exeption of gigadrive, the new genesis emulator). Too be more specific, little John (nes), fsms (sms & game gear), fgb32 (gbc), opensnes, gpengine (pc engine) etc. Im pretty sure no emulators support any compression other than zip (ex. no .rar files).

In terms of functionability, diablo2 basically said it. Pretty much everything up to snes/megadrive. gbc is sometimes a bit slow, little John is damn near perfect and so is gpengine, and thats all I can think of right now... These emulators are all VERY playable

CaSTaway (Atari ST) and Frodo (C64) are full speed (on unmodded GPs).

gMame is slow and game support is very low (Pooyan and Time Pilot seem to be the only complete games). Time Pilot is playable, Pooyan just plain sucks because it is a rubbish game.

thats because gpmame was not worked on nearly enough to make a complete mame port
of course the guy gave up
mame has a source code 100 miles long

CaSTaway (Atari ST) and Frodo (C64) are full speed (on unmodded GPs).

gMame is slow and game support is very low (Pooyan and Time Pilot seem to be the only complete games). Time Pilot is playable, Pooyan just plain sucks because it is a rubbish game.
CaSTaway is full speed? It seems kind of slow to me..

Last edited by a moderator:
about the status of emulators:
in realtity, there's something we all forgot:
neo geo pocket emulator:good enough at the moment, still no sound;it's gonna be (hopefully) released a new version sooner or later, with better everything
wonderswan emulator: don't know, absolutely

however, this is a very good community, so sooner or later i hope we will see gp32 potential fully exploited;

(about the gba emulator: does this need (further) discussions?however:goot at demos..work in progress for the rest)

Back