Emulators need to be created at stock GP32 Speeds

Icefox231

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
It's just a waste of time releasing a product where you have to push your GP32 to it's max just to run decently. I know, if it isn't coded well it wouldn't run good at stock speeds, but does anyone else find this annoying? I wish developers would try at stock speeds instead of starting a emu at 166 :)

:) I agree, I haven't got my GP32 yet but once I do, i am not going to overclock it until i'm comfortable it will not damage my GP. The only thing needed for overclocking is pc ports and emulators right? Commercial games won't require overclocking...right??

i have to disagree.... slightly... i think all programs should offer the oppurtunity to overclock. its very difficult to produce a snes or genesis emulator and the oppurtunity to run it faster just makes things a bit easier (for some people)

Stock speed on the GP32 is 40MHz ;). I don't think most EMU's are going to run well at that no matter how good the coding. Speeds upto 133MHz are fully supported by the GP32 (and well used buy commerical software and EMU's)

On another note not many EMU's are released at anything over 133MHz that I can find. I can find loads that users have tweaked up to 166MHz but that's hardly the developers fault.

I think the developers should make 133mHZ to standard.. Would not be good at all if 166 would become standard speed.. I don't oc. But it can do 156mHZ.
And a slower version would be good for those who like to save theri batteri life.
And a faster for those who wants to oc.

I am happy that Craigix didn't discover the real speed of DooM before, as he wouldn't have optimized the code, and now we wouldn't have a full-speed DooM with music!

I prefer to consider the overclock as the last resort to make a fast application. ;)

I agree that overclocking is no substitute for optimized code, but for some emulators, overclocking is the only option to get a descent speed

Not necessarily. A full speed fs0 Genesis emulator with sound WILL NOT be possible within 132 MHz...

...ok somebody prove me wrong :)

I'm ok with 166mhz etc being included even though i cant reach even 150mhz but if the emulator ran at full speed at 156mhz/166mhz i'd be quite annoyed if they stopped development at that point + didn't make sure it ran at full speed for 133mhz :(

Rico posted on Sep 19 2003 at 05:53 PM said:
Not necessarily. A full speed fs0 Genesis emulator with sound WILL NOT be possible within 132 MHz...

...ok somebody prove me wrong :)
Hmm, I don't think anyone'd really need one. But one that had FS2/sound and 95-100% speed would be kind of nice, and slightly more possible. Ok, perhaps not with sound unless you jump to FS3, but still....

*Ahem* back on topic - I reckon 132MHz should be the maximum minimum speed used by a program - i.e. the highest value that dev'rs should use as their minimum speed if they're going to have an OC option in the proggy. Optimised code is a LOT better than jacking up the speed...

But it's also more work...

Last edited by a moderator:
i vote make them any speed at all. the fact they run is amzing and im happy. when the next version handheld comes out then we will have bags of spare clock cycles from the current emus.

Optimised code is a LOT better than jacking up the speed

tell microsoft that

Let's clear this up once and for all, shall we?

Unless a program can run at 133Mhz, then there is no point. Not everyone can run their GP32 higher than the "safe" 132/133Mhz speed, and to have to overclock the unit just to run a program is ludicrous!

If someone releases a program and states that it can only be used at it's "proper" speed at, say, 166Mhz, then that programmer is cutting out most of the users - Please bear in mind that this unit will be on general release soon, and if people start to hear that the programs are being created where the user "may" have to OC their unit (And possibly damage it permanently) just to use it, then this may deter users from bothering to get the GP32! (Considering the release of the Palm hand-held coming soon!)

Overclocking is no substitute for optimizing!

So long as it defaults to 133mhz I don't care. Having the option to overclock is fine. If i'm at home I use the clocked snes9x with sound. On the train I use the 133 version with no sound to conserve batteries. Clocking options are a good thing, so long as you are not forced to use them.

NightStar posted on Sep 22 2003 at 12:13 PM said:
Let's clear this up once and for all, shall we?

Unless a program can run at 133Mhz, then there is no point. Not everyone can run their GP32 higher than the "safe" 132/133Mhz speed, and to have to overclock the unit just to run a program is ludicrous!
Ludicrous?

Lets see you do one then shall we?

you guys realise that these guys are doing these for nothing?

What your forgetting is some of these EMU's just wont run at full speed without the unit being clocked higher, so what, live with it, they nearly all come out as 132 as the default, its up to you to clock them higher, i for one am happy most of them have the option there.

Im prity sure every one of these developers are trying there best to make it as fast as posible, i find it more annoying that you all have the cheek to moan about it. Furthermore, nearly every EMU im guessing your all moaning about IS still in development, i cant think of a single EMU thats finished that the developer has released and left it as higher than 132 (except snes9xgp, but his official release isnt higher either, the fact its slow is besides the point here)

Ludicrous.... WTF is that all about

:angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
i do agree with the stock speed thing. i mean look at the gba it can emulate pcengine (not sure how fast...) pretty well and that does only, what, 16mhz? but i am not going to complain because of using 133mhz, at least you can play your games :p

This is silly. All emulators I know of are already made at 133MHz (except maybe the leaked private GBA emulator). They later added options to overclock or other people later patched the code to make it overclocked. Adding options to overclock cannot compare to optimizing code because it's usually just a few minutes of work, where as optimizing can take hours, days, years.

Optimizing isn't just something where effort = optimization, it's really a hit-or-miss procedure, especially on a relatively new development platform like the GP32.

Furthermore, all of the emulators we have right now are not out of beta stage. Some aren't even out of alpha stage. This means the programmers are still in the midsts of optimizing. It's rather rude to claim they add overclocking options to avoid optimizing.

Back