Engines For Heretic/hexen/hexen2

Pickle said:
Geekster said:
Just tried out Hexen 2 with the included demo files. I thought it was nice to include to demo files since it made it just a simple drag n' drop to test it out.
As I was trying to figure out the controls I found it a bit weird that "A" causes you to look up. Had to start to start the level over to reset the view. Also, I think using A+X as alternatives for "Menu" and "Select" in the menus would be nice and keep it consistent with the Wiz menu. Using "B" for attack makes more sence to me as well, but since that can be changed through the menu it's not really a problem. Having the default be "B" and "Mouse1" would be better IMHO.

Other than that I was really impressed. Great job! :)

Does the A key still do that? was is mismapped? I thought i set all the keys.

I went and bought the steam versions, everything runs. The exp pack for hexen can be run by modidying the existing script to have "-file hexdd.wad" following hhexen-sdl like :
"hhexen-sdl -file hexdd.wad"
The exp pack for hexen 2 wasnt included so, still have no idea if that works.

In Hexen, every time I exit try to leave 'The Guardian of Fire' stage, the Wiz crashes to the menu. Is there any way around this?
*Also, where are the save games for Hexen stored? In Heretic, they're stored in the 'heretic' folder, but I can't find the saves for Hexen anywhere*

Last edited by a moderator:
Hombre Blanco said:
Pickle said:
Geekster said:
Just tried out Hexen 2 with the included demo files. I thought it was nice to include to demo files since it made it just a simple drag n' drop to test it out.
As I was trying to figure out the controls I found it a bit weird that "A" causes you to look up. Had to start to start the level over to reset the view. Also, I think using A+X as alternatives for "Menu" and "Select" in the menus would be nice and keep it consistent with the Wiz menu. Using "B" for attack makes more sence to me as well, but since that can be changed through the menu it's not really a problem. Having the default be "B" and "Mouse1" would be better IMHO.

Other than that I was really impressed. Great job! :)

Does the A key still do that? was is mismapped? I thought i set all the keys.

I went and bought the steam versions, everything runs. The exp pack for hexen can be run by modidying the existing script to have "-file hexdd.wad" following hhexen-sdl like :
"hhexen-sdl -file hexdd.wad"
The exp pack for hexen 2 wasnt included so, still have no idea if that works.

In Hexen, every time I exit try to leave 'The Guardian of Fire' stage, the Wiz crashes to the menu. Is there any way around this?
*Also, where are the save games for Hexen stored? In Heretic, they're stored in the 'heretic' folder, but I can't find the saves for Hexen anywhere*

Im past that section so something may have coruppted your save.
look for a hidden folder for the saves, like .hexen

I agree that we need more controls for these games. Currently as far as I could tell in Heretic, it is impossible to manually change weapons at all. prBoom has a similar problem in that it *requires* weapons to be mapped to individual buttons, and given the lack of keys on the Wiz we either need the ability to map a "cycle weapon" key, or someone's going to have to get really creative with the Touchscreen and hacking of the game's UI (which is very unlikely).

I was also thinking that adding "quadrants" to the touchscreen to map as buttons would really help, and/or a "shift"/modifier button would pretty much double the button count, which is both great and necessary. I do not use, nor do I ever intend to use, the touchscreen for aiming/shooting. Because these games were never meant to freelook, so though modern engine implementations have added this feature, it is by and large unnecessary, so the ability to use the touchscreen for something else would be wonderful.

I also think a modifier key would be super useful, as I currently have Vol Up/Down mapped to Inventory Left/Right, and adding a modifier key would mean I could use Vol Up/Down for Inv Left/Right OR Weapon Left/Right. This would be WONDERFUL, especially given that there is currently no way to cycle weapons (that I know of).

Pickle: I have some (limited) coding skills, but I'm willing to help out in getting these things working, if you're interested in getting some help for this, as I'm sure you're probably busy with other projects. Feel free to PM me if you'd like some help with this, I've got some other ideas for stuff that could use tweaking, if you're willing (minor stuff - a slider for turning speed [it's too fast for me, currently], some menu/interface adjustments, etc). It's time I actually contributed to a project or two around here :) Otherwise great port, I'm really excited to get all the Doom Engine games working perfectly, and we're so close already. Thanks!

