Engagdet Crushes The Joojoo Tablet

rsuryase

Techcrunch CEO should be glad he didn't made it the Crunchpad.

I wonder what kind of review Engagdet will give for the Pandora. One of the 4000 buyers should lend one to them.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/05/fusion-garage-joojoo-review/

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/51704-ipad-what-do-people-here-think-of-it/page__view__findpost__p__836296

edit:
Chip himself wants to hand over a Pandora to Engadget, btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really like how he mostly focuses on flash on the video.... other that this his argumentation does seem quite decent.
Maybe he's a bit harsh with the half finished software thing, then again he might well be right.

Also I haven't touched or used this device and so have most ppl here. I don't see the need to say the reviewer is wrong just because it's engadget.

Also honestly I don't really see what this tablet does better than the Ipad beside flash video. (and believe me I am not an apple fan)
If they try to do something similar to the apple experience but worse I don't see how this can be a good thing. I just can't see the niche this tablet fills.

That being say, I am definitely impressed when I see a small company coming up with a product that look that good.

Alerino said:
I'm still about to see a more stupid thing than iPad/JooJoo likes devices ... why does this crap draw so much attention?
Honestly, i just don't get the point of those things...

1) inadequate form factor: not pocketable
2) poor battery life for what is made for
3) no multitasking
4) gets really warm
5) no physical controls (ok ok, not a gaming handheld, but can also be frustrating)
6) no usb host / sd card
7) expensive
8) poor/no Fash
9) fingerprint friendly
10) stupid proprietary connectors (from APPLE)

these are a few arguments why we have sticked with the pandora project for nearly 2 years...

Because sometimes, you'd gladly trade a longer list of features for something that does fewer things very well. gp32x.de users tend to like the former. Nothing wrong with that. Just don't assume everyone else on the planet thinks like us.

Besides, I still have a clocks around the house that only tells time and a flat screen in the living room that doesn't have internet access.

The Ipod, Iphone has made a big impact on the world. I have a feeling the Ipad will do the same. Wish their Ipc aka Mac were more successful though :p
Microsoft crushed them, now probably Google will.

^I believe it's called an "iMac."

Alerino said:
I'm still about to see a more stupid thing than iPad/JooJoo likes devices ... why does this crap draw so much attention?
Honestly, i just don't get the point of those things...

1) inadequate form factor: not pocketable
2) poor battery life for what is made for
3) no multitasking
4) gets really warm
5) no physical controls (ok ok, not a gaming handheld, but can also be frustrating)
6) no usb host / sd card
7) expensive
8) poor/no Fash
9) fingerprint friendly
10) stupid proprietary connectors (from APPLE)

these are a few arguments why we have sticked with the pandora project for nearly 2 years...

The JooJoo's Flash Player is one of its selling points, and I don't think it has any proprietary connectors.

Alerino said:
Fat Agnus said:
Because sometimes, you'd gladly trade a longer list of features for something that does fewer things very well. gp32x.de users tend to like the former. Nothing wrong with that. Just don't assume everyone else on the planet thinks like us.

Besides, I still have a clocks around the house that only tells time and a flat screen in the living room that doesn't have internet access.
ok, i can admit my opinion is biased, but i still believe in convergence and its potential, especially when you don't want to spend hundreds and have several useless or obsolete gadgets laying around.

Edit: for the reviews i've been reading, neither iPad nor Joojoo aren't performing very well at their only function... Here's the Wired review of the JooJoo in case anyone thought Engadget was too harsh.

http://www.wired.com/reviews/product/pr_joojoo_tablet

I plan to buy the 3G version of the iPad after having played w/ a coworker's wifi only version. The lack of SD card support really chaps me. Which is a bonus with the Pandora's dual SD slots when the 2nd batch eventually makes itself available for regular orders.

Otherwise, the iPad IMO is fantastic at what I spend 80% of my computing time at home doing anyway: consuming various web/audio/video content, email, and casual gaming. For retro gaming, I still have my trusty gp2x (until Pandora batch2) and my arcade cabinet. For consuming long length audio/video content, I'm heading to my living room to the PS3/Tivo on the big screen. To create/edit content, I'm heading to my mac and win boxes.

My relatively recent laptop doesn't really get used except for when I need to create/edit content outside of the house or office. It's not so great for the things I describe above (even though it can handle them) because the battery life doesn't last that long, it's not instant-on like a phone, and trackpads/eraser mice aren't as good of a pointing device as a mouse or good multi-touch glass. Also, the laptop isn't light enough for me to hold like a phone.

Not an Apple fanboy but I think the iPad fits in a niche use just like a retro gaming device/console. Comparing these different classes of device reminds me of the Arcade Cabinet versus GP2X video I made years ago. I'm not going to fault the GP2X for not having a coin slot...

I already preordered the 3G with accessories, cover, USB port + SD card reader add-on.

