Emulator Version Updates

zsonance

Hey folks, it's been a while since I've logged in.

I finally got my caanoo set up with TV-OUT cable and a it looks awesome on this little CRT television I have. ( except if it's a verticle game, then i can't see everything, lol)

I was hoping someone could post some links to the most updated emulators that support TV OUT. The DRPOCKETSNES I have doesnt support it at all, neither does my Genesis emulator. GNGEO works, MAME, and my NES emulator

For most emulators that don't work with tv out, there is a workaround by launching them from Gmenu2x instead of the stock launcher.

GPSP's image will flicker a copy inside itself unless you turn off fullscreen scaling.

How do you set up TV OUT and what lead would you need to do this?  And is there anything else I'd need to download?  It'd be great to play some of these games on a larger screen :)

SammyCRX said:
How do you set up TV OUT and what lead would you need to do this?  And is there anything else I'd need to download?  It'd be great to play some of these games on a larger screen :)

You need the application to enable TV out.

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,114,597

Then you need to either buy the premade caanoo TV cables (These are getting more expensive now), or build one from a samsung/LG 24-pin USB cable.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56832-tv-out-selfmade-cable/

You might be able to make one from the stock caanoo usb cable, because although the pins are not all populated, I think it has an extra ground pin you could relocate to the Video position. Not easy though. I'd suggest against that though, since if something goes wrong you don't want ot lose your only cable. Better to get parts to build one.

Last edited by a moderator:

•  
    someoneElse said:

You need the application to enable TV out.

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,114,597

Then you need to either buy the premade caanoo TV cables (These are getting more expensive now), or build one from a samsung/LG 24-pin USB cable.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56832-tv-out-selfmade-cable/

You might be able to make one from the stock caanoo usb cable, because although the pins are not all populated, I think it has an extra ground pin you could relocate to the Video position. Not easy though. I'd suggest against that though, since if something goes wrong you don't want ot lose your only cable. Better to get parts to build one.

Thanks, much appreciated :)

Last edited by a moderator:
someoneElse said:
For most emulators that don't work with tv out, there is a workaround by launching them from Gmenu2x instead of the stock launcher.

GPSP's image will flicker a copy inside itself unless you turn off fullscreen scaling.
Unfortunately, I don't know what any of this means. LOL

zsonance said:

Unfortunately, I don't know what any of this means. LOL

Gmenu2X is an alternative menu system that was ported to Caanoo early on. You can run this as an application and then choose the game. Somehow, whatever gmenu is doing, it allows many things to run in TV out that normally do not when run from the stock menu launcher.

GPSP is the Gameboy Advance emulator. It has scaling issues with TV out, so scaling should be turned off for this.

Yoshi Dragon said:
Thanks for the info BAF. And thanks for update Bitrider. B)

Just updated my Caanoo, Wiz and GP2X with this new version.

Remarks

- The version number displayed in the emulator still shows 7.2.0
- The GP2X version does not terminate on exit, need to power off the console (happens on F100 and F200)

If you're using Gmenu2x or Open2x, just edit the link to Pocketsnes and turn on the wrapper function. The emu will exit fine then, and always return to Gmenu2x.

BAFelton said:
Did you test it on the Caanoo ? Is it better ?

I just quickly tested some games. Didn't recognize a difference on Caanoo/Wiz (only minor changes since 7.2.0 according to readme). But on GP2X, there is a substantial performance improvement, compared to version 6.4.5 from the archive.

Nightbird said:

Thanks for the info BAF. And thanks for update Bitrider. B)

Just updated my Caanoo, Wiz and GP2X with this new version.

Remarks

- The version number displayed in the emulator still shows 7.2.0
- The GP2X version does not terminate on exit, need to power off the console (happens on F100 and F200)

If you're using Gmenu2x or Open2x, just edit the link to Pocketsnes and turn on the wrapper function. The emu will exit fine then, and always return to Gmenu2x.

I'm just using the standard menu. But thanks for your suggestion anyway. It reminded me to create a little wrapper script.

I renamed "pocketsnes_gp2x_fast.gpe" to "pocketsnes_gp2x_fast" and created a new "pocketsnes_gp2x_fast.gpe" script with this content...

#!/bin/sh

./pocketsnes_gp2x_fast

sync

cd /usr/gp2x
exec ./gp2xmenu
Did the same for "pocketsnes_gp2x_compatible.gpe" and now it exits to the GP2X menu.

Back