England V France

I loved the game. Roonevator was a legend in the making. Its not often you get someone run 60 - 70 yards for a half chance at goal. The boy done good :)

On a side note, in my pub, people were chanting "Albufeira, Albufeira, it'll be alright tonight, it'll be alright tonight" sung to the music of the Chicken Tonight adverts. I don't whether to laugh or cry :blink:

France are pretty bad right now (so making the Croats look better). So I think we have a good chance of beating the Croats. Also helps that a draw also equals qualification. :)

Bringing on Kieron Dyer instead of Heskey was an important substitution. People say that Heskey can "hold the ball up", but when you have outright pacey players like Dyer, Rooney, Beckham, Hargreaves, Vasell etc.. who needs to "hold the ball up" anyway?

Bringing on Kieron Dyer instead of Heskey was an important substitution. People say that Heskey can "hold the ball up", but when you have outright pacey players like Dyer, Rooney, Beckham, Hargreaves, Vasell etc.. who needs to "hold the ball up" anyway?
Amen, Dyer is the fastest man in the woooooooooorld!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
outright pacey players like beckham and hargreaves HA HA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OMG OMG!! Czech Republic v Holland was the best match Ive seen in the last few years. [Should be highlights later]. 35 shots in the match. Nedved and Davids had outstanding games. Completely speechless :) This match underlines why it is "the beautiful game".

OMG OMG!! Czech Republic v Holland was the best match Ive seen in the last few years. [Should be highlights later]. 35 shots in the match. Nedved and Davids had outstanding games. Completely speechless :) This match underlines why it is "the beautiful game".
Agreed. I felt Holland were a little unlucky to lose the game, but both teams played some beautiful football and I wouldn't be surprised if either team went on to win the whole tournament...if it were not for the fact that Holland always explode in a shower of egos after spending a few weeks with each other.

Don't watch soccer/football, but I think some people have a point. Football (the tackling kind) is the opposite of Soccer. In Soccer, you need to move the ball with anything but your hands, in Football (again US) you MAINLY use your hands. The exception is that the goalie can catch the ball with his hands in Soccer, but he still needs to kick off. So I ask, why did we Americans decide to call it FOOTball when the object of the game is really to run to the other side and spike? That's a bigger objective then kicking it over the goal post.

Don't watch soccer/football, but I think some people have a point. Football (the tackling kind) is the opposite of Soccer. In Soccer, you need to move the ball with anything but your hands, in Football (again US) you MAINLY use your hands. The exception is that the goalie can catch the ball with his hands in Soccer, but he still needs to kick off. So I ask, why did we Americans decide to call it FOOTball when the object of the game is really to run to the other side and spike? That's a bigger objective then kicking it over the goal post.
My guess is that US Football was derived from Rugby, also known as Rugby Football. These two games obviouslly share much more in common than the game from which Rugby Football took its name, Football aka soccer. Football name's origins are obvious, but Rugby was coined when a some prick attending a school in Rugby, England decided to pick up the ball during a game of Football and run with it to the goal.

And soccer, incidently, was an affectionate term used by upper-class twits for Football. They also called Rugby 'ruggers', which was cause enough to shoot them all and make the world a better place.

Great, the one game I miss to go to a barbecue... It rained too.

Back