Faster And Better Emulators?

stpat said:
Personally, I think that's a pretty shitty comment.

Seems pretty obvious to me that you have no appreciation of what's involved in improving/optimizing code.

CaanDoo said:
I know this is going to sound negative but it seems to me that a few of the devs in this scene are happy just to get software up and running and then call it a day (I don't want to name names so as to avoid offence) as if ticking a box on the CV.

Seems pretty obvious that you've jumped on the "oh, you're so ungrateful" bandwagon.

My opinion does not preclude any appreciation and gratitude for the work already undertaken by the devs I alluded to. I chose not to point out any specific examples in a vain attempt to deter comments like yours.

Well done on defeating my cunning tactic.

PS: My opinion still stands.

Last edited by a moderator:
sebt3 said:
CaanDoo said:
Show you can do better or shut your mouth

So, basically, I can share my opinion as long as you agree with it?

I can't make movies but I think Transformers 2 was shite. Does that make me wrong or a bad person? Must everything be taken as an ungrateful jibe rather than just a point of view?

So, say something constructive or you shut your mouth. Sycophant.

It fact that your belittling other peoples work (work done for free)that's annoying. Maybe a quick port is all someone has time to do or it's the best he/she can manage.

CaanDoo said:
I'm fine with anyone not sharing my point of view.and you are free to share your opinion.

But when your opinion is that someone else job is shitty, you have either to give that someone how to not make it not shitty, or prove you can do better.
All you do here is insulting everyone that are willing to take your comment for them.
Basically you're just peeing on the hands that feed you with software. Now do you start to see my point of view ? Or basically, I can share my opinion as long as you agree with it?

CaanDoo said:
I can't make movies but I think Transformers 2 was shite. Does that make me wrong or a bad person? Must everything be taken as an ungrateful jibe rather than just a point of view?
would you face the whole team that worked on "Transformers 2" and tell them their work is shit ?
Seriously you would do that and expect them to great you with hugs ?
The fact is that you would be scared a hell out of you that you might get a punch on your face. So why are you doing it here ? ahh right, you cannot gt that punch in the face so insulting someone work is not a problem anymore....

redlemon said:
It fact that your belittling other peoples work (work done for free)that's annoying. Maybe a quick port is all someone has time to do or it's the best he/she can manage.

I belittled nobody's work.

Right, I give in, you're right. Everything that anyone has ever produced that requires skills that I lack is brilliant stating any other opinion is just belittling people.

Just to be clear. I do appreciate the work done on these things (otherwise I would never have bought a Caanoo in the first place). I did not attack anyone and I did not say I didn't appreciate the work and time people give to these projects.

A tip for the OP: Don't ask again about people optimising their emu's it's unappreciative, ok? :p

But just to keep you happy I'll refrain from posting again in case I upset someone else's overwrought sensibilities. 'K, thx, bye.

EDIT: I was going to address the above but why bother?

CaanDoo said:
So many people think they can just have opinions. That isn't how opinions work. Every opinion has a reason. You think X is better than Y then you can explain why you think X is better than Y.

CaanDoo said:
Again, saying Transformers 2 is shite is an opinion, but surely you must have specific reasons and examples as to why it was shite, right?

CaanDoo said:
If you went to the crew that worked on Transformers 2 and told them it was shite, would you be surprised if they asked you why you thought that and how you would make it better? I wouldn't be. That is exactly what you've done here. You've given your opinion on a subject to the very people in position to make actions on your opinion and when asked why you have that opinion and what would be done to improve it, you get all defensive about how it's just an opinion.
You've voiced an opinion and now you're being asked to justify it. If your justifications are sound, progress will be made. However, there's a very good chance that your justifications are not based in reality, that you have a misunderstanding of how something actually works. That's perfectly alright, that's how we learn new things. Question now, will you learn or will you continue to hold your falsely justified opinion?

CaanDoo said:
A tip for the OP: Don't ask again about people optimising their emu's it's unappreciative, ok? :p

But just to keep you happy I'll refrain from posting again in case I upset someone else's overwrought sensibilities. 'K, thx, bye.