Alerino said:
Fat Agnus said:

ok, i can admit my opinion is biased, but i still believe in convergence and its potential, especially when you don't want to spend hundreds and have several useless or obsolete gadgets laying around.

Edit: for the reviews i've been reading, neither iPad nor Joojoo aren't performing very well at their only function...

typs lik dis said:
The JooJoo's Flash Player is one of its selling points, and I don't think it has any proprietary connectors.
I was thinking about iPad. Still, Joojoo's Flash is not so good, according to the review.

The choppy flash playback on the joojoo is due to the lack of GPU acceleration of the nvidia ion chip in flash 10.1 beta. They simply haven't implemented it yet in the linux version. It should be present in the windows version.

Fat Agnus said:

IMO, for a start-up, it is better to have as many functions/features as feasible. The reason for that can be easily seen with the typical response we give to the "pandora alternatives": "That may have A, but it doesn't have B,C,D,...". It's simply much harder for someone else to happen to target the same specific niche Pandora has (with so many features geared to that specific niche).

Now, making a product that does a single function very well runs the risk of being replaced by another product in one go. And success depends on being able to deliver a product that indeed does "do one function very well", failure to do this is just disastrous (like the JooJoo).

There's simply no way a device like this could hope to not be completely and utterly crushed by an Apple device which the market audience perceives to be "the same." It doesn't matter if it offers some things that the Apple one doesn't (flash, multitasking) or some nicer hardware (Atom, bigger screen), even if it did everything else just as well as the iPad (wasn't buggy as hell) it'd still get crushed. You can't directly compete against Apple.

I wonder what'd happen if Apple tried to actually deliberately enter the gaming market (handheld or console, maybe even both?).. they already took a huge chunk of the handheld market without even aiming for it...

Apple has way more market power than Microsoft, so long as we're talking about anything that's not a desktop computer ;p

Exophase said:
Apple has way more market power than Microsoft, so long as we're talking about anything that's not a desktop computer ;p

It will be interesting to see what Sony chuck into the ring in terms of a Slate type PC, could be great if they don't try and cripple it with proprietary formats.... Hmm not much chance there then. Still, the format is highly attractive as an ebook reader alone.

Back on a pandora note, whoever sends a Pandora for review to Engadget or wherever would be well advised to enclose a description of the intended purpose of the device, which I seem to remember was a hand held retro gaming PC with built in controls. Might help get a fair response from the critics.

Mr Loon said:
whoever sends a Pandora for review to Engadget or wherever would be well advised to enclose a description of the intended purpose of the device, which I seem to remember was a hand held retro gaming PC with built in controls. Might help get a fair response from the critics.

I think Engadget are well aware of the intended purpose and target audience of the Pandora, after following it for the last 2 years!

Pleng said:
Mr Loon said:
whoever sends a Pandora for review to Engadget or wherever would be well advised to enclose a description of the intended purpose of the device, which I seem to remember was a hand held retro gaming PC with built in controls. Might help get a fair response from the critics.

I think Engadget are well aware of the intended purpose and target audience of the Pandora, after following it for the last 2 years!

Yeah. Maybe some description to the folks at Wired.

rsuryase said:
Apple Bandai Pippin game console from 1996 FAIL. :lol:

The difference between mid-90s Apple and 2010 Apple is like night and day. May as well be a totally different company. With SatanSteve Jobs at the helm they just can't fail.

Exophase said:
I wonder what'd happen if Apple tried to actually deliberately enter the gaming market (handheld or console, maybe even both?).. they already took a huge chunk of the handheld market without even aiming for it...

I think that this should be qualified with "... of the US handheld market". Apple's not that viable in other arenas, is it?

Honestly I've never wanted an iPhone, they're godawful expensive, have a bunch of apps I don't need, and aren't really feasible without a $30 a month data plan. Also the second you drop them their glass screen spiderweb cracks. If apple can get me a data plan that's not outrageous I might get an iPhone... if someone else can do the same, I'd go with them. It's just not worth it when I do a cost/benefit analysis of the current cell-phone market. But then the people who buy iPhones aren't necessarily doing that either.

/lament

rabidpoobear said:
I think that this should be qualified with "... of the US handheld market". Apple's not that viable in other arenas, is it?

Good point, although all I can really counter that with is "I don't know." I'd be surprised if Apple weren't at least somewhat viable in Europe. Japan? I doubt it, but you never know. Maybe they'd at least be more viable than Microsoft.

rabidpoobear said:
Honestly I've never wanted an iPhone, they're godawful expensive, have a bunch of apps I don't need, and aren't really feasible without a $30 a month data plan. Also the second you drop them their glass screen spiderweb cracks. If apple can get me a data plan that's not outrageous I might get an iPhone... if someone else can do the same, I'd go with them. It's just not worth it when I do a cost/benefit analysis of the current cell-phone market. But then the people who buy iPhones aren't necessarily doing that either.

/lament

Personally I've never owned an Apple product, but in their defense I have very little interest in gadgets.

Back