England V France

lizard808uk

Child of the 80s
Website
Visit site
Its a tough decision. I'm going to side with England and a 2-1 victory, but thats because I'm a) English and B) support my team :)

1st goal - Roonevator special. From a million yards out. Possibly deflected off Desailly.

2nd goal - Tezza Henry skips past the whole of midfield and defence and launches a screamer into the bottom corner.

3rd goal - Penalty kick in the 95th minute after Desailly elbows Owen in the chops.

There are weaknesses on both sides. The French defence is looking creaky with Desailly being hopeless at Chelsea this year, and Lizerarzu being 35+. Whereas the English midfield can attack very quickly leaving open spaces behind them. (e.g. Frank Lampard in the diamond against Japan)

I just wish we didnt take Joe Cole and Emile Heskey. They are defintely England's "weakest link" by far and I hoped Sven would include some "fringe" players like James Beattie and Shaun Wright Philips. Unfortunately Sven is going with the tried and tested route - I have no problem with this, just can't wait to see how it plays out.

Anyway these are my thoughts. Probably not right but who cares? Whats everyone elses take on it :)

The squad has already been submitted to UEFA. He has already selected Emile Heskey and Joe Cole.

I think our week side is still on the left. Everyone was like "Oh wow we dont have a problem after all, Scholes was superb" against Iceland, but they seem to be forgetting the fact that it's only iceland. Sure Scholes might be a good passer, and he is good going forward, but I question his defensive qualities against a team like France.

Anyway, I'm going to be optimistic and say 0-0 draw.

No, just because everyone needs to know the proper name for it :)

Oh, and I hate football (not soccer) anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone who thinks 'soccer' is the original or correct name for football is wrong. Not being fussy or argumentative - just stating the facts.

And as much as I'd like to say that England are going to beat France 5-1 (man I LOVE that score ;) ), I'd take a guess at France winning by a single goal. We're a difficult team to break down, even with France's abundance of attacking power, but we won't be able to hold them at bay for 90 mins. And I seriously doubt France will have another Senegal/World Cup nightmare...for many of their key players this will be their last tournmanet, and they'll want to prove something.

I think football is a lot better than that other welsh sport :D
:p

People who don't like football (and it is football, soccer came from Associated Football and was used as slang in universities many years ago) bug me. To really love a team and to care so much is one of the best feelings in the world!

I like playing football for a local team and the feeling you get when hitting the sweet spot on the volley and scoring is just indescribable. Its comparable to riding a Harley and being at one with the road. Instead here your one with the ball I guess.

I used to go to Highbury and watch Arsenal and the crowds are just phenomenal. (Esp. in the family enclosure). I'm not about to convert anyone here, but its just the level of appreciation for someone's talents like Thierry Henry or in other sports - the sheer athleticism on display. (I remember Vince Carter doing some insane slam dunks a while back).

Back