Illuminerdi said:
I agree that we need more controls for these games. Currently as far as I could tell in Heretic, it is impossible to manually change weapons at all.

Y + vol up/down should change weapons

Illuminerdi said:
I agree that we need more controls for these games. Currently as far as I could tell in Heretic, it is impossible to manually change weapons at all. prBoom has a similar problem in that it *requires* weapons to be mapped to individual buttons, and given the lack of keys on the Wiz we either need the ability to map a "cycle weapon" key, or someone's going to have to get really creative with the Touchscreen and hacking of the game's UI (which is very unlikely).

I was also thinking that adding "quadrants" to the touchscreen to map as buttons would really help, and/or a "shift"/modifier button would pretty much double the button count, which is both great and necessary. I do not use, nor do I ever intend to use, the touchscreen for aiming/shooting. Because these games were never meant to freelook, so though modern engine implementations have added this feature, it is by and large unnecessary, so the ability to use the touchscreen for something else would be wonderful.

I also think a modifier key would be super useful, as I currently have Vol Up/Down mapped to Inventory Left/Right, and adding a modifier key would mean I could use Vol Up/Down for Inv Left/Right OR Weapon Left/Right. This would be WONDERFUL, especially given that there is currently no way to cycle weapons (that I know of).

Pickle: I have some (limited) coding skills, but I'm willing to help out in getting these things working, if you're interested in getting some help for this, as I'm sure you're probably busy with other projects. Feel free to PM me if you'd like some help with this, I've got some other ideas for stuff that could use tweaking, if you're willing (minor stuff - a slider for turning speed [it's too fast for me, currently], some menu/interface adjustments, etc). It's time I actually contributed to a project or two around here :) Otherwise great port, I'm really excited to get all the Doom Engine games working perfectly, and we're so close already. Thanks!

I brought most of these ideas up on my previous post:

Neil L said:
el_capitan said:
While mapping buttons to various functions in hhexen2, I mapped a function to the touchscreen (center view). It occured to me that if the touchscreen were divided up into four separate areas, then a press in each of these areas could have a different key-mapping. You wouldn't be able to press more than one of these at a time, however they would be adequate for look up, look down, fly up/down or weapon/item cycling type commands.

Is this possible with Wiz?

I've noticed this with the touchscreen also, I can't see why it wouldn't work. (If you move the stylus around you get a bit of movement, so there's more there than just a tap for 'mouse1')
If the touchscreen was divided diagonally into 4 triangles (top, right, left & bottom) and bit in the centre (all mapped to keypresses) it would be perfect as we're struggling for buttons on these games.
(This would give us an extra 5 'keys' to map from the game's options screen. (e.g. for 'look up', 'look down', 'look centre', 'inv. left' & 'inv. right')
The touchscreen works with prboom, hheretic, hhexen, hexen 2, ioquake2 (but not eduke32, quake 1, rise of the triad or wolf4sdl)
Cheers, Neil

Edit: I was also thinking, could a shift button/s be added? (To help with the lack of buttons)

e.g.
'Dpad up' coded to emulate button press 'a' mapped (from the game's options menu) to 'walk forward'
'L + Dpad up' coded to emulate button press 'b' mapped (from the game's options menu) to 'look up'
'R + Dpad up' coded to emulate button press 'c' mapped (from the game's options menu) to 'weapon up'
'Dpad right' coded to emulate button press 'd' mapped (from the game's options menu) to 'turn right'
etc.

Cheers again, Neil

Hopefully somebody with a bit of coding knowledge could help. ;)

Neil L said:
Hopefully somebody with a bit of coding knowledge could help. ;)

The only problem with the touchscreen idea, is basically becomes unusable if the game is under/over clocked.
I added a 'shift key' to handle flying i think i used Y

Back