Say you think gpsp should get X or Y feature from the pandora port. What I would expect is that you post in the right thread that having X and/or Y feature would be nice / cool whatever.
Say you have found a bug in the apple II emulator, I would expect you to report in the apple II thread hat you ound a bug (and if you can, say how to reproduce the problem).
Theses constructives criticism are welcome : it push the thing forward. (they will even be received with warm hugs)

Saying that current ports are "quicks" ports without saying which port and for what reason is indeed useless thuss insulting.
Do you realize that some of these "quicks" ports might have received weeks (even months) of works ?

I agree that many software on the caanoo might lack a certain level of polish we might want in. If you want your opinion to matter, take the 5 minuts it need to list in your head what app/game/emu need more love, visit their release thread and post proposition to improve the software.
If you dont even want to take these 5 minuts, then you consider that your 5 minuts worth more than the weeks/months spend on providing the software in the first place and that indeed insulting.

EDIT: wizardStan point of view on the matter is good too ;)

EDIT2:
CaanDoo said:
EDIT: I was going to address the above but why bother?
I could have adressed some of your issues, but why bother ?
See it work in the 2 ways. ;)

This argument is pointless and going nowhere.

The fact is, If the device had more exposure, the chances of developers wanting to make projects with it would be more likely, and we would probably see some different emulators that may or may not run better and/or faster..

For now, just enjoy what these awesome people have created for the Caanoo already, and shut up

I really don't understand why this hatin' about the caanoo. Although it's not the perfect emulation machine, it does its job quite well, and certainly better than most of its competitors:

-SNES emulation is excellent (not perfect, but compatible with most games, and most of them run at full or almost-full speed)
-NES emulation is excellent (this is a basic in all devices)
-Gameboy emulation is compatible with most games, and fullspeed. (GBC is another story, though)
-Megadrive/Genesis emulation is excellent, compatible with most games, and fullspeed (Mega CD / 32x is another story)
-Master system/ Game gear (i haven't tried, but i've read that it's good)
-NeoGeo and CPS2 emulation is excellent.
-MAME is as good as version 0.37b can be. It even supports more roms than the original 0.37b.

I could go on listing more emulators, but i think you get what i mean.

The only things i think could be improved are GBAdvance and GBC emulation. But you must remember that 99.9% of the caanoo's software is made by caanoo users in their freetime, so you may ask for improvements or features, but you have no right to demand anything to them. Also remember that the perfect emulator does not exist.
Well, ZSNES and BGB (both for PC) are the only exceptions.

Also, as said earlier, if you want to request a fix or feature, you may do it in its corresponding thread.

thanks hi-ban - i also dont see why people are complaining so much about the emulation... the games i've played (not so many, ok) were playing fine. and if they didnt, i just said to myself "well it's emulation, what can i expect?"

the main problem i *think* is how the caanoo gets advertised.
GPH advertises it as an emulation device (correct me if i'm wrong) - and people are therefore expecting perfect emulation and dont see that GPH themselves dont do anything about that.

crow_riot said:
the main problem i *think* is how the caanoo gets advertised.
GPH advertises it as an emulation device (correct me if i'm wrong) - and people are therefore expecting perfect emulation and dont see that GPH themselves dont do anything about that.

I find this as well. Many websites that sell Caanoo will list all the systems that can be emulated, but do not mention that emulation is not perfect for all games. So people have expectations that simply aren't true.

What the community has been able to do for the Caanoo is pretty amazing, especially when they know how limited the audience for their work is. It really is very nice to see.

CaanDoo said:
sebt3 said:
CaanDoo said:
Show you can do better or shut your mouth

To be fair, I partially, but only partially agree with what you are saying. I think the Genesis, SNES, MAME, SMS, NES, and PSX emulators are all excellent. I think the GBC and GBA need work. No deadzones on the GB/GBC emulator is probably the biggest drawback. The fact the person who was working on the GBA emulator gave up after the first release sucks too. I would say whoever ported this emulator is guilty of what you are excusing them of CaanDoo. I'm not going to slam your comment as you're entitled to your opinion, especially seeing as you bought the product. I commend all of the people who have worked on the great emulators too for the Caanoo, and lay no fault at the feet of those who have done such great work.

